“Interesting Place”
Review of Beachview Hotel

Beachview Hotel
Ranked #48 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Beachview Inn is your typical mom/pop beach motel. We had read reviews on here before going, so we knew what to expect!

Parking was $5 for our stay, but across the street, they were charging $15 for the day for beach-goers. The place was dated, furniture was old and worn, and the kitchenette was something I would NEVER use! We were on the second floor, right next to the pool, although there was no pool noise. We could see the beach and ocean, but if we were up another level or two, the view would have been much better. It was nice to have easy access to the beach. Since we were right over the lobby, we were able to get wifi from there, but if we were farther away, they would have charged us.

At check-in, the attendant tried to charge us an extra $10 for our son, who is 12 years old. CRAZY! It's not like he has a credit card/id and could check into his own room! The manager yelled from the back room that we wouldn't be charged. Based on reviews, we didn't even go to the breakfast in the morning, I don't think we were even up in time- it was 7-9am only. We did have dinner at Crabby's next door, it was very good.

Bring your own soap and shower items, the soap they gave us was horrible, and the tissues were like sandpaper!

We would stay here again, but only for one night at a time- can't imagine staying a week or so. The place was fine for one night!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, 3rd or higher. Bring your own soap!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank amoretravel

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We didn't plan on spending much time in our room, but the weather took a turn for the worst and we found ourselves in our room watching TV a lot more than we planned, just like (Amy R) The mattress was wrapped in an uncomfortable plastic cover and the linens had a bad smell. The room is out dated. There was only one chair to sit in, one pkg of reg coffee and one pkg decaf coffee. So I guess my husband could sit on the floor and drink his decaf and i could stand and drink my reg coffee. I mean really how ridiculous to know you have two people staying in one room and not have it ready for two people is stupid. It's obvious they knew there was going to be two in the room when I went to have breakfast and was checked by 3 staff members to see if I was on the "you can have breakfast here" list. Oh and while we are talking about breakfast be aware of the sign that tells you if you leave with any food or drink it will be charged to your room. Breakfast consisted of cereal bagged in clear sandwich size baggies, breads, muffins and instant oats. There was a refrigarator with milk juice butter and jelly oh and a camera guarding it all.
Oh and be quick about it there's a two hour window to enjoy such "delicacies". Save your self the BS and just go to Mc Donalds it a few steps aways. Wifi and the safe in your room is not free, there's a fee for both. The air conditioner unit is very loud. Whatever you do, don't get a room without BEACH view, it's the only thing worth it here.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't get a room without BEACH view, it's the only thing worth it here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rosie A
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

To say they do things different here is an understatement. We decided to stay here because of the location and being it was Spring break other places were booked with the exception that this places had available rooms... When we checked in we paid extra to use the wifi, safe in our room and $5 per day to park our car. The wifi doesn't work well most the time and they tell you that you can only put the password in using Safari, but you can actually use other browsers. The continental breakfast is on lockdown like I have never seen before when you go in you have to give them your room number and they mark you off. You are not allowed to take any food back to your room, I wasn't allowed to take my sick daughter back a muffin to the room. They told us the pool was heated to 85 degrees but it was cold in March I could understand it being cold in December, but not March and is heated... The bathrooms don't have exhaust fans and its a steamy mess when you are finished. The towels are also old and rough. Would I stay here again? No.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank lcthompson
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We didn't plan on spending much time in our room, but the weather took a turn for the worst and we found ourselves in our room watching TV a lot more than we planned. The beds and floors were very clean but the room itself was very old and outdated. There was a bit of night time noise but not too bad at all, mostly just people heading back to their rooms. The location was fantastic. It's right next door to two great restaurants and a McDs. Can't beat that.

Room Tip: The ocean view is an upgrade and while it's beautiful, it's windy and darker in the mornings...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed one night in early February. Our flight got in late so we arrived much later than we planned. We didn't pay extra for a room with a view which was okay since we weren't there long. They did allow us late checkout though so that was nice. The room was clean but needs updated. I don't understand why a beachside hotel has carpet in the rooms. Sand, pool and salt water get tracked in so it doesn't make sense. In addition, the older carpet gets pretty dirty/musty smelling. The location is awesome if you want to spend time on the beach which is right across the road. Unless they have larger rooms, I wouldn't want to spend a week's vacation in the room we had. It was too small even for two people. There isn't anywhere except the bed to hang out when you are in the room. I know you're not in there much, but it's nice to have a little room to spread out when your spouse is showering, relaxing before bed, etc. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast because it was only available a very short time…like 6-8 am or so. We are not morning people and after arriving late we missed it, but from other reviews it doesn't sound like we missed much. For the price, there are other hotels that offer such a nice breakfast that it is puzzling to me. I would stay here again for a short stay, but not a long one. I will say the sand at Clearwater Beach is some of the nicest sand in Florida (Other amazing sand was at Siesta Key and Daytona Beach) You can't beat the location!

Room Tip: Book a higher floor and a room with a view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I arrived to check in at the lobby and the folks at the desk were having a funny conversation with each other (there was no one else in the lobby), so I joined in, saying something like "this seems like a fun place". They were SUPER friendly, and we got to joking with each other about something which was misunderstood to begin with, so we all got nicknames for the weekend. I actually had only planned to spend one night, but ended up booking two because of a last-minute change, so we had to switch rooms for the second night, but I totally understand (our last-minute change, not the hotel's).

The first room we stayed in was small, but clean. Not super-updated, but clean (most important). If you are used to staying in the fancier hotels like the Omni, or the Marriott, or the Westin, you're not going to be used to this beach hotel feel, but really, you're on the BEACH. Hotels on the beach are to sleep and shower. Anyhow, I would recommend wearing flip flops indoors because the rooms open to the outside (not like fancy hotels where there are carpeted hallways leading to the rooms) so your feet WILL get a little dirty. It is nearly impossible to keep hotel carpets clean when the rooms open to the outside unless you demand your guests to remove their shoes when going into the room. It's just how it is. Deal with it. We did :)

I ran into one of the cleaning people in the elevator, and she was darling. She asked what floor we were on, and I told her. I got off before her, and she was nice to say enjoy your stay, etc.. small talk, but she TALKED to me rather than just staring at nothing.

We had a good time, and a clean room, and expected the same for the next night. Since we had to change rooms (once again, OUR last-minute thing, not the hotel's) we had to check out and then go check back in later because we had to wait for our next room to be ready, so we grabbed lunch. We had leftovers, and didn't want to leave them in the car, so we asked the lovely friendly nice people (who now felt like friends) at the desk if we could leave our leftovers in their refrigerator. They didn't hesitate, and put them away for us.

One of the guys said "I have a surprise for you, and I hope you will like it" so I told him as long as it was a good surprise and didn't cost me anything, I'm sure I would love it. Anyhow, it turns out that our room for the second night was WAY better than the room we had originally booked (which, once again was not bad by any means). We'd booked a single, and I guess it was not available, so they gave us a suite. It was a NICE suite with a balcony, a living room area, a kitchenette stocked with flatware and bowls and plates, etc..., a really nice upgraded washroom, and a great view of the gulf and beach. We walked in and were like OMG Wow this is cool as he**!! We'd almost wished we had more people with us to show off it was so nice.

In both of our rooms, the air worked well, the water pressure in the showers was good, the water was hot enough, and all of the linens were clean. If I had to choose one thing to complain about, it would be a recommendation of better soaps because the ones they use have pumice grains which is a bit weird for hotel soaps. So, if you're thinking about staying, bring your own soap or body wash if you're weirded out by pumice, but really - that is sooo minor.

I was really impressed with this hotel, the staff, and the cleaning service, and unless someone insisted on paying for me to stay in a 'fancy' hotel, I would definitely stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Choose a view of the gulf, it only costs a little more, and it's well worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed for three nights with kids in February. You absolutely cannot beat the location. I think every room is ocean view, you can walk barefoot to the beach, with restaurants and shops everywhere. The rooms are dated but clean, the pool was fine, and somewhat heated. Continental breakfast was highly guarded wrapped doughnuts, and if you were the first person there, an orange. I would say this is a step up from most the motels on the island mostly due to location, and a big step down from the resort hotels. We would stay again, but mostly because we couldn't afford the Hyatt next door.

Room Tip: Try to get on the third floor or higher for a view, and close to the stairs, the lone elevator is ve...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family