“Spent 4 nights, it was ok”

La Quinta Clearwater Central
Ranked #31 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Baltimore, Maryland
“Spent 4 nights, it was ok”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This place is middle of the road for quality and amenities. I will tell you the good, I will tell you the bad and then you can decide:

The Bad:

1st night we had a king bed, as requested, but the a/c did not work in that room. It must need freon because it was cooler outside. They moved us to a room with 2 full beds. That a/c worked great except there was never a time when it wasn't too hot or too cold. If you cooled the room down and went to bed, you were sweating hot by 3am. And the dang units are very loud, it was hard to sleep.

The full bed was so uncomfortable. The pillows are either lumpy and flat or hard. I got a great nights sleep in the king bed, the other 3 nights sleep were horrible. The bedding is not luxurious at all and I was cold most of the time bc the blankets were inadequate.

Toilets clog easily. And I scalded my husband when I flushed the toilet while he was in the shower. The water pressure was not so great either.

I give cleanliness 3 stars because they spray stuff in the rooms to make them smell ok when you open the door, but there was a faint weird foul body odor smell in some areas of our room, not sure what it was exactly or the source.

While you didn't hear your next door neighbor banging around or watching tv, you could easily hear the people upstairs walking back and forth or banging the headboard on the wall....

The Good:

Location was great. We were house hunting, it was perfect.

I felt safe there. Parking lot was well lit, all entrances required key card, no shady characters hanging around. And there were doggies around, which made me feel good because I was away from my dogs.

The breakfast offered a wide variety of stuff. I don't like breakfast food, but there was a ton of food and it tasted good too.

You get a complimentary micro and fridge.

The Indifferent:

The housekeeping staff don't have the same sections. The lady that cleans your room one day won't clean it the next. So if you get housekeeping, you should tip the day of. (I asked the housekeeper.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
MIami
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I loved the proximity of the different business establishments. A very big plus right off the bat is that there is an LA Fitness gym open to all guests of the hotel as well as 10% off at the Tilted Kilt by showing your key card. The front desk lady Alicia was marvelous in accommodating our group and the property looks clean and well kept. There was a beautiful pool with a patio as well as gazebo and hot tub area. So you can tan, kick back and smoke your cigar or spend some quality time in some water both hot or cold. There was an extensive plaza with everything you would need to make the night's stay worth it such as a best buy, a mexican restaurant, a liquor store within walking distance, and a small grocery stop. I really enjoyed the amount of space in our room with a little balcony to sit on as well. The management on the property "Sweet Alice" greeted our group with open arms and big smiles. The breakfast was plentiful and served in a very nice large room with enough space to spread out. I just hate those tiny little breakfast rooms in some of these hotels and this was not the case here. So take it from someone that sleeps in a different hotel every night throughout the states, if clearwater is your destination and you are looking for a relatively inexpensive stay strongly consider the possibility of staying with "Sweet Alice" and her crew.

Room Tip: Definately opt for any storied room, i.e. 2nd floor and up so you can take advantage of the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Mexico City
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We had a nice stay at this property this past December..the room was up to par for the price and the breakfast included is better than most other motels nearby. The staff with a smile always willing. Perhaps the only drawback was that being a pet=friendly motel there were many guests with dogs..however I feel rooms assigned to non-pet guests should be in another area ....mind you we love dogs...but barking and dog hair on carpets is another story .
Also the mattresses should be changed....

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We arrived in Clearwater on 12/30/2011 and I made reservations for two rooms (533 & 542) at La Quinta Inn Clearwater Central, located at 21338 US Hwy 19 North, Clearwater, FL 33765, despite my previous bad experiences with La Quinta in 2008. I am/was a La Quinta Rewards member and had a really bad customer service experiences at La Quinta in Orlando back in 2008. My wife talked me into staying at this location because it was going to be for just one night, so I decided to give them another try. Little we knew we were going to regret this for the rest of our lives.
The other part of our party had recently returned from a trip to Peru and had brought us a few gifts from that trip. Among those gifts, was a beautiful and elaborated painted picture of St Jude Thaddeus that they had it framed for us. I am a Christian and St. Jude Thaddeus is my favorite Saint. This was the St. Jude from Peru, so the image is very different from the one we know. We exchanged all these gifts that night in the room after we returned from dinner.
Next morning we got up a bit late, do to staying up late the night before, and literally rushed out of the rooms checking out after 11 am. We went to Tarpon Springs, met with more family members and drove that afternoon to Orlando, FL to our next Resort. As we got everything into our room, we realized the framed picture of St. Jude was missing. We turned the vehicles upside down and could not find it. We realized it was left behind at La Quinta in Clearwater. There was no other place. We left La Quinta, went to Tarpon Springs, had lunch, shop a little and drove to the next hotel in Orlando.
Immediately called La Quinta in Clearwater and the person at the front desk said he would call us back. He never did so we called again and he claims it was not in the room. That the item might be in the manager’s office and they did not have a key to that office. He advised we call the next morning and talk to the front desk so they could speak with the employee who cleaned the room. He also said that the manager would not be in until Monday 1/02/2012 because of New Years. Next morning we called again and the person at the front desk told us he would investigate and call us back in 2 hours. 4 hours passed and no call, so I called him back and he told us the same thing. The framed picture was nowhere to be found, he did not have access to the manager’s office and to call again next day, Monday 1/02/2012.
The next day, Monday, I called, explained the situation and asked for the manager. The person at the front desk told me the manager was around the property, but he/she would tell the manager to call me. I explained that I was told the same thing many times but I never received a return call. He/she said that she/he would make sure the manager will call me back within 2 hours. And so the manager did call me, but to my amazement, she did not know anything about this incident until now. There weren’t any notes in the system, a lost item report, a written message on paper, a note on the manager’s office or even a phone call to the manager the first night. She said she was sorry about the incident but the framed picture had not been found. She also stated that her employees have 4 years with the company and have never had an incident. She stated that if the item turns out, she would call me to get my address and mail it to me.
2+2=4, not 5. The last place the item was seen was in that room, so I know we left the item behind in that room. I understand it was our mistake, as we should be more careful with our belongings. I also understand the world we live in, is not a perfect world and we all get tempted at one point or another. However, that doesn’t mean customers cannot expect to have an item returned, if left behind at a well known hotel chain.
I am not looking for a letter of apology or a free night. The manager already said she is sorry and I will not step into another La Quinta Hotel. I just everyone who read this to know what kind of hotel you could be staying on. The item was taken by someone in that hotel and I may never get it back. The manager stated that, “this has never happened here before”. Well, that you know of. I called Saturday and Sunday, spoke with her employees, but no one completed a lost item report or even placed notes regarding this incident in the system. If I would have not insisted up on it and continue to call, the manager would not have even known about it. As a matter of fact, I was about to give up on Sunday but the fact of knowing that there is a dishonest person(s) among the employees at that hotel, was enough to motivate me to follow thru to today. So, just as I was about to give up, don’t be surprised if others have given up after the first call as well.
In this day and age customers have many options when it comes to lodging. We look for a clean place, which by the way both rooms we stayed had a very strong smell, and reasonable price, which should've been $35, not $67. But most of all we expect great customer service and peace of mind. We travel very often, especially with our grandchildren. Our grandchildren have left a few items behind at hotels, but they always show up. We even had a hotel ship it back to us, at no charge! Of course, Walt Disney World is a different story, but it shouldn’t be.
So, all you travelers out there beware of this hotel. If you loose something of value, do not expect to get it back!

3 Thank John R
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We stayed at the La Quinta for a few nights. Most of the reviews were correct, it's a dated hotel and could probably attract more business if they had a neon sign that said $35.00 / night, because that's what the room would be worth.

The only nice thing is they allow pets with no fee. That's a big issue as most chains now charge as much as $100 (Marriott) if you have a pet as a NON refundable fee.....so I give La Quinta props for that.

Our room smelled of mold so needless to say, we wrote it off for what it was, a place to crash for the night.

Is it a place I would stay if on vacation? NO.....it's off hwy 19 north next to a Hampton (which isn't any better).

I would suggest the Residence Inn closer to the beach on Gulf to Bay Blvd. It's nice and newer hotel with more amenities.

Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I was apprehensive about staying here but my fears are gone. Clean comfortable room with all the amenities we need. It's dated for sure but for us comfort and cleanliness that matters. Don't compare it to the Hilton, because it's not trying to be the Hilton and the price reflects that. We would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011
Jacksonville,FL
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The hotel is a out dated. They dont have an elevator only steps. The rooms are overpriced for what you get. The A/C unit either is on all the time or doesnt come on at all. They do have flat screen TV's with HD channels the one good thing. I have stayed in quite a few LQ's and this one does not live up to the other I have been to. The hotel is supposed to be 100% smoke free but the hallways smelled like smoke.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business