“Nice getaway for Mom”

Sheraton Sand Key Resort
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I spent 5 days here and it was wonderful. The pool was wonderful. temperature was perfect. Not too busy so not a lot of people in pool which was great. The beach is OK. I have to admit it is quite a walk especially for the elderly. I will be honest..the sand at Clearwater beach is much better then Sand Key. Too many little sharp shells for feet to walk on -wear sandals or water shoes. Suggestion would be a boardwalk even halfway would be nice.
The staff were very friendly especially in the lounge on 9 flr. The rooms are a good size and kept VERY clean. Hats off to the cleaning staff. The restaurants in the hotel are good. The shops have everything you would need and want, including snacks and made up sandwiches..etc..
Florida weather was FANTASTIC. I was there in May and left just before the USA holiday.
The trolley is a neat way to see Clearwater. Check with Bellman for times. Awesome sunsets.

Room Tip: I had a room on 7th floor over looking pool and beach. Awesome sunsets. ice machine is noisy. try to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank sterlingzinc
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

I am pleased you enjoyed time spent at the Sheraton Sand Key and that your encounters with our associates were positive. Thank you for recognizing our Housekeeping staff; they are efficient. I have shared your comment with the Director of Housekeeping. The beach is such a relaxing place to be; a place to enjoy your own thoughts undisrupted by the outside world or to just enjoy the people you are with. The smell of salt water, the gentle roar of the waves all combine to create a sense of peace and calm here on the beaches of Sand Key. Beautiful sunsets and awesome views in every direction. You can make arrangements to be taken out to the shore - just speak to the concierge. We have two trolley systems; The Jolly Trolley goes into Clearwater. The Suncoast Trolley goes from Tarpon Springs to St Pete Beach which is 30 miles-48 Km. They have all day passes for $4.50 you can get on and off as many times you care to. The Suncoast Beach Trolley runs every 20 - 30 minutes from 5:05 a.m. to 10:10 p.m., Monday through Thursday and Sunday, including holidays, with service until midnight on Friday and Saturday. Look for special trolley bus stop signs located frequently along the route. In addition to the services along Gulf Boulevard, connector routes run between the coast and downtown St. Petersburg.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for a conference for the past 3 years. I would stay here even it it were not for the conference. I love the friendly and accommodating nature of every employee; from the desk employees to the housekeeper. The pool area is relaxing and the beach access is huge. There is quite a long walk to get to the beach, but there is a large sand area between the back deck and the beach near the water. The food and drinks at their restaurant and bar are on the expensive side, but it is normal for this type of hotel/resort. I paid almost $10 for a frozen strawberry daiquiri, which I though was ridiculous and really nothing special. Either way, if you want it cheaper, then go to an area restaurant or bar as there are hundreds close by. The seafood in the area is beyond exceptional. I live on the east coast of Florida and my area can not hold a candle to the seafood on the west coast.

Room Tip: The beach view can be either a side view with mostly tennis courts, so if you want a full beach vie...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Florida-girl-7

The Sheraton Sand Key resort is the perfect base for many attractions! The surrounding area offers plenty of activities to fill your vacation or free time after the conference. Our associates truly enjoy being part of your vacation by being friendly, efficient and informative. Yes! I must agree there are many great restaurants in the Clearwater area. Our signature restaurant, Rusty’s Bistro, has an award winning culinary staff. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. The cost of our cocktails are consistent with the other area hotel bars on the beach. I do apologize that your strawberry daiquiri was not special. The fresh seafood that comes from the Gulf of Mexico is excellent. Gulf fisheries are some of the most productive in the world. We do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We spent 4 days at this hotel at the end of April/start of May for our daughters beach wedding. Ok the accommodation and public areas are a little dated but this was more than compensated for by the consistently pleasant and courteous service we experienced from all the staff. It rained all day right up to 15 minutes before the wedding when the skies miraculously cleared and at the last minute all the wedding paraphernalia was shifted from a conference room to the beach - no problem at all for the staff who showed remarkable flexibility! We were also given various money- off vouchers for local attractions, beach cabanas etc when we asked for directions or information. When I was looking for a cup of coffee in the bar before it officially opened, a waiter was happy to oblige. A little in-house shop has absolutely everything you might need on your holiday. Our room was a good size and kept very clean. There is plenty of free parking. We have happy memories of this hotel.

Room Tip: HIgher floors have better views, but may be more expensive.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BelfastBeachlover

We are delighted to hear that all your dreaming and planning for your daughter’s very special day became a reality here at the Sheraton Sand Key with Amanda’s and the weathers help. She is very efficient and really loves doing what she does. All our associates genuinely care and realize that it is the smallest details that sometimes are the most memorable. They take pride in ensuring your event is exactly what you anticipated it would be. Our standard is to effectively meet the expectations of our guests and provide excellent customer service. I am pleased you and your guests had such a wonderful time. It is a great area with much to do… we will look forward to your return. The lobby was completely refurbished in 2013. We are constantly renovating on a regular basis to keep the hotel updated and will continue to do so to fix those worn out areas.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The location is stunning, and the beach area is clean and inviting. There is a refreshment cart that drives around serving food and drinks. If we had been there longer, we would have enjoyed this. The pool also looked wonderful too. Unfortunately we were there such a short time, less than 18 hours, so we did not get to enjoy any of the amenities. We stayed here during a peak time, so there was no option to upgrade. I was willing to pay for an upgrade and it just simply was not available. It was a Friday night and there were weddings and conferences happening that weekend, as I am sure they are every weekend. As a long time SPG member, I was a little disappointed. But as I said, we were there less than 18 hours, so its not a big deal. We were on the 8th floor, and we faced the tennis courts. The walls need re-papering or painting, and the carpet needs replacing, as it was shredding. I couldn't believe how small the bathroom was. The showers and toilet were practically on top of each other. Nice to have cup of Starbucks and free water bottles in the room. We may come back, if we have the option to upgrade.

Room Tip: Stay long enough to enjoy the pool and the beach!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention. We are constantly renovating on a regular basis to keep the hotel updated and will continue to do so to fix those worn out areas. We are in the first phase of putting new furniture in the rooms at this time and will finish when occupancy allows. I agree that the design of the bathroom needs to be addressed. We are unable to change the size and lay out of the bathrooms due to losing space in the sleeping area. We are always looking into workable solutions. Hopefully you can return as we do have some very tranquil months when it is not as busy with weddings and conferences.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Sheraton Sand Key Resort was a wonderful place to spend part of a long Memorial Day weekend getaway. The rooms and facilities were excellent and the staff was helpful and curtious. Great access to a beautiful stretch of beach. The walk from the hotel/pool to the beach is a little farther than anticipated, but still beachfront. My only suggestion would be that it would be nice to have options for beach rentals (umbrellas/chairs) that were not limited to full day rentals. I would have loved to have rented a chair and umbrella for a few hours the morning I was checking out, but this was not an option even though practically all the chairs were open at the time. Other than that, it was a great stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Through each comment we receive, both positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is truly appreciated and I will be sure to share. I am terribly sorry we were not able to accommodate your cabana request. Being on the Island of Sand Key our beach is large and a walk to the water’s edge. It is away from the Hotel and the outside world and definitely gives space to relax and leave the outside world behind. We look forward to your next stay and may it be longer so you are able to enjoy all we have to offer.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

This place is amazing. We stayed in the 7th floor overlooking the pool and the beach. Beautiful view. Paying extra is worth it. Everything here was great. The staff was extremely polite. The food was delicious. The rooms were big and clean. The only thing that kept this from being 5 star was the in room movie service is absolutely horrible. It cuts off off and on.

Room Tip: Room 726 is an excellent room to stay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

It is our goal to effectively meet the expectations of our guests and provide excellent customer service. It is gratifying to read that your experience here with us was very positive. The view is beautiful and hopefully you were able to see one of our breathtaking sunsets. I apologize for the movie service. I looked into that issue and it was a Net Work problem not the hotel, it took a few days for them to resolve. We will do our utmost to better meet your expectations next time given a chance.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed here for a conference in November 2013. Hotel was great, rooms were comfortable and clean! Service was great! Enjoyed the great location on the beach! The location was close to shopping and great restaurants! Really enjoyed my stay and I will be bringing my wife back for a relaxing stay!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KingSteve
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

I am delighted that your experience was as anticipated. We are pleased to be able to share “Our Island” with you; beautiful beaches, awesome sunsets and breathtaking views. We will look forward to your next trip to paradise