“A great get-away with our Yorkie”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP
Ranked #31 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We picked this hotel because it was close to home and we could check on our teenager. This was for Our 12th Anniversary. We got the king bed with microwave and refrigerator. The beds were very comfortable with 6 pillows.There was a couch and chair and a table with chair too. You may have to ask for an extra chair.This room was HUGE!!!!! The bathroom is big too.
The pool was heated for us Floridians and there was a hot tub. We loved how it was in the middle of the hotel.
There was a continental breakfast. They had cereal, hard boiled eggs, muffins, and bagels.But if you want more of a choice there is a Bob Evans within walking distance. There is a Chic- Fil A for breakfast sandwiches or Lunch.
Over all we really enjoyed our stay. It was very quiet. I did say there needs to be more trash bins.
They are doing up grades in sections of the hotel 11/27/2011. There is an elevator. We used our AAA discount and saved $15.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 2, 2011

This hotel was OK, but we were very upset because twice we called ahead and asked about their pet policy and if there was a weight limit and twice we were told NO. When we got there we were told the weight limit was 45lbs and our dog was over that. I was very upset, since we specifically asked this and what made us even more mad is the way the manager handled it. She said there was no way any of her staff would have not known this, well they didn't. Also she was so rudely insistent of this as well as asking me over and over that I better not have my dog in the room, they would be checking. She said this about three times!! That is NO WAY to treat a customer, even if I was wrong, which I wasn't. Could not find anything on their website, either, about the weight limit. I will NEVER stay at another La Quinta again, just because of how RUDE she was about not being wrong. So, be aware if you have a larger dog and you want to stay at a La Quinta and make sure you get it in writing if they say there is no weight limits. Also, they have a rediculous pet policy form you have to fill out.

Room Tip: Get the pet policy in writing, don't believe what they tell you over the phone!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The rooms are basic; however they just added HD TV's to all rooms with HD service. The beds are very comfortable and breakfast was good. The AAA rate was great.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 8, 2011

First, I have to say that, in the past two years, I have become quite a fan of La Quinta. I stay at this chain frequently for business and pleasure. In fact, I accumulated enough rewards points that I only had to pay about $15 for this stay.

But, even without a discount, the rates are usually unbelievably low for a place that meets the standards of comfort, security, and cleanliness usually found at a La Quinta. I don't know how they do it, and still provide amenities like wifi, breakfast and parking for free, when so many other establishments charge for those privileges. Often, as on this visit, the room includes a microwave and minifridge, which help the budget-conscious traveler save even more.

Sometimes, the LQ also offers a surprising oasis in its pool. Sure, a resort pool would be larger and more luxurious, but I have spent many fabulous hours swimming at these hotels. On this particular occasion in Clearwater, I blissed out, floating in the somewhat hexagonal pool with its cobalt blue tiles and silky water, completely alone for most of the time, watching the airplanes pass overhead, and recalling as many memories of post-amniotic swimming throughout my life as I could conjure.

My husband preferred the hot tub, which was too hot for me to luxuriate for long. The heat and pulsating jets soothed his sore muscles and arthritic back, but made him sleepy, too. After more than two-and-a-half hours in a lovely zone of tropical pleasure, complete with twenty-plus palm trees, we went upstairs to shower and prepare for dinner.

A downside of this location is its position on the not-so-driver-friendly Ulmerton Road. It's tricky to find the correct place to turn in upon arrival, and it's somewhat dangerous at night, when cruising for a place to eat. We had limited choices available at almost 10 pm on a weeknight.

Despite our exertions and going to sleep around midnight, we awoke at 6 am the next morning, well-rested and ready to start our day. The mattress, sheets, etc. were very comfortable. Considering the presence of a coffee maker on top of the microwave, my husband did not feel any need to venture downstairs for the free breakfast, but I brought a hard-cooked egg, peanut butter, an apple, and a decaf coffee upstairs to accompany one of the cherry turnovers we had bought at the nearby Publix.

We had a great time without much expense. Check-out was fast and courteous. And the desk clerk, who checked us in the day before, took his time to answer all of my questions.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GetawayPlanner2016
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I had a reservation for this location for 2 months, The day before my trip I called just to verify they still accepted pets. I was told yes and was not advised of any restrictions. Upon arrival(after driving all day) I reiterated that I had a pet. The front desk person asked me if my pet was under 45 lbs and I responded no, she is 100lbs. I was then advised that LaQuinta now has a pet policy of NO PETS OVER 45 LBS. I then asked, "Are you saying that I cannot stay here?" I received a very blank stare and no verbal response, I am a Gold level member and have never been treated so rudely at a LaQuinta. I should have been advised of this supposedly "new policy" when I called. Needless to say, I have nothing positive to say due to the above. Note;I have a show dog that is better behaved than most children and a dog under 45 lbs. I pick up all of my dog's waste, cover the beds, etc. Too bad LaQuinta will loose business from dog show patrons.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gabygoo
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We chose this LaQuinta for price, closeness to the beach, and the Jacuzzi for a one day get away. The front desk staff are more than efficient and very friendly. Very accomodating with directions to the beach and restaurant choice. The room was very clean and everything in working order. Bed comfortable. Our room had a microwave and fridge which was a nice touch. The pool area was very clean and well kept. Pool was heated. It is on the small size but a very relaxing atmosphere. Jacuzzi was clean, though a bit hot for my taste. The breakfast was the typical LaQuinta breakfast. Waffles, bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc. Breakfast area was very clean and tidy. We will definitely be back next time we need a break.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2011

In fairness, I will start by saying that it was my lack of attention to the details of the reservation, and our guaranteed late arrival (only two rooms left when we arrived at 6:30 PM) that sealed the deal for us to be placed in a smoking room on this particular trip.

However, what really bothered me is what I learned from the staff at the hotel: even if I had requested a non-smoking room when I made the advance reservation, the La Quinta chain does not guarantee that they will honor smoking preference at time of check-in in any case. I have since contacted La Quinta Corporate, and they have confirmed that this is their corporate policy, that they changed to this policy a few years back. This information is on La Quinta's website in very small print, but not prominent; I never noticed it until I looked for it. In the future, I will make sure I only reserve at a place that can guarantee me a non-smoking room.

Aside from our clothes smelling like smoke for the rest of our trip, I would say it was an okay place to stay. The king mattress being shot, making us "tilt" to one side in the bed, was the only other real problem. The room was reasonably clean, generally comfortable (but we didn't spend time there except to sleep), and spacious. There was an extra-big mini-fridge and a microwave in the room. The free breakfast was not fancy, but was perfectly sufficient and delicious. All hotel personnel we encountered were polite and friendly. The indoor pool, hot tub, and exercise room looked nice, but we didn't get to use them. The place was easy to find from I-275 and was in an area with lots of restaurants and retail establishments on a major road nearby.

The guy who checked us in understood why we were upset about the smoking / non-smoking policy, and told us that he'd cancel the second night and not charge us if we wanted to find another place to stay after the first night. However, the area was pretty booked up, and we were in town to do other things besides spend time finding another hotel, so we stuck it out and did okay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple