“Ok”

Sheraton Sand Key Resort
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Too pricey at 289 per night. But a very clean hotel and very accommodating . Would stay here again... Little far from areas with restaurants and bars, etc., but very nice hotel. Nice beach, bathroom small.... No wifi unless you pay:( that's a rip off.... But overall, good place.

• Stayed: March 2013
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

We truly want you to enjoy your experience when staying at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort. We are pleased you enjoyed the beach; it is a great place to relax, reflect and recharge. That is part of the charm of being on Sand Key, you are away from the noise and traffic, close enough to Florida’s recently voted # one beach town Clearwater Beach and all of the amenities.. We do have The Link powered by Microsoft which is free internet and it is located in our Mainstay Tavern. We do not charge a resort fee which most hotels do, we only charge for amenities used such as the internet in your room. We do hope you will return.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Sand Key Resort

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel staff seemed a little better than last visit. I did not have any issue with bar staff - they actually stayed a little late to let us finish watching the game - so that was great service. The hotel continues to be an average facility. There is just nothing that makes it a special hotel. The gym was very nice with great views of the ocean and bay. The internet speed was good- almost fast enough for streaming video - but not quite. The facility was sold out - but never seemed crowded. I like the hotel - but could not find a feature that made the facility special.
The price was very high due to high demand time of year.
We encountered ESPN outage in the rooms as well as a false fire alarm during the stay.
The bathrooms do need a renovation- shower heads are really low.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank engineer64

I am genuinely pleased to hear that the associates gave you the warm, efficient service that you deserve when staying here at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort. We are in the process of renovating the hotel. We greatly appreciate your comments and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for our honeymoon. I can not speak highly enough of this hotel and service we received. Everybody was so nice and helpful. We will never forget that Janet (lady from reception) sent us a card, chocolate strawberries and a bottle of champagne to celebrate our honeymoon. It was an amazing suprise which we will cherish all of our lifes. We went to the hot tub in the evening met lovely people there. It was a relaxed and very friendly atmosphere. Hotel has great access to the beach. It's so beautiful. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone. Our room was overlooking the sea. We were lucky to see a sunset. It was a truly unforgettable experience! Absolutely loved it!

• Stayed: March 2013
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Congratulations! May you experience many beautiful sunsets in life together. It is a pleasure to know that we reached our goal which is to make your stay a memorable one. I will pass on your comment to Janet; all our associates enjoy making guests feel as special as they are. I am glad Janet helped make your evening extra special. The view of the beach from the hot tub is awesome. We are pleased you had a perfect night to start your new life. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights with our 2 kids using our SPG points. The rooms are a little outdated, mainly the bathrooms but it's clean and functional. I like that the hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of the main beach area and there's a great breakfast restaurant down the steet. The pool area is great, especially for the kids, but the beach was the best. Soft sand and away from the noise of the hotel. We had street view room but was high enough to see the bay across the street. The hotel was sold out for most of the time we were there as we tried a couple times on to upgrade our room to either an SPG club room or even an ocean view to no avail. We will be back another time.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dots98

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. The hotel is older, but we keep renovating to make it comfortable for our guest. We are pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay. This is a great area; so relaxing with beautiful views and a lovely beach. I do apologize for you not being able to get an upgrade but thank you for understanding. We will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My Husband and I came down to Clearwater with my parents for Philllies Spring Training and we decided to stay at the Sheraton Sand Key because it was on the beach. We stayed here from 3/13-3/18. What a mistake. We will never stay here again. The service from beginning to end was a disgrace. In all my years of traveling I have never been treated so poorly at a hotel before. I really do not like writing negative reviews but I felt that people should know about our experience.

Upon check in our room was not ready so we opted for the front desk to call our cell phone when it was ready. After a couple of hours and no phone call we went back to the front desk to check on the status of our room which we found out had been ready for awhile. I politely mentioned to the guy that we did not receive a phone call and with that he got all huffy with us in which he insisted that he left me a voicemail. I told him it was not a big deal yet he would not stop getting all worked up and insisting that a voicemail was left. I really think that he thought we were lying to him. Way to start off a vacation.

The hotel bar service was an absolute disgrace. The four of us came down here to have a drink before our dinner reservations one night and we left within 10 minutes. I think it was actually painful for the woman bartender to wait on us. She was absolutely miserable and we were the only people in the bar at that time so it wasn't like she was busy. She actually rolled her eyes at me when I asked for a glass of water.

The Main reason I am writing this review though is because of the pool service. There are actually about four to five guys that police the pool all day long. I mean they actually act like pool police. I am warning you all right now, don't even think about moving your pool chair out of its spot or you will be immediately scolded. It was actually a joke among a bunch of us one day at the pool. They actually set up blue cones all around the pool to make sure your chairs stay within them. If you move them you will be busted from all angles. Two of the pool guys literally walk around looking for guests to reprimand. It was such a joke. Talk about walking on eggshells the whole time when all you're trying to do is catch some rays. The one guy also acts as the towel police. I went up to retrieve two additional towels for my mom and me the one day and he actually questioned me before giving me my towels because he saw that I already had a towel on my chair. Really, I have to justify why I would like a couple extra towels? This has never ever happened to me before at any resort.

We had friends that stayed across the street at the Marriott and had nothing but wonderful things to say about their stay. We visited their pool bar a couple nights at the Marriott and had such a wonderful experience. The service was great and everybody was so friendly!! Also, they don't have blue cones surrounding their pool. You are actually allowed to move your chair. Needless to say, we will never return to the Sheraton Sand Key. We will stay at the Marriott from now on.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank beth p
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

It is our goal to ensure the comfort of our guest and we genuinely apologize that your experience did not reflect our usual Sheraton standards. We have addressed all of the issues you mentioned with the appropriate managers and associates and have found that many of your issues have already been rectified. I apologize that our staff came across abruptly. The goal of the pools staff is to ensure the safety and mobility of all of our guests. The blue cones were intended to keep walkways open for the safety of the guests, as well as to ensure ADA standards were being adhered to. We agree that the cones do send a harsh message and we are looking into other options to ensure the walkways stay open. We are sorry you will not be returning and do thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Location: The hotel is right on the beach but there is a LOT of sand between the hotel and the water. Not sure how it happened but it's like they cut down the dunes and just made a really really large sand area. The other condos in the area are closer to the water. The Marriott is across the street on the bayside. A few restaurants and shops a block or two away. You are a drive (over a bridge) from the Clearwater Beach action.

Check In: It was okay. A little bit of attitude.

Room: Well it was also just okay. Not really impressed and the bathroom was really small. I had a balcony but the way the hotel was designed there was a large dark wall outside the sliding door. The room was very dark and the semi-ocean view was really semi.

The lobby is sterile and looks like it was designed for the business traveler not the tourist.

Overall very average.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor. The 2nd floor provided no decent view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank RussellKP
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

I sincerely apologize for the off brand attitude at check in; that certainly is not what we expect from or associates. I can assure you this will be addressed. The beach was all nature’s doing. Our beach is so large due to the inlet and the jetty of rocks over at Sand Key Park. The State put in the jetty to protect the pass from filling from erosion. The result is that the sand builds up on our beach and the park’s beach instead of washing out into the Clearwater Pass. Our lobby was just renovated; it might seem a little sterile as it was designed to look clean and sleek to make the tourist and business traveler both comfortable. One of the reasons it was designed that way was for our guests comfort. Being on the beach guest bring in with them water & sand and carpets can intimidate them. We do hope you enjoyed some of the amenities the Sheraton Sand Key and our area have to offer.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I along with our two year old stayed at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort for four nights starting March 12th.

The desk staff was very welcoming and pleasant throughout our stay. One gentleman even offered an ice cream voucher for our daughter a little after our arrival.

The room was very clean and although not filled with modern gadgetries, I didn't find it terribly outdated. The room was not large but I wasn't looking for a suite since I was not planning on spending much time in the room except for sleeping, showering and getting dressed. The bedding and towels were clean and in good condition. It was easy to hear sounds from the hallway and guests in their bathrooms and see the light from the gap under the door, but it didn't bother me enough to complain or disturb my sleep any worse than when I'm at home. These things did remind me of older hotels and would prevent it from being a luxurious hotel in today's standards.

The Sheraton is not on Clearwater Beach but I enjoyed being off the main beach because I did not have to worry about the traffic or the noise of the crowds. The beach is very nice and I like they gave a guide to walking their shoreline as well as the nearby state park. My daughter and I enjoyed picking up seashells and walking the beach at sunset.

The hotel is close enough to be at Pier 60 and Clearwater beach in minutes by car and 15 - 20 minutes by walking. I walked every morning to Clearwater Beach and spent some time on the beach before getting breakfast. I also was able to experience St. Pete's Beach and the Dali Museum without feeling I spent most of my time in the car.

We ate breakfast at Rusty's every morning. The fare was average buffet food but the staff especially Victor kept us returning. I can't recall the full name of the Tavern. The food was mediocre but the staff was wonderful.

The fitness center was very nice. I did not use it because I enjoyed walking outside so much. I was able to get in more exercising in without realizing it.

I also did not utilize the pool area. I wanted beach time for my short vacation and it was a bit chilly for the pool for my taste.

Overall, the Sheraton Sands Key have me a relaxing time so I can recharge after winter and look forward to Spring at home.

• Stayed: March 2013

I genuinely enjoyed your review; we are pleased you enjoyed our associates. They do sincerely care. I am pleased you were relaxed; I feel this is definitely the area to do that. It is unfortunate that the weather did not cooperate for a dip in the pool. The area does have so much to offer in arts, entertainment and sports. Maybe next year when it is time to recharge you and your family will visit us again.