“Buyer beware!”

GulfView Hotel - On The Beach
Ranked #73 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
“Buyer beware!”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This place is a nightmare! Our room smelled like vomit, there was blasting, bad music coming from the bar next door. We were told they stop at 1:00 am. When I complained the front desk accused me of harboring unregistered guests because they observed my daughter and her husband who live in Clearwater coming to pick me up for dinner. In other words quit complaining. They did offer me a new room but it was a smoking room and smelled worse. The staff is rude. REALLY RUDE. Unless you're here to get stinking drunk stay away! This place is for drunks and party animals only!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Apersonhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. Please read reviews, I wish I had....
Rooms were plain nothing fancy as noted in other reviews. While furnishings were outdated the rooms were basically clean.
We had booked two rooms for three nights, after the first night we as if we could change rooms the front desk informed my husband there were no rooms - no one was checking out. After seeing guests checking out I approached the front desk he said he had no rooms and hadn't my husband already asked????... I replied yes, however I saw guests checking out, he said he had no non-smoking rooms and reluctantly showed me a smoking room on the second floor, which we declined. I had been told the noise next door at Sheppards would probably stop around 12, it didn't.
After calling Choice Hotels we were refunded one room for the last night, not the second room, the second room was eventually refunded. While asking for a refund we did mention that my sister had seen a roach in her room, which we did see and killed - we didn't run down or call the front desk we just killed it. In the reply email from property manager she stated: "Issues of bugs were reported only when the request to amend reservations was initially declined. We thank you for bringing it to our attention and after thorough inspection of both rooms, we are pleased to report that we have not found any. We participate in a preventative pest elimination program that sprays every month." I'm glad they haven't found any and happy they do have an exterminator, that doesn't negate the fact that we did see a roach.
The front desk manager was extremely arrogant.
In an email received from the property manager, she stated: "The City of Clearwater’s noise ordinance does not limit the volume or the hours at which the next door establishment operates." However there is: "Noise – Section 3-1508.B
Excessive noise can be a serious problem for residents
....... Excessive noise
is defined as that which can be heard 100 feet from .....emission of noise that may be loud...... To report noise violations, call the
Clearwater Police Department at 562-4242."
After our experience with the noise I also was told that Sheppards is always in violation - they just pay the fine...

So No I would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you do stay stay on the side next to Quality Inn
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sstann

Travelers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

minnesota
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This Econo Lodge is beach front on the island of Clearwater Beach. It has a small area of sand beach, a small (heated) pool, a small (heated) jacuzzi, a small beach front deck, and a small price as far as beach front properties go. We have stayed here many times, most recently January 2012, and it has always been just fine for us. It's not new, it's not fancy, but it is beach front. We like to get the rooms on the "city view" side. Yes, you get the music from the resort next door, but we don't mind that. The balcony view let's us watch all the boats going in and out of the harbor, and the dolphin viewing is amazing. Internet is free, morning coffee is free, and some ok packaged breakfast stuff. The hotel has free parking, but is within walking distance of plenty of really good restaurants. Most of all, Clearwater Beach itself is a short walk away and an absolutely gorgeous beach.

Room Tip: If you don't like to listen to live music at night, choose a room on the "bridge view"...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you are expecting fancy, don't stay here but the hotel is right on the water and right in the middle of all the action on Clearwater beach. The pool and hot tub was nice and it had a gas grill outside.. Great sunsets. The room has a fridge and stove top. Very basic room but it was clean. Some con's: If you want a quiet location, you might not like the music at Sheppard's resort next door. Holiday weekends gets a bit crazy on the beach. Older folks probably won't like it and might be better off renting a little studio condo. If you are just looking a place to lay your head and want to experience Clearwater beach, this is a cheap way to do it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dutch D
Pinconning, Michigan
Reviewed December 23, 2011

There are so many different hotels in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Petersburg area, I was having a hard time deciding where to stay. While this hotel near the beach is not as inexpensive, I figured it would be nice to be near the ocean. The hotel itself wasn't bad. The room was clean and comfortable. The view wasn't really impressive, as all I saw was other hotels. And I think that's the biggest issue. When you walk out to the back to the beach, all you really see off in the distance are more resorts. The beach area is relatively small and restricted. I'm just not sure it's worth it unless you have plans in the direct vicinity.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Beachfront resort is not what comes to mind when staying here.Furniture is old and carpets are stained. Staff not really friendly and views from the rooms are very poor.Beware as nice photos and reasonable prices can be fooling.You get less than what you pay for here:( Much better deals are to be found when you look around the area.

Room Tip: Even though they were not even close to being full they would not give us a better view room, only p...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Quality_Hunters
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Shopped around and couldn't find a better rate. Staff was polite and helpful.Sure the rooms have signs of use but are clean and kept clean a/c worked great. Continental breakfast as promised and was told before we took the room about the band next door playing until (midnight) and it wasn't a problem, because if your staying at clearwater beach your probably going to be up that late anyway. Most of the rooms don't face the beach but you do have access to the beach with a jacuzzi and a pool. I thought it was a great weekday deal @ 67 dollars a night plus tax. And as far as sand being in certain places. Its the beach your going to have that,and if there was sand one day the next morning it was clean. Would definatly stay here again if you don't think its a deal shop around like I did.

• Stayed August 2011