“Great vacation stay!”

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Great hotel, very friendly staff. They have units with a washer and dryer! We were in a 2 bedroom suite and was a great room and only about 90 min to Orlando !

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Dear Aly1972,
I am so glad you were able to experience staying in one of our beautiful suites, with a full kitchen they allow you opportunity to cook your own meals or have them made for you by one of our Chefs. Our spacious dining room and living room gives you the extra space to lounge and provides privacy from the bedroom. We hope you are able to visit with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Sandpearl Resort

Reviewed January 22, 2011

I actually live in st. petersburg florida and decided on a weekend getaway at the sand pearl. I know a lot about this hotel but had never stayed there before. They are extremely professional and it was such a great stay in every way. They treat everyone like VIP. The restaurants on site are great. We don't have any kids but if we did it looks like a great place to bring kids, they have so many activities for them. We checked out the spa which was also great, the best massage I've had in a while. I would definitely recommend this hotel since I live here and know all the hotels in the area. You will not be disappointed. I promise!

Dear Newt26,
Thank you for your positive comments. We are glad you had the opportunity to come visit for a weekend getaway. Our spa is also open to the public, if you are able to stop by for a day trip. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

Put simply this is the nicest resort my wife & I have ever stayed at. This includes resorts that cost quite a bit more. The entrance & lobby were beautiful. The staff extremely courteous & the valet service was great. (I personally would like to park my own car & I wish self parking were an option ...that may be my only beef, but we are probably the exception in that we are from middle class Midwestern families & not used to being spoiled by valet.)

The pool was huge & right next to a boardwalk (made of treks) on the beach. A great touch was the fire pit right on the sand with seating & food service available. In the evening it gave the grounds a great atmosphere especially considering there is also a lit up waterfall.

The building is a unique blend that is modern & open yet sprinkled with vestiges that are full of history from the old landmark hotel (?"Clearwater Hotel") that occupied the land for decades before Sandpearl was built. We thought that was a great touch & my wife even got teary eyed reading some of the stories in frames from the old hotel.

I would especially recommend one of the suites on the top two floors especially one facing west to the ocean. The day view is spectacular, & surprisingly the night view with the pool lit up & the sound of the waterfall & the ocean was great. They had full kitchens & laundry actually in the room. From our suite we counted 35 steps to the elevator to be on the ground floor walking first under a beautiful waterfall leading right to the beach.

Someone earlier said soundproofing was not good (they stayed on New Year’s Eve maybe that is why) I could not disagree more. This was the quietest room I have ever stayed in once you closed the balcony doors.

Another comment earlier was about lounge chairs & sunshine, I am not sure those travelers knew that all of the chairs lined up on the deck outside of the fence around the pool & on the adjacent beach are owned by the resort ... literally hundreds of empty ones & these are in the sun almost all day.

On an earlier trip we stayed at the huge pink building on the other end of the Island known as "Aqualea" or " the Hyatt resort". We were in a unit right over the beach but the best path to the beach was basically a maze to the back of the building changing elevators, off on the second floor back to the opposite corner in the front of the building to another elevator then crossing the street to the beach in about one thousand steps. God forbid you forget your sunglasses or lotion.

Basically our experience staying at the SANDPEARL was about ten times better than at the HYATT & it was actually less expensive. The Hyatt felt like an expensive museum & the Sandpearl like a luxurious funhouse. Try getting to the bathroom from the hot tub at the Hyatt (another floor requiring an elevator) as opposed to 15 feet away at the Sandpearl.

As great as this place was its location is even better. Immediately surrounded by great restaurants across the street from lit tennis & basketball courts. The island is very narrow here and you actually are walking by the bay when you are just across the street. Best of all though is that you are on NORTH Clearwater beach. If you have traveled here you know that is the "no outlet" end of the island & walking on the beach to the north you discover something that the locals don't want you to know.

Caledesi State Park which actually looks like an island on the map is really connected to the end of North Clearwater beach by a sandbar & I heard it was voted the most beautiful beach in North America a couple of years ago. I can't imagine a prettier beach anywhere. There are no buildings & no streets... only a ranger station the last couple of miles (which serves cheeseburgers... thank goodness).

I would definitely & strongly recommend this resort to anyone I call friend.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brianfromCincy
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

Dear brianfromCincy,

We are thrilled you and your wife had such a wonderful time at the Sandpearl. This truly is a beautiful location and we appreciate your wonderful comments. The Sandpearl offers two options for parking, valet or off-site self parking. Now that the secret is out, Caladesi´s white sand beaches were rated America's Best Beach in 2008.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

My husband and another couple drove from Orlando to this beautiful resort on New Year's eve 2011 for a relaxing and lowkey pampering weekend. After years of hosting parties, we thought we would just enjoy being pampered this year. The weather cooperated, and although far from hot, it was pleasant enough to sit out by the pool and beach, and that is exactly what we did after experiencing a no fuss check in. After a few drinks by the beautiful, heated pool overlooking the gulf of mexico we went to our very comfortable rooms and readied for the dinner at their restaurant. Althought the ambiance and live music was great, the food fell short of my expectation for the "set menu". I won't get into a full meal review, let's just say that it was ok, but our waitress was wonderful, the dessert was good, and the wine awesome. I always hate to give a bad review to a restaurant the first time, and I didn't eat there again during my stay, so will just leave it at that.. The following morning, the first of the new year, we had a wonderful buffet breakfast that would rival any highly rated cruise ship's. They had the freshest berries, delicious pastries, juices, waffles, made to order omelets, fresh juices, cereals, and the typical bacon, sausage and potatoes. We ate on their outside patio, then grabbed chairs by the pool and read for a few hours.

Eventually, we went for a very long walk on the beach. It was pretty windy, but so sunny. We were able to finish a Bloddy Mary before going in for a scheduled massage.

The Spa....Beautiful, serene, clean....I asked for my time to be split between a relaxing rubdown and some reflexology, and guess what? I was told, "No problem, we can do that". It was a wonderful massage.

We chose to go off site for dinner that night, but did return for the wonderful breakfast the next morning eventhough we were told that because it was a sunday brunch, it would cost twice as much. Beware, the brunch price doesn't start until 11:00 and we were there way before, enjoying this wonderful bounty for a reasonable price.

I will return over and over to this resort. All room are big, well equiped, have an ocean view and a wonderful, helping staff. The beach is the widest that I've seen in Fl., with the sugar white sand, and the most spectacular sunsets.

All in all, not a bad way to start the new year!

Dear Isabel56,

Thank you for your positive reviews. It sounds like you and your husband started off the New Year wonderfully at the Sandpearl Resort. I am glad you were able to enjoy some time at our beautiful spa. Our Sunday brunch is from 11:30am-2:30pm and offers a larger selection of breakfast and lunch items, in comparison to our breakfast buffet that starts at 7am-11am. Happy New Year and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 6, 2011

The Sandpearl is a great resort that I have visited 3 times now. We most recently went for a 3 day getaway around New Year's. As many have said, the location is excellent and you can walk to many restaurants. We found the service to be top notch. We had a gulf view room with a balcony, which was awesome. We spent a lot of time in the evenings on the balcony. The refrigerator was good for keeping some beer and wine in the room. The only possible downsides that I can mention are that there are not enough chairs at the beach and/or the pool, so that can be an issue. Most of the chairs near the pool were in the shade. Also, I find that soundproofing between the rooms is a real issue at this hotel. We had someone on one side that was a night owl and had roaring laughter until very late, and then young children on the other side that were up at the crack of dawn. I woke up many times in the night hearing people walking by and talking. It was strange, and not a usual experience for me as I am a solid sleeper. We put the "nature noise" on the alarm clock raido on for the second night, and it was somewhat better, but still not great. That said, I am not really sure what can be done about that. The hotel is great, but pricey. For us, it was worth the splurge and we enjoyed the sunshine.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2011

Dear purplejenn11,

We are please you enjoyed your stay at the Sandpearl Resort.
I apologize your nights sleep was interrupted and I am glad you were able to find some refuge with our nature noise selection on the alarm clock. In the future, please allow us the opportunity to address any noise level issues, should they arise at any point throughout your stay. We certainly appreciate your continued patronage at our resort and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I wish I had taken some photos of the property to show it to you from my point of view, but I think you are in good hands with the ones that have already been posted on TripAdvisor. I mostly used TripAdvisor to research which hotel to stay at in Clearwater, and after reviewing many positive comments and looking through other traveler’s photos, I was convinced that the Sandpearl was where we had to stay...no regrets!

We arrived on December 30th (well, more like 31st early morning due to flight delays out of the Northeast) and stayed through January 2nd, spending most of our days on the beach and in the pool. We are in our late 20's, and found there to be more families here with children than expected, but I think this gave the resort a more fun, relaxed, and lively atmosphere.

As soon as we pulled up, we found the valet to be extremely friendly and helpful (it was about 1:30 am and I had asked where the good places were to go out and what time they were open until (especially since I am from New York and places are usually open until 4)...in case you are wondering, he told us that Brown's (across the street) is open until 3 - we were too tired from our flight and decided to take it easy). (The valet service was also great whenever we took our car out to explore Tampa a bit more, making sure we had directions if we needed them.) He also brought us champagne while we waited for the front desk to check us in. The man at the front desk was also extremely patient and helpful, even in the middle of the night.

NOTE: If you want a room with a balcony and a good view of the pool/beach, please make sure you request this, otherwise you might be awfully disappointed. We had a balcony but did not have a great view (Room 527), but honestly, we didn't spend much time in the room anyway and just appreciated the good weather, so no real complaints here.

The sand on the beach is white and soft and comfortable to walk on. I should probably do some research on why the beach is called Clearwater, since the water isn't really all that clear, but regardless, the sand feels great. The water was definitely cold, so we went swimming in the heated pool, which was super close to the beach anyway and again, a non-issue for us. I would definitely suggest getting up a bit early to reserve your beach chair/pool chair. There are not that many beach chairs (perhaps there are more when the hotel is at a fuller occupancy?), and there are only a few sections of chairs around the pool where you actually get good sunlight...unless you want to be outside and sitting in the shade is good for you, then you probably won't have a problem. Also, there are actually TWO outdoor hot tubs – I thought there was just one (the more visible one which is close to the beach), but there is one tucked away in the back to the side of the Tate Grill, towards the bathrooms.

I also really liked the design and materials used in the bathroom – all were Kohler products, and I loved the natural stone tiles used in the shower and on the floor. I also thought the Silestone was a good choice for the vanity countertop. The hotel is also quite generous with the amount of towels provided per room (we had 4 full-sized bath towels and there were only two of us), and there was no limit on the amount of towels you could use at the pool/beach. I also though the bathroom amenities were of decent quality and the fragrance of the products were great for a hotel (i.e. generic enough but showed hints of a little luxury – it smelled somewhat floral, but perhaps with a few citrus and melon notes, and definitely not too overwhelming of a scent, especially when compared to the Crabtree & Evelyn products provided at Hilton chain hotels – their body lotion gives me headaches…I hope this is a good comparison point for someone). Also convenient was the mini-fridge which was a complete surprise to me in the room.

The location of The Sandpearl was also amazing. There are lots of good restaurants (Frenchy’s, Clear Sky Café – if you go for brunch, I recommend the Almond French Toast) and bars nearby, as well as a CVS (in case you forgot any last minute items, or wanted to stock your room with some snacks/water) and a liquor store. Also good to note: you can have open containers on the resort’s beach property, so if you just wanted a drink, you could bring a cooler onto the beach and not pay $6 a beer at the pool bar! When you’re on vacation, every little bit you can save helps.

Generally, I thought the pool/beach food/drink service was a bit slow, so order your drinks and food well in advance of when you REALLY want it. Also, if you are eating on the beach, beware of the seagulls – they tend to swoop down and steal your food.

Finally, I’m not sure if it was our room, but I found the air-conditioning to be a bit testy – I had it on 68F (which is the lowest it goes since it is a “green” hotel) and on HI, however the room never seemed to get cold enough. It wasn’t a huge problem so I never asked for it to be checked, but for readers of this review, I would like you to know that I get cold pretty easily and if the room didn’t get cold enough for me, I’m not sure how it would feel for you… also, the housekeeping service was a bit slow… not that it mattered, but I would often return to the room at 3 or 4 and found it in the same state we left it in, so I got a bit paranoid and impatient, calling the hotel operator to make sure we would have our room serviced. I’m not sure if this was annoying for them, but I guess I am used to housekeeping usually waking me up at 10am – they seemed to be on a different schedule here. Again, not an issue at all, but unexpected I guess.

Overall, I had a great experience and would absolutely return to this resort. I have already told lots of my friends to check it out when planning their next R&R vacation…when I finally come back, I’d like to check out the yoga classes (it seemed like they were offered almost daily?), the spa, the outdoor restaurant, and the fitness center (which is open 24/7).

Dear yummie825,

Thank you for the extensive review of our resort. It sounds like you were able to enjoy yourself here at the Sandpearl. In response to some of your comments, we offer a few different types of views from our guest rooms that overlook the Gulf, the descriptions and pictures are listed on our website. I am glad the weather cooperated and you were able to spend time on our private beach and pool area. Our housekeeping service is offered from 8am-4:30pm weekdays and on weekends from 9a-5:30pm.

When you come back you must check out our Yoga classes they are offered several times a week and on weekends!

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Beautiful resort, all the amenities, amazing views, truly spectacular.
Pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2011

Dear sophie_c_l,

Thank you for your positive response. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Sandpearl resort, and hope you are able to visit with us again soon.