“Great hotel....noisy beach”

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 25, 2013

What should have been a great trip turned into a battle to avoid multiple motorized vehicles all over the beachfront. Lovely hotel but being banished to the room in order to get some peace and quiet was not what I had in mind for the price.

Sandpearl should look into decreasing the noise pollution on their beautiful beachfront and get someone to trim the bushes manually rather than using a weed whacker. This is not the place to stay for peace and quiet!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Sandpearl Resort. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We try very hard to provide a relaxing and tranquil experience for all of our guests. I apologize for this not being the case during your last stay.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to speak regarding your experiences.

Eric Waltz

Write a ReviewReviews (2,461)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we got here because we booked online and actually did get a room upgrade since it was available upon check in from a gulf view room to a gulf front junior suite. The room was very nice! One part that I loved which my husband thinks is stupid of me is that the remotes have a tv guide wrapped around them that on the front says the remote has been sanitized which makes me feel like even small things that most places don't either think about or care about have been cleaned really well. You do have to pay a $25 resort fee each day which included beach towels, beach chairs and 2 bottled waters but at turndown service if we had already drank the two bottled waters or put them in the fridge they would leave 2 more. The only negative is that on top of the resort fee, the valet fee of $20/day plus tax on both adds up each day especially since most of the time you only need to use valet upon arrival and departing because it is such a central location that you can pretty much walk everywhere, so we essentially paid an extra $100 for our car to be parked in their garage while we were there. A neat thing that they have on the weekends are smores on the beach which sounded like a fun idea until we started and realized that the breeze on the beach where the fire pit actually was made it hard to make smores because smoke was constantly getting in your eyes and you were having to move and not enjoy it so I would not suggest to do that. There are a couple places to eat around the resort so I wouldn't suggest eating lunch at one of the places on site unless you want to pay approx. $10 more per person. Overall a great place but there is not much activity going on at the resort at night especially during the week so you will need to venture out to keep from getting bored.

Room Tip: I would say to book what you can afford online to get the best rates and then hopefully you will get...
4  Thank Brandi C
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort and Spa. I am so glad to hear that availability allowed us to upgrade your room upon arrival. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We are locals but still enjoy spending a long weekend here every summer. The rooms are clean and nice. Service is good and the spa is an added bonus. Of course, the beach is unparalleled. There are many dining options in the area if you get tired of eating at the hotel. The food is very good but I feel the menu is a little limited for a resort. A bit over-priced, but there isn't much competition in the area as far as hotels. We are happy to have a place so close to home to get a mini vacation once in a while.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort. I am delighted to hear that we are a close getaway destination for you to have a mini vacation once in awhile. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Very mixed feelings on this one!

Just got back from an amazing trip with my daughter to Clearwater Beach, Florida. Overall, we had an incredible time and I'll have very fond memories of this trip for years to come. It's hard to write a mediocre review when you're in a really good mood! However, this review is about our hotel, not our trip, so here goes….

I did my research. Clearwater Beach is known for Winter the Dolphin and it's beautiful beaches, not for fancy resorts or five star restaurants. With that in mind, my expectations were set appropriately and I was really excited to relax and enjoy a cool little beach town with my daughter.

The town did not disappoint….but unfortunately, the hotel did.

In general….

Location - Excellent…right on the sand and close to the main strip.

Hotel Appearance -Quite a few notches below a Four Seasons type property, but nice enough. Pretty much what you'd expect from a decent hotel in a small beach town. Could use an update.

Room - We had a one bedroom suite with full kitchen. Nothing special for the price, but not bad.

Food - Tried the restaurants on property. Nothing outstanding….nothing terrible. Just ok. Many better options off property.

Service - Wildly inconsistant. From very good…. to so bad that I'll never go back (see "The Ugly")

The good...

- Checked in….front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming.

- Room service -always came on time and was pretty decent.

- Concierge was very helpful!

- Pool staff was pretty good, but spread thin. Sometimes you'd get your drink in 10 min….sometimes 30 min…sometimes not at all.

- They always had a few bottles of water in the room. The small things count

- Black out curtains that actually blacked out the light coming in at 6am. So simple, but so important!

The bad...

- Ordered room service (sushi) for lunch. Called 3 times throughout the day to have the stinky dished picked up. They finally came at 10pm at night (8 hours later) while my daughter was on the sofa trying to to sleep (because after 2 requests during the day, they never set up the pull out bed). uggh

- The Bed. Not very comfortable.

- The Pillows. Horrible. Small and hard as a rock.

- No mini bar. Personal pet peeve. Every hotel should have comfortable pillows and a mini bar!

The Ugly….and the single reason I would never go back

Last day of our trip. I'm happy overall and have already forgotten about the "bad" things I listed above. I get a call on my cell phone at 3pm saying that we need to check out of our room immediately. We were leaving for the airport at 5pm and we had been told that we had a late check out so I was a bit surprised by the call. The receptionist said there must have been a mis-understanding and we had to check out right away. I'm pretty easy going and we were already packed so I said we could be back at the hotel in a few minutes and would check out asap. I figured we could hang by the pool, kill some time and shower at the spa before our flight home. A bit of an inconvenience, but no big deal. Every nice hotel I've ever stayed at let's you use the spa after you've checked out while you're waiting to go to the airport.

We get back to the hotel and our key is deactivated so I go to the front desk, get a new key and tell them we'll be out within a few minutes and ask if we can use the spa to clean up. The receptionist then tells me that they don't allow guests at the hotel to use the spa showers unless they have a spa treatment booked. I tell her that I understand their policy, but we need to shower before getting on a 5 hour flight back home so we could either shower in our room and hold up the next guest that was trying to check in or we could get our stuff out immediately and shower in the spa. She tells me that it's not possible to use the spa AND that we are going to be charged for another night for checking out late. I say, ok if we're going to be charged for another night anyway, then I guess we're in no rush and we'll just shower in our room. She says…no, you have to check out immediately, but we're still charging you for another night. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm either on candid camera or it's her first day on the job. I thought about asking for the manager, but honesty, I didn't want to continue this ridiculous negotiation. After all that, we go up to the room, take showers and leave. So….they end up with a pissed off customer leaving and probably a pissed off customer trying to check in…. and during the time that the receptionist sat there and explained to me all of the things they COULDN'T do, we could have showered in either place and been done with it. I'm pretty sure a simple exception to their NO HOTEL GUEST'S WHO HAVE STAYED WITH US FOR 5 NIGHTS AND SPENT A TON OF MONEY AT OUR PROPERTY STILL CAN'T USE THE SPA TO TAKE A SHOWER RULE" would have been in order here.

The only thing worse than a bad first impressions, is a horrible last impression….

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank Kquest99
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We just had another great experience at The SandPearl Resort. We have stayed in other luxury resorts around the Clearwater area and nothing compares. This place has it all... a great facility with fabulous gulf views, a great pool area, and the most exclusive white sand beach right on the property. We went for one night to celebrate our anniverssary and they surprised us with 8 increadibly tasty stawberries dipped in dark chocolate which were delivered to our room during our siesta time. Our four course dinner at their Carreta fine-dining restaurant was very impressive but for lunch we had at the pool bar the very best grouper sandwich in the entire State of Florida. Finally, what makes this boutique hotel great is their employees. They anticipate your every need and make all of your wishes come true.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review of your most recent stay with us at The Sandpearl Resort and Spa on the beautiful Clearwater Beach. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort as much as you did and that you decided to spend your anniversary with us. We hope we provided some treasured memories for you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Attended a wedding at this resort and it was nearly flawless. The hotel is beautiful, clean, and marvelously designed. The service was impeccable from the front desk, to the pool security, to the cleaning staff, to the beach waiters. The beach in front of the hotel was the nicest beach I can recall. Huge, perfect white sand, and warm water. They clearly rack the beach regularly as it was too perfect to be natural. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and there is turn down service (a small perk but when accompanied by chocolates, a very cute note, and the weather forecast for the next day it really makes for a nice touch). The few less than perfect things were very minor. We had a little trouble getting our bags brought up by the concierge, the hotel is very cold with the AC turned up to full power (nice when you walk in from the beach, tough on ladies in evening dresses), and the pool was too shallow for my taste (really more of a kids pool) but it was incredibly relaxing to sit around on very nice chairs with good music and service. This is a fantastic place for a family vacation. They even have kids day camp that runs every day.

Room Tip: If you are on the 4th floor your balcony is HUGE about as big as the room. On other floors you have...

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort and Spa. I am glad that you were able to visit and attend a beautiful wedding here at the resort on Clearwater Beach. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is well appointed. Great location, nice rooms, great beach, great place for family or couples. Has a nice bar and fun dance floor. Within walking distance to lots of shopping and activities. The concierge was great help. I think the restaurant was a little overrated and overpriced. I was disappointed in it, but certainly not the resort. We had a great time! I would definitley stay here again.

Room Tip: the bay view is just as nice as the ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Svetano1
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for providing us with such positive feedback regarding your great vacation with us here at The Sandpearl Resort and Spa. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and that you had a great time with us. We look forward to your next visit and appreciate your feedback.