“Lovely staff but average rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP
Ranked #31 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Cambridge, UK
“Lovely staff but average rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

My cousin and I had a room booked here as we were arriving late and didn't want to drive too far in the dark.

The first member of staff to greet us was very friendly and efficient. The room we had given however was not very good. There has obviously been a previous client who had ignored the no smoking rule and the room stank. There was some gadget running in the room, probably to try and get rid of the smell, but we didn't want to stay in it! As the phone wasn't working either, my cousin went downstairs to ask for a room change.

Number two person on reception did this for us and our second room was much nicer. Clean, good channels on TV and plenty big enough with two double beds for us.

We did ask at reception where we might eat and were told there were plenty of places on the road outside. After searching for ages we found nothing suitable and ended up in the garage over the road. After choosing a few snacks, the girl at the counter there told us we needed to drive back out and past the airport to find the restaurants. Shame La Quinta didn't tell us that.

The breakfast in the morning was really decent. A good selection of cold things and coffee on the go. I used the microwave to heat water and had my own t bags, so if you prefer tea, take your own.

All in all a decent one night stay. The hotel was not as clean in the corridors as I would have liked, but the staff were great and we got a great deal on the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many times on our way home from Naples. Stayed 2 nights this visit. We used points to stay this time (8k/night). Alexa was so accomodating to get us a room around noon, hours before check in. We could tell that they have updated since our stay last December. New paint, new carpet, bedding - it was very nice. The bed was comfortable which is sooo important to me. Breakfast simple. It is about 25 min to beach but we are there to visit family. Love that we can bring our dog. My only complaint the heated pool was freezing and usually it is wonderful. Will be back again next year.

• Stayed December 2011
Providence, ri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed at this property for four nights-11/26-11/30. From the first day until the last, my room key did not want to work, at various times. Think about this: you go to the third floor, try using your key and it won't work. You go back downstairs to the front desk, they give you another key and that one doesn't work. Repeat two more times and you get the idea. The hotel itself is dated, but my room was okay. The TV's are new and have a lot of stations, but there was nothing to show you what were what. There was a microwave and decent size frig. that came in handy. The common areas were not clean when I was there and they were really dated. The breakfast in the morning was basic, but at least it was plentiful. The "associates" were nice and at least helpful, especially that first day. The location was not the best, but I know my way around. Getting to the beaches would take around 15-25 minutes on a good day. Overall, the property needs some serious updfating.

Room Tip: Try getting a room away from the main street. The traffic on Ulmerton Rd is constant.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We picked this hotel because it was close to home and we could check on our teenager. This was for Our 12th Anniversary. We got the king bed with microwave and refrigerator. The beds were very comfortable with 6 pillows.There was a couch and chair and a table with chair too. You may have to ask for an extra chair.This room was HUGE!!!!! The bathroom is big too.
The pool was heated for us Floridians and there was a hot tub. We loved how it was in the middle of the hotel.
There was a continental breakfast. They had cereal, hard boiled eggs, muffins, and bagels.But if you want more of a choice there is a Bob Evans within walking distance. There is a Chic- Fil A for breakfast sandwiches or Lunch.
Over all we really enjoyed our stay. It was very quiet. I did say there needs to be more trash bins.
They are doing up grades in sections of the hotel 11/27/2011. There is an elevator. We used our AAA discount and saved $15.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Coast, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

This hotel was OK, but we were very upset because twice we called ahead and asked about their pet policy and if there was a weight limit and twice we were told NO. When we got there we were told the weight limit was 45lbs and our dog was over that. I was very upset, since we specifically asked this and what made us even more mad is the way the manager handled it. She said there was no way any of her staff would have not known this, well they didn't. Also she was so rudely insistent of this as well as asking me over and over that I better not have my dog in the room, they would be checking. She said this about three times!! That is NO WAY to treat a customer, even if I was wrong, which I wasn't. Could not find anything on their website, either, about the weight limit. I will NEVER stay at another La Quinta again, just because of how RUDE she was about not being wrong. So, be aware if you have a larger dog and you want to stay at a La Quinta and make sure you get it in writing if they say there is no weight limits. Also, they have a rediculous pet policy form you have to fill out.

Room Tip: Get the pet policy in writing, don't believe what they tell you over the phone!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

The rooms are basic; however they just added HD TV's to all rooms with HD service. The beds are very comfortable and breakfast was good. The AAA rate was great.

• Stayed September 2011
Winter Haven, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

First, I have to say that, in the past two years, I have become quite a fan of La Quinta. I stay at this chain frequently for business and pleasure. In fact, I accumulated enough rewards points that I only had to pay about $15 for this stay.

But, even without a discount, the rates are usually unbelievably low for a place that meets the standards of comfort, security, and cleanliness usually found at a La Quinta. I don't know how they do it, and still provide amenities like wifi, breakfast and parking for free, when so many other establishments charge for those privileges. Often, as on this visit, the room includes a microwave and minifridge, which help the budget-conscious traveler save even more.

Sometimes, the LQ also offers a surprising oasis in its pool. Sure, a resort pool would be larger and more luxurious, but I have spent many fabulous hours swimming at these hotels. On this particular occasion in Clearwater, I blissed out, floating in the somewhat hexagonal pool with its cobalt blue tiles and silky water, completely alone for most of the time, watching the airplanes pass overhead, and recalling as many memories of post-amniotic swimming throughout my life as I could conjure.

My husband preferred the hot tub, which was too hot for me to luxuriate for long. The heat and pulsating jets soothed his sore muscles and arthritic back, but made him sleepy, too. After more than two-and-a-half hours in a lovely zone of tropical pleasure, complete with twenty-plus palm trees, we went upstairs to shower and prepare for dinner.

A downside of this location is its position on the not-so-driver-friendly Ulmerton Road. It's tricky to find the correct place to turn in upon arrival, and it's somewhat dangerous at night, when cruising for a place to eat. We had limited choices available at almost 10 pm on a weeknight.

Despite our exertions and going to sleep around midnight, we awoke at 6 am the next morning, well-rested and ready to start our day. The mattress, sheets, etc. were very comfortable. Considering the presence of a coffee maker on top of the microwave, my husband did not feel any need to venture downstairs for the free breakfast, but I brought a hard-cooked egg, peanut butter, an apple, and a decaf coffee upstairs to accompany one of the cherry turnovers we had bought at the nearby Publix.

We had a great time without much expense. Check-out was fast and courteous. And the desk clerk, who checked us in the day before, took his time to answer all of my questions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple