“NOT so HOT”

Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Nashville, Tennessee
“NOT so HOT”
Reviewed January 3, 2006

Everything about this hotel was disappointing except for the beach. We stayed in one of the "renovated" rooms. Only certain aspects of the room had actually been renovated. The fixtures had not been replaced in the shower (showerhead and towel rack & had rust and mildew all over) The tile floors in the bathroom had also been left with substancial brown mildew. You felt filthy after getting out of the shower.

The rooms were small and the views on both sides were disappointing. Ours overlooked the roof of lower floors with loud airconditoning vents. The other side of the hotel overlooked a parking lot.

I would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank fly_high5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Serbian first
Reviewed December 28, 2005

I had seen a number of reviews savaging this hotel, many of which were written during a renovation project. The front desk staff were well aware of that, and you could tell they were sensitive to it and wanted to change that image.
I got my rooms online at a good price (less than the Super 8 in my hometown in Pennsylvania), so value is relative. Had I paid an extremely high rate, my review might be more tepid. The rooms are stock motel-room size (unless you go for a suite, which my friend had). But they were clean, everything worked, service was fine, and the rooms had a great view (even from the fourth floor). No bugs, no sand on the floor, no odor. Design was typical "Florida seaside." I'm sure I could harp on something negative if I gave it more thought (which many people focus on; I've been guilty of that too, even after staying at some five-star hotels in Europe). But when all is said and done, we remember the positives about the sunshine, warmth and location.
Great restaurants within walking distance, you're on the shore, and an hour north my girlfriend and I swam with manatees (note: go around Jan-Feb.). It all made for a spectacular and romantic getaway.
The staff was friendly, so they won us over ... and put to rest our worries about those negative reviews.
Incidentally, this was my first major trip with my girlfriend at the time. I think I won her over, too; we're now engaged!

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 21, 2005

Just got back a fews days ago after staying at this hotel for a week. This hotel is fabulous!!! The staff went out of their way everyday to say hello or ask if there was anything they could do for us. It is exceptionally clean and in a perfect location! And let me just say that this is the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on! It is so plush & has a ton of pillows! The bath towels are gigantic and are also very plush! Every morning a USA TODAY was delivered to our door around 6:30 or 7:00. We stayed on the 9th floor and had a fabulous view of the beach! The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is that the bathrooms are about the size of a shoebox. I wouldn't let it stop me from staying there again though! After reading other reviews, I was looking forward to "Pier 60" with the shopping & the nightlife. I have to say it was a little disappointing, but it is within walking distance. Maybe it was the wrong time of year to visit the pier. Overall, I would give this hotel a 9.5 out of 10 (the bathroom is the only thing that kept me from giving a perfect score).

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Just got back from a weeks stay at the Hilton Clearwater. I have to say I was a bit concerned going there after Virgin advised there was some refurbishment taking place there, but I need not have worried. We didn't even notice it was going on untill we saw some builders in the car park! Hotel is right on the beach, next to Pier 60. We got a top floor refurbished room which was spotless and well stocked with towels and tolietries. View from our balcony was on the beach and the pier so we could see the sunset over the sea- very nice! (I think we got this room as we went with Virgin and they get their customers this prefered view). Staff were excellent- our safe wasn't working when we arrived so we mentioned this to the front desk and within 5 mins we had 3 men round to fix it!

I would definately use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank birdseye
Reviewed November 23, 2005

We had read some good reviews of this hotel, and it features in a lot of English holiday brochures which is why we sayed there. My overall opinion of this hotel was that it thinks it is something that it it is not. It is NOT a 'resort' as claimed and I don't think it is 4 star either, when compared to other hotels. It has a monopoly on the beachside location - which is excellent - so if you need to stay in 'hotel' as opposed to a 'motel' in Clearwater Beach, then this is the only one and they will get your business. What may have tainted my view was the room. Of all the views you could get at a beachside hotel like this, It was my luck to get the back of the hotel overlooking the main street. It was noisy all the time even with the doors closed. The room was dark as there was no main light, only lamps on one side, which mean that the area where the coffee machine was was difficult to see. The emphasis at this hotel was on charging for everything. There were minimal TV channels available as standard, although you could pay for others. Movies had to be bought - which is fair enough for recent releases or brand new ones - but $13 for 10 year old movies? - I think not. Internet access - which I don't mind paying for - was expensive also.
The hotel had kids clubs, but again, these were expensive - I think $40 dollars for three hours. the communal facilities in the hotel, like the bar etc, were all well presented, as were the conference rooms that I found myself in after a few wrong turns. Again, my other gripes are about price - $25 for two chairs and an umbrella? $5 for a beer in a plastic cup for the beach? I paid only £45 ($75) per night for this hotel which I booked through a travel agent, and I think that this is a fair price having stayed there now. I did try to book an additional two nights (mainly because I couldn't find out whether Naples had power) and the hotel wanted $245 per night! I moved to the Howard Johnson just down the road after I had picked myself up off the floor.

Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
March, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2005

Stayed at this hotel Oct 27th to 29th very good hotel. We stayed with Virgin and renewed our vows it was wonderfull the staff very helpfull nothing was too much trouble despite Hurrican Wilma the beach was cleared up within two days you would not know anything had happend. The room we had was on the top floor and was a good size as for the bathrooms it was no smaller than any other on our trip. I had read the bad reveiws but found none of the problems.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank parkgirl2013
UK
Reviewed November 2, 2005

We stayed here for 2 weeks with Virgin Holidays. After booking i read many reviews on this site & i panicked. Alot of the reviews were awful & i considered cancelling. However we went & heres what we thought............
The hotel location was excellent, the room was ample big enough for 2, the bathroom was fairly small but again it was enough for our use. The rooms were a little dated but didn't impact on our stay. The pools were nice, not too busy and very clean. The beach is fantastic, truly the best i have stayed on. There are several restaurants close by, & even more if you walk around & find them!! The resort its self was quieter than i was expecting & a car really is needed to go out & explore. The staff at the hotel were the best i have come across in any hotel, expecially the staff who worked in the various bars. We had a brilliant holiday, went to Busch Gardens & Sea World, visited a few shopping malls. Honeymoon island is lovely & a trip down the coast to St Petersburg is good too.
The only thing i was disappointed with was the resort of Clearwater, although it was friendly & nice to walk round, there was much less variety of places to eat than expected & generally much smaller & quieter then thought. But that aside we had a brilliant holiday & its worth a visit

• Stayed September 2005