“What's that smell?”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach
Ranked #24 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I visited this hotel for our babymoon Valentines Day weekend. We reserved an ocenview room (616) and the view was spectacular! When we arrived in the room, we noticed a funny mildew/moldy smell but thought that maybe the smell was coming from the water in gulf. Having a pregnant wife with an aversion to smells can be challenging at times so we always pack a candle when traveling. We went to dinner that night and came back to the room and it was like being punched in the face by the odor. We checked the fridge and looked everywhere but couldn't determine where it was coming from. Luckily the weather was pleasant so we slept with the sliding door open. The next day we spent most of our time exploring the area and we thought surely that when the cleaning crew came, they would notice the smell and figure out the source and take care of it. Needless to say, when we came back that afternoon it was a funk on top of funk smell. The next morning I went down to the front desk to let them know about the smell in the room and they indicated that they would set off an "odor bomb" in the room. We needed to be out of the room for a couple of hours so we went to breakfast and hung out. We returned about three hours later and the room had not been touched. The front desk apologized and asked if we wanted to move to another room. They did not have another room that had the same or comparable view so I declined. They eventually cleaned the room and set off the "odor bomb" Needless to say, it didn't work. This time it was a flower on top of funk smell so we opened the sliding door to get some relief. If the view from the room was not spectacular, I would have packed up and left after the first day. The staff attempted to solve the problem but they didn't. It's hard for me to imagine the cleaning crew not smelling that horrid smell and not being proactive about finding a solution. The night before the end of our trip, we noticed ants coming from the kitchen sink, so we think that the kitchen drain was the source of the funky smell.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Craig D
GM-ClwrBeach, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience with our hotel during your stay last month. Your willingness to share this is greatly appreciated and allows us an excellent opportunity to review the situation and discuss solutions to ensure this does not happen again to another guest. I am terribly disappointed the effect this had on your stay with us. We will rectify this situation immediately and look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,
Christine Bottger

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn for spring break and we really enjoyed it. The location is great. You can walk to the beach and the restaurants. Jimmys restaurant at the hotel was very good and beautiful view right on the water. We saw dolphins right from the pool spot we enjoyed with a great bar and good entertainment.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My family has stayed at this Holiday Inn the past couple years & we love it!! Rooms are very clean, within walking distance to the shops & the beach. Nice pool area with a tiki bar. Large parking lot. Spectacular views.. great for dolphin watching & beautiful sunsets!! The hotel also has a restaurant called Jimmy's Fish House that offers great food, an outdoor patio with awesome views & our favorite server, Trish. She was so helpful with all our questions about getting around the area. She made us feel right at home & we really enjoyed talking to her. We ended up eating all our meals here because it was so enjoyable!! We have plans to go back next month & we will definitely be staying here again!!

Room Tip: We upgraded our room to one with a view & were very happy we did.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were only here one night with a group of high school band members. The hotel was wonderful to us and was a great place to stay with the kids because it was within walking distance to everything. We enjoyed some appetizers and beverages in the evening, on the outdoor deck, while listening to a guitar player and it was the perfect way to unwind after our bus trip there. We had breakfast on the deck as well, which was delicious. I would love to go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from 25th February to the 7th March. The hotel reception was welcoming and very helpful. We used the safety deposit box facility right from arrival, but I didn't get the feeling it would have been a problem, everything seemed very secure. I'm a wheelchair user so to have an adapted room I didn't have the option of a nice view overlooking the gulf which to be honest wasn't a big deal to me, you could see the same view from the pool/bar area. I need a bit of a nap mid afternoon so asked if the room could be cleaned early as the maid tended to be cleaning the room just before 3pm. Again it was no problem, reception got right on to housekeeping and they made sure it was organised. We had some cockroaches in the bathroom and again reception were right on it, so it surprises me to note that in some of the reviews I read before we went, there was lots of criticism them, I really found them to be endlessly helpful and efficient. If I had to find something to grumble about then I didn't like the little plaque outside the room saying "Handicapped Room" and I thought the return spring on the bathroom door was a bit keen. Any else stopping this from being a really good holiday was all down to the cold weather!

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the Gulf side of the building.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is my 2nd time here-previously in March 2011- for a short trip to Phillies spring training. Please note that if you go this time of year the place is full of Phillies fans, and it is a sociable jovial group. They are not loud or rowdy, just happy fans on a fun vacation. We had a late check-in due to flight delays (and blessedly the bar was open until late so that was a great stress reliever). They had moved us to an upgraded room that was not what I wanted. The desk person was very nice, and worked on it until they could come up with a better fit for what I requested, and gave us chit for a free drink. Don't you just love when a service industry actually gives good service. The room was clean and quiet with a partcial gulf view. No place right on the gulf is cheap in high season, but I sure feel like I got my money's worth.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Keeping in mind that this is a Holiday Inn and not the Four Seasons, this hotel was a very nice oceanfront getaway. While our room was average (should've upgraded to Gulf view when there was still availability!), the impeccable attention to detail by the housekeeping staff made it seem like a much nicer place. I'm pretty fussy and their hard work met my standards. The front desk staff also deserves a gold star or two. They went above and beyond including sending up a AAA battery for my insulin pump when the old one fizzled out at 11:00 pm. And they didn't even charge me. We bought week passes for the Jolly Trolley / bus system and traveled down the coast to explore other beaches even though Clearwater Beach was fabulous and just a long block away from the hotel. We weren't nuts for the restaurant on site although service was excellent. In general, most casual restaurants offered mostly lots of fried food. The three best bets for us were Gondoliers, ihop and Clear Sky Beach Cafe which was very good. Bring a multi-plug or power strip with you . . . the room was seriously short on places to plug things in.

Room Tip: Pay for a gulf view room. It's a huge regret we didn't book one when we still could have. Av...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple