“Absolutely the best place to stay in Clearwater Beach”
Review of Royal North Beach

and 1 more site!
Royal North Beach
Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Michigan
“Absolutely the best place to stay in Clearwater Beach”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

When we first pulled up to the Royal North, I'll admit I was skeptical...the exterior is very Art Deco, which is not my first choice in decorating. However, Royal North turned out to be AWESOME. The rooms are very nicely updated. The owner and the front desk staff person were incredibly friendly and accomodating. The hotel is located across the street from a small side street that dead ends at the beach...you can see the water from the front of the hotel! The hotel also provides sand toys, boogie boards, and beach towels, which was perfect for our family. The Royal North is also perfectly situated just north of the craziness of the "main drag" in town. If you stay any further south, the road is extremely busy & loud. The walk from the Royal North to anything you would want to see if very manageable...my 2 kids (ages 6 & 7) walked to Pier 60 and back 3 times in 2 day without any complaints.

I highly recommend this property!!

1 Thank GreaterDetroitMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We made reservations for my grandson's spring break and requested a 2nd floor room to be out of the way of traffic, etc. When we arrived we were told that we had a 1st floor room because they had to move people around and there was nothing available. This did not make me very happy as you shouldn't say one thing and do another.

The next day we were told that we could move to a second floor unit if we wanted because they had one available. We had already unpacked all our suitcases which we would not have done if we had been informed that one would be available the next day.

Liked:
The unit was very clean and nicely decorated. Adquate supplies in the kitchen and bathrooms and if you needed something all you had to do was ask. The staff was very personable and helpful.

Pool was also very clean.

Short walk to the very nice beach .

Disliked:
You could not change the settings on the AC in the bedroom and it blew directly on the bed which made it uncomfortable so we shut it off at night. The AC in the kitchen was half hidden by a cabinet which made it difficult to set.

The sofa bed was very uncomfortable (mattress should be replaced).

Sufficient hot water was somewhat a problem but we worked around it.

General Comments: As mentioned in one of the other reviews, the Pier is a long walk and I would not recommend it unless you are younger or in very good shape.

Parking can be a problem on the weekends as it is very limited. We didn't have much trouble.

Grouper sandwich at Frenchy's was very good. She crab soup at the restaurant at the other end of the parking lot (can't remember the name right now) was great. Both these restaurants are on the beach and fun.

Verona, Italy
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We were there in November 2008, and I am a bit late on writing this review.
The place is nice the apartment is very big and very clean , light and fresh. Angelica, makes sure the apartment is very clean and if you need something.
The girls how work there are all very friendly and helpful .
Diana helped me get back a very important bag I forgot on the “super shuttle” and she made almost 10 phone calls to make sure they would bring it back that exact evening (by the way on the way back to the airport they arranged for us a taxi cheaper and friendly).

The location is good, just a bit outs side the very centre, but much quieter and a nice. The beach is just on the other side of the street and it just fabulous.
There is all you can need and they help you as much as they can, so I would recommend it for sure!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
erie
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We arrived early and they let us check in at 9:30 (we though we'd have to wait till 2 or 3 like most hotels. We were shocked how large and beautifully decorated the rooms were. In some respects, nicer than my own home. The kids wanted to go to the beach immidiately and they had boards, chairs, towels, sunscreen available, which was nice till I could go get my own. That night we wanted to grill, the propane ran out but they gave us charcoal till they could replace it the next day. Very cozy and relaxing here, we were in the middle of the locals spring break but the north part of the beach here isn't as busy on the beach, so I felt comfortable with my kids going back and forth to the room. The pool was heated which helped the one day it was cold. We talked with Kathy at the desk when we were leaving and she gave us a large discount coupon if we come back in the summer. I hope to.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I consider myself the average traveler and try to go someplace at least once a year. I'm a single mom with a "tween"age son so there are a lot of factors that go into the decision about where we travel and where we stay. We like going places that are kid-friendly, clean, economical and close to the main attractions. Let me start by saying that I initially made a reservation for us at a newly renovated upscale hotel in Tampa that quoted me a price of $90 (grand opening special) per night. We were traveling to Florida for my son's spring break week and wanted to be close to where the Phillies were having their spring training. I'm not familiar with this part of Florida but a co-worker suggested that we'd probably be happier staying on Clearwater Beach. I looked at the properties available and they were in the price range of about $399 per night (way out of my budget). Luckily for me, I looked at other tripadvisor reviews for Clearwater Beach and saw that this property was rated #1 among other specialty lodging. I looked at the photos which were very appealing to me. I called to see if they had any vacancies and was presently surprised to find that they did. I made the reservation and hoped for the best (especially since the price was far below what other properties were charging). When we arrived, I have to honestly say I didn't know what to expect. This property is at the far end of Mandalay Avenue just steps from the beach. As I pulled up, I could see the heated pool and the well-manicured landscaping from the sidewalk but wondered if the rooms were more than what appeared from the outside to be motel quality. I couldn't have been more surprised by the tasteful decor in the rooms. Each room at this property is decorated differently with an eye towards providing a warm, tropical, caribbean flavor. Trust me, I'm a neat freak and a bit of a "hotel snob" and this place was well-suited to my tastes. What I also liked about this place was that the owner came by and introduced herself. She let me know that I would receive an additional discount on a return visit and wanted to make sure that I knew about the area attractions that might be appealing to me and my son. I met other families who had returned to this property after staying at other places on Clearwater Beach and they agreed that it's a hidden gem.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
ottawa Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2009

we checked into our room after a long drive with the kids. We were very unsatisfied with the room as the walls under every window were literally crumbling, chemicals were left in the corner of the kitchen for the dampness. We went to the beachto give the kids a break and decided to check out the next day. Management was very difficult and would not let us cancel the remaining 3 nights, forcing us to pay a two day minimum after trying to bill us the full four nights. It seemed more often than not management was "in a meeting" when we wanted to discuss things. We felt we were baited and switched and would never recommend or stay at the Royal North Beach again. This is certainly NOT luxury.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank blondie3355
Missouri
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We took our daughter to Clearwater Beach after her graduation for a week. We had a late arrival via plane. Royal staff were great at making sure we had everything we needed. We never had to ask for anything. The place was clean and well decorated. We had access to the beach outside the gates. The beach was fairly quiet due to it being down from the peir and more in a residential area. They even had beach toys, chairs and towels for your use. The staff gave us information for places to eat, sights to see and transportation if we chose not to use our rental car. The walk down Mandalay was filled with shopping and bars. I woiuld suggest the tram bus if going to the pier. It is a long walk for those not prepared. We would definitely stay again.

• Liked — Easy access to beach at an affordable price without scarificing quality
  • Disliked — parking can be hard during peak hours
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MOBeachPeople