“Great for the price”

Ranked #73 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Youngstown, Ohio
“Great for the price”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We have stayed here for 3 years running. I checked a lot of places to stay in and this was by far the most reasonable. Yes it is an older place so you don't get all of the fluff but you're not paying for fluff. The water view rooms have a beautiful view of the inlet and as long as you don't mind loud music from Shepherd's next door (and we never have) it's a great place. The people are VERY nice, and VERY helpful. I would have no problem staying here again and again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
KY
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I have read some reviews on here, some good some bad. Alot of complaints about run down, dirty carpet ect..... Well yes, it's older, run down some, weird smell but thats all cheaper hotels on the beach. You don't get edgewater quality with 120 a night you should know better than that. Good location no seaweed at all while we were there. Music stopped at midnight from sheppards but could hardly hear it when the A.C. is running anyway and we were on the corner next to it( by the way, the house band was very good from over there so if you like music stay on the balcony and enjoy). My daughter became very sick while there with the stomach bug and the staff went out of their way to help us with everything we needed like new sheets, blankets and 4 new towels. The manager let us stay past depart time for a few hours to let her rest and asked us to let them know if we needed anything. Beach is a little small no crowds and found alot of counch shells. I will answer all inquirys honestly, There are nicer places to stay but for 120 a night "beachfront" you won't get better. you get what you pay for but I would stay there again, no problem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
ms
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My family was just in clearwater June 20 & 21st. Let me just say I was not impressed. It's nasty. there's only 1 elevator that is slow grand-ma will make it down the stairs before you get off. and the parking is a JOKE!!!!! we drive a yukon xl an the staff called b/c we were parked to close to the line not on it or over but to close ok these people will have you towed. There is no beach to this place and you can hardly swim because of all the boats an jet-skis docked. it is pretty much a party spot. not family friendly. Now we went down to the public beach area and it was nice. I do not see myself ever going back. I will stick to Panama City Beach

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Henderson, KY
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I Read read reviews and could not believe my eyes. We stayed with 2 Adults 3 Kids and we felt very safe with no problems. The staff especially [Roy] in maintance went out of their way too make our stay pleasant and comfortable. We stay there every time we go too Clearwater Florida We would not stay anywhere else. We stayed there at least 4 years in a row. So everyone just about knew us. Lee & Linda Stone Henderson KY

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Maine
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We checked into the Econo Lodge after dark. We wanted a beach front room with a view of the water and beach and not the parking lot, so we took a smoking room. (my best friend is a smoker, Im not ) First we noticed the entire smoking floor reeked like a bar room that had never been cleaned. Carpets were stained in the hallway by the elevator and smelled bad. Upon entering our room we noticed a strong stale cigarette odor as if it had never been aired out. We were very tired and didnt want to relocate so we opened the sliding glass door, as the windows don't open and hoped it would air out. Later that night we wanted to use the microwave and found something had exploded in it. Then we saw sticky residue on the table and chairs. I decided to call the night front desk staff and ask for something to clean up with. He was very nice and brought us bacterial wipes. The phone had either pizza sauce or ketchsup smooshed into the mouth piece and the cradle was greasy and had food crumbs in it. We cleaned up and decided to address the room being dirty in the am. The covers of the beds reeked like a bar so we threw those off the beds. The next morning before I went down stairs to the lobby, my girlfriend says to me,even though she is a smoker, the room is rank smelling. I pulled the curtains back and we found there were 2 large greasy hand prints on the sliding glass door side by side, urine around the base of the toilet,coffee and pizza residues on the room information packet.
I went to the lobby before 8 am asked "Pete" at the front desk if the hotel manager was in. He said no. I then asked if he could help me and that's when the situation became worse. He replied in a surly voice, "well I don't know if I can help you". I told him about the filthy room and his response, "I just cant believe that". I told him I'm not lying and that he could observe the room for him self. He then said, "why didnt you move to another room?"I told him we were tired and felt we could deal with the smell by airing it out and really wanted to be on the beach with the nice view. We didn't realize how filthy it was until the next morning when it was daylight. He then says again in his surly voice, "well what do you want me to do about it?" I said, clean the room? He said again, "well I just cant believe its that bad". At that point I was angry and insulted and told him Your an [-] and he pointed his finger at me and told me I was being thrown out of the hotel and he was calling the police. I am not kidding! I then said, he really was an Arrogant Rude [-] and left for my filthy room. Other folks witnessed this and were shocked that he could do that, but I guess once you pay and stay the night you don't have any recourse.(I will add that the evening desk staff upon checkin was very pleasant and gave us a discount of a few dollars due to the smell of the room, oh and that the front lobby was very clean). We called the Thunderbird Hotel in Treasure Island and were told to come down, take a look, no obligation, they would hold the room for us. We discovered a wonderful place to stay. After I shared my experience they have us a 20% discount for each night, a room right on the beach and even helped us move our stuff when we had to do a room change the next day to another beach front room. So, I threw away 130.00 at the Econo Lodge. BTW the next day I spoke to the General Manager of the Econo Lodge by phone and haven't heard back from her since. She said she would review the security video and that they don't wash the bed covers or blankets daily nor weekly. This is before she tells me the person who was there before us, smoked heavily in the room for 10 days. She says they use an ozone air cleaner. I did not receive an apology. BTW Im almost 50 years old, work part time as a secret shopper and have never been treated so poorly, in all the years I have traveled around the world. Buyer Beware. There are better places to stay and the parking is very tight.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank oceanviewmaine
michigan
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I just got back from a 5 day vacation at the econolodge on the beach. This was a great place with very friendly staff and kept very well (especially for being right on the beach) BEAUTIFUL VIEW !( large window facing the gulf overlooking the pool and also a balcony on the corner)The weather was cold but we thoroughly enjoyed watching the dolphins from our room and also the heated pool and hot tub. I read some reviews that the music from Sheppards (next door)was too loud. Actually we thought it was nice ( we are near 50 yrs old) and if you get tired of it all you need to do is close your doorwall. I don't think that I would go there during spring break though.(I am sure that it would definitely be at that time) WE WILL DEFINITELY RETURN TO THIS BEACHFRONT RESORT AGAIN.

• Liked — the view, the pool and the hot tub, the staff !
  • Disliked — nothing !
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank gardens100883
Louisville, KY
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Me and my wife and two kids stayed and we had the best time . The employees was great and stayed on top of everything. I loved the view . I felt safe and slept great, this is not the first time we have loved our stay. So for some one to say that it was not safe has fell and bumped there head or trying to find a free place to lay there head .

• Liked — view and people
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)