“Cheap Room”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #89 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I don't like walking into a lobby and being treated as if I'm interrupting the staff by just being there. I also don't like being handed a key as if I should know which building, where to park and where I can find the room. The room appeared clean, but had a musty smell. There was something on the ceiling that looked like mold. There was a hole in the bathroom door and another in one of the walls. Neither were repaired. The french doors to the parking lot were disabled so they would not unlock or open. The king sized bed was adequate, but only had 3 pillows. I could not find an ice machine (or map to one) in our building, but I did find an ice machine in another building after walking around for a while with my ice bucket. There were no directions or doors to the pool. The pool was found in a fenced area behind the building, which made it pretty inconvenient for anybody at the hotel. There was an area in the parking lot that was used for trash collection. That area was littered and sloppy with food items on the ground. Our time there was short, but I would not go back. Nothing they couldn't clean up if they wanted to. Not friendly. Not clean enough. Not going back!

Room Tip: It's a stop & flop. If you need a bed for a night it might work for you. Don't expect...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John F
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Start with the good as it's short...

Pretty much the cheapest major hotel/motel in the area. Room was spacious, plenty of parking, clean pool and pretty centrally located.

The bad...

Rooms have musty smell. As others have said... mattress and boxsprings are stained. Had a cockroach in the room, locking mechanism on door rarely worked without swiping the card no less than 10 times each time, carpets are dirty, and no sugar or cream packets with coffee.

In fact, there's no continental breakfast at all (not that I'd want one from here), and housekeeping doesn't refill shampoos and soaps. Also, hotel is located on busy US 19 (which normally is fine), but if you want to go north you have to try and cross four lanes of traffic to a u-turn spot or go down a mile or so and swing under the overpass and drive back up.

Finally, the internet is pretty bad. For such a small complex you'd think it would be pretty good being that there's two wi-fi routers. They are constantly going down, and have very slow speeds.

So... I realize people want to save money but spend the extra $5-$10 a night and you'll get more than double the extra money in cleanliness and amenities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CaliSoulSurfer
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Reserved it online, stopped there close to midnight. The receptionist announced a problem with hot water but advised to cancel reservation by calling to the agency provided my reservation. The agency responded "can not reach them by phone". I had to look around for another hotel and now disputing the reservation through a credit card.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Alex S
Reviewed July 18, 2012

There are 3 major problems with this hotel.
1. The front desk man, who looked like Lurch from the Adams Family, didn't have a name tag on when we checked in.
2. The locking mecanism to the room was broken, therefore we could not get into the room. When we walked back to the front desk, he said maintainence was on the way. They finally got the door open and then proceeded to take the locking mechanism off the door becaue it was broken. I was never offered another room. When I called to the desk I was informed that no other rooms were available at the price I booked, so I was offered a "Suite" but it would be more money. Upon taking 1 step into the suite the smell was so bad my children ran! The room was obviously old, with stained countertops and dirty looking, we walked out.
3. Upon entering the 1st room, I lifed the comforter and discovered a stain, when I lifted the sheets, I discovered the matress was littered with stains.

I have NEVER walked out of a hotel room before. But that afternoon, I demanded my refund and we left.

This Motel is OLD!!! The furniture is old and chipped and broken. The carpet is a dark color to hide stains.

Stay away!!!

We found another room at the Holiday Inn Express and it was so much better.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express, Dunedin, Florida, you'll like it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank scubagirl2000
Reviewed May 14, 2012

One a trip required because of a sudden and tragic death in our family, we stayed here for three Friday nights. The first two nights were just OK. We were exhausted from dealing with relatives, dealing with funeral homes and dealing with estate matters, and simply needed a shower and bed. However, the last Friday night, May 11, 2012, was awful. The room was supposed to be nonsmoking, but reeked of cigarette smoke. The price of the room had escalated over $16 in one week. And as I write this review, I am scratching all over from bedbug bites and have just finished fogging my home for any I may have brought home with me. How disgusting.

One doesn't feel the bites immediately. By the time I arrived home, approximately 2 hours drive away, I was scratching. When I called the hotel the next day to report the bugs, I was told it couldn't be from their hotel, since I would have felt the bites sooner. I was then put through to the manager's voicemail, because there wasn't a manager available on a Sunday evening. They did not call me back. I called them back the next day and spoke to the manager, only because he answered the phone. He did not offer a refund - I had to request it. Thus, my first bad review of a hotel property. If you are looking to stay in Clearwater or Palm Harbor, don't consider this property.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank summerleallc
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The room service is terrible when your room needs to be cleaned you have to keep asking a lot and then they act like they dont understand you, when you got kids you have to clean everyday and then they say you get free breakfast what breakfast only thing you get is juice and coffee and one little pecan swirl thats not a breakfast, you should at least get a waffle, every motel in clearwater fl and in pinellas park fl has been terrible!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mmmm1983
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night, well four hours to be precise. We were staying in Orlando and wanted to spend a night at Clearwater after a day at Busch Gardens. I thought the room was shabby but didnt want to make a fuss. However after two hours sleep I awoke and turned on the light only to find the bed was crawling with bugs. I squashed a couple and then realised they were bed bugs. We were dressed and out of the hotel by 2.50am. We got a refund and the desk clerk did not seem surprised. Our daughter also had a room and she also got a refund. This is the first bad review I have posted but I wanted people to be aware.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank rmc291
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwater
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Clearwater FL
#34 of 98 in Clearwater
Beyond the Wall
Beyond the Wall
#1 of 4 in Dunedin

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!