“Great Location for Phillies Spring Training”

Magnuson Hotel Clearwater Central
Ranked #59 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Vero Beach, Florida
“Great Location for Phillies Spring Training”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We have just returned from a four night stay at this motel. The location could not be any better. A very easy walk to the ballpark, short drive to Clearwater beaches, and many restaurants in the area. A complimentary Continental breakfast was more than adequate--bagels, pastries, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee. The pool area was very nice and relaxing. The room and the bathroom appeared clean. The furnishings and decor though were dated and worn. The blanket was rough and I did not want it on the bed--never mind my body. The first morning there I awoke to a very large, dying bug on the carpet. I'm a Florida resident and have gotten over the bug thing, but this was larger than a Palmetto. I couldn't shake the "yuk" factor the rest of my stay. I researched places to stay before reserving this one and I can't remember why I chose Travelodge. I would stay here again next year but only if the savings were significant because there are other hotels in the same area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I had a problem with my room the 1st night I checked in. When I asked the front desk what they could to make up for my inconvenience, she called the owner and called me back to let me know they removed the charge from my credit card and gave me the room free of charge.

When we came back there to stay again 2 days later, they had upgraded us to a two-room suite (at no additional charge) with a full kitchen, living room and bedroom with a balcony overlooking the pool area. What a classy way to make up for a mistake! Thank you.

Room Tip: Near the pool is nice!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We used the stay at this location when it was econolodge. The most of the things changed since than . We liked the pool very much . I would definately recommend

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband & I just returned from a12-day stay at this Travelodge. We have had extensive experience with this property, having stayed there in its previous incarnations as an EconoLodge, and also during its sharp decline as the Buena Vista Hotel.

I am happy to report that The Wyndham Corporation and Travelodge have made great strides! Travelodge took over the property in 2011, and since then has been working to renovate and improve every aspect of the hotel. An employee shared with me as we checked out that while only 60-some rooms were available in 2011, they are now up to 96 renovated rooms, and work is continuing on the remaining rooms.

Our stay here (March 6-18) was unremarkable, and I mean that in a good way. We found our room to be clean and comfortable. One minor quibble: our hot/cold bathtub spigots were mis-marked! Other than that, we had no problems. Along with the room, we found the front desk staff (especially Ann) to be friendly and attentive, and the housekeeping staff does a very good job. Can't comment on the pool, simply because we were too busy to visit the pool this trip!

All in all, we were very satisfied, and have already made our reservation for next March.

Room Tip: Travelodge is pet-friendly and also offers rooms to smokers. Be sure to be specific if you are plan...
Broomall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 15, 2012

When I reserved this room over seven weeks before arrival, I had requested a first floor room, as my wife has knee problems and uses a cane. On arrival, we were given a second floor room (no elevators) and were told that, what with its proximity to the concurrently active Phillies spring training complex (why we were there also), no first floor rooms were available.
The other problem was that the shower head on arrival needed a new washer, with almost as much spray emanating every which way from the connection as from the nozzle.
To me, the mark of a good consumer experience is not necessarily that everything is done perfectly at the outset, but the merchant's willingness and ability to admit responsibility for problems and try his/her best to rectify it. In this regard Kelly, the franchisee, was stellar. When a cancellation opened up a first floor room, he moved us to it for the second half of our four-night stay.
He was apologetic about the shower head, saying they were gradually rooting out a bad batch they had bought. More importantly, he had the faulty shower head fixed within a few hours of notification.
Kelly was friendly, pleasant, helpful, and forthcoming at all times. All the other staff members we encountered were also friendly and courteous. Our rooms were generally well-maintained and very clean. The complimentary breakfast was good, fresh, and cleanly and neatly displayed, though it would have been nice to have included a few more hot items beside waffles, toast, and drinks. To be sure, when a wider selection of hot breakfast foods was really needed, Lenny's- the breakfast and lunch gold standard in Clearwater- was literally only a few steps away.
So in the end, our stay here was quite positive overall, and we would certainly be happy to return.

2 Thank rondelco
Kelowna BC Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The large clean heated pool and the good service are the two things that stand out about this typical looking travellodge. The price, the continental breakfast, and the barbeque at pool side are some others. The rooms are clean two star. Next door is one of those older mom and pop restuarants that you can get huge breakfasts and lunch for cheap. It is near a large mall with a Target superstore and many newer chain restaurants. Halfway between St petersburg and Tampa it has easy access to both. Surrounding area is freeway/ older buildings-- not much romance here unless you rent by the hour. All in all a good choice especially if you have kids as the pool is heated to 85 and most hotel pools are not heated in the tampa -clearwater area.

Room Tip: ask for pool side
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WillyDoug
plymouth england
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed last year and twice this year. Same friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms and good breakfast. Were on a two month trip and stayed at many places. This was one of the best. Would recommend to anyone . Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple