“Average stay but great staff!”
Review of Sandpearl Resort

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #6 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Average stay but great staff!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Wow! for over $500/ night I was a little disappointed. I'm a local and would have loved to put this place on my list of places to come back to- I'm not sure I will though.

First,the staff deserves kudos as they were ALL fantastic. Customer service for us was A+ every where we went. Polite, they smiled, they were kind, and never acted as if we were bothering them.
Tipping the valet for the car got a little expensive, but they were quick and helpful so we didn't mind.

The facility itself is impressive! Great spot on the beach, beautiful paintings in the lobby. But our room was just ok. I mean, it was pretty, but I've stayed in Hilton's and even Marriott's that were just as nice if not even more fancy room wise. Not what we thought we'd get for over $500! We had a view of the bay- NOT the ocean, which was fine. The sunrise is beautiful from that side. Our room was on the 5th floor, so we could see both the busy street (fun people watching) and the Inter-coastal.

Our internet didn't work for one full day. When we called about it, they had us try a few things, then patched us through to their IT company. After being on the phone with them for over 20 min. we decided we really didn't want to sit in our room all day. They told us they were having issues so to call back later. Fast forward 7 hours... STILL doesn't work. Call down to discuss with front desk who (for the first time) seemed to have an attitude to inform us that ONLY we were having issues, and to use the business area if we really needed online access. Call It guys again, leave again, upon return it FINALLY works!

No one offered to refund us the "fee" which we paid despite not having service an entire day. $500 a night! To top all that off, a whole power strip in our room (by the desk) didn't work at all. Meaning once we did have internet, we had to move the outlet to the floor. In my mind, all of this is absolutely unacceptable for the price per night.

The only other issue was the thin walls. I was there over Spring Break, bu could hear the neighbors "tinkle, flush, and even, yes.... vomit..... over and over again.

Seriously. Because of these issues, the next time we stay at the beach and want to feel pampered, we will be headed to the cheaper and just as luxurious Doubletree.

Overall, not a bad trip. But for the price per night, this hotel REALLY needs to make sure their facilities are top notch! They also need to make sure they are offering acceptable refunds to guests who have broken rooms and or services.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cakegirl4
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Sandpearl Resort. I truly do appreciate the feedback. I was happy to hear that you found out team to be fantastic and you rated our service an A+. Thank you! I was also glad that you thought our facility was impressive.

Please acept my sincere apology for the issues you experienced with the Internet and the noisy neighbors.

If you would like to speak personally regarding your stay and find it appropriate please reach out to me directly at the hotel.

Eric Waltz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have stayed at similar distinctive properties and experienced far better service than here. The rooms are small and very average for the price. We paid nearly $600 + Resort fee of $25 and experienced a number of service failures as below.

The property is well located on the beachfront and is in stunning grounds. We went to our room and experienced a technical problem so rang down, and was advised an Engineer would come to our room, no one came. We didn't want to make a big deal of this, and so left it and went out for dinner. On our return we sat in the lobby, enjoying the atmosphere and music, my husband was playing draughts with our daughter, and I was enjoying sitting on the couch with a beautiful smelling candle when a member of staff walked over and abruptly blew out the candle and than apologised for spoiling my ambience, so very rude, and it was only 10.15pm! We went to bed at this point, however there was a lot of noise coming from the bar across the street until the early hours of the morning, so it was anything but restful. We ordered a late lunch at 2.30pm as up until this point they had been very busy, however we didn't expect to wait over an hour for our food to arrive! No one informed us in advance it would take this long, as we would have had a choice to wait or not! There were limited sun loungers available on the beach other than the beach cabana's or sun loungers at an additional fee of £25/$30. I thought this was what the resort fee covered, what a rip off!

On check out to make matters worse, the hotel had already charged us an extra $141, the difference in the room rate as the rate had gone up. We booked directly with the hotel so not sure how this happened, on proof of the booking confirmation from the hotel, the hotel rectified this. Would I recommend this hotel, or stay here again, I think you would find better service, value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Matt L
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Sandpearl Resort. Please accept my sincere apologies for the technical issues you experienced in your room as well as the blowing out of the candles in the lobby. I am also sorry that your room service took over an hour to get to your room. This should not have happened and for that I am deeply sorry.

If you would like to speak personally regarding these issues please feel free to contact me directly at the resort.

Virginia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Beautiful beach, convenient location, great food and drinks at resort restaurants. We had a 2 room suite and were so thankful for the full kitchen and washer/dryer. We saved so much money by hitting the Publix just a few mins away.

The only reason I did not give the resort 5 stars is because of some issues at check in and some subpar housekeeping. I called the resort when we arrived in the area at 1pm, simply to request a call when the room was ready. I did not expect an early check in. Was told it would be ready shortly and we could go ahead and preregister. So, we swung by the hotel around 1:30, gave my credit card, etc. and was told they should be calling me within an hour to check in. At 3:45, we wanted to know if it was safe to buy cold items at the grocery store, called and was told the room was being worked on and it was guaranteed to be ready at 4. Got to the hotel at 4 and was told the room was not ready and they would call as soon as it was ready (we confirmed by cell phone number.) At 4:30, I checked again. The room was ready and the agent said they just left me a message. I received no such message. She asked for my credit card even though I had already preregistered. They had absolutely no record of me being there 3 hours prior. She then inisisted my credit card was expired, even though it clearly states the expiration on the card, and had to swipe it twice. It was just a really frustrating experience that did not need to be so difficult and I will be amazed if I don't have some issues with my credit card statement, being that my card was run 4 times.

As for housekeeping, the rooms clearly were not vacuumed daily as the same crumbs remained under the dining table all week. Also, our sheets were never changed. Literature in the room indicated the sheets would be changed on the third day, but clearly never were. This wouldnt have been an issue except for the fact that some sand found its way in my kids' beds. For the $1000 a night we paid for our suite, these don't seem like big things to ask. Otherwise, housekeeping consistently refreshed towels and supplies.

Other than these two issues, would highly recommend this resort and would love to go back.

Room Tip: Caladesci suite provides panoramic view of all angles
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kmh73
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at The Sandpearl Resort. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your two bedroom suite complete with the full kitchen. Thank you for sharing your concerns with our front desk check in experience as well as with our housekeeping department, we have addressed these issues with our teams. If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at the resort at your convenience. We look forward to seeing you again and we appreciate your feedback.

Jason Olinik
Assistant Front Office Manager
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We just got back from the Sand Pearl and it was amazing. We were there to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. At check in, they upgraded us to a Suite. The room was beautiful and had two balconies facing the gulf. They also delivered chocolate covered strawberries to our room that afternoon. The perfect place to celebrate and watch a beautiful sunset. Everyone at the hotel was so helpful and friendly. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Sandpearl Resort. I am delighted to hear that you chose The Sandpearl for your husband's 40th birthday, it was a pleasure to have you. We hope you make this a tradition and we see you for more birthdays and holidays in the near future. Thank you once again, we appreciate your feedback.

Jason Olinik
Assistant Front Office Manager
Koszalin, Poland
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Nice hotel with beautiful grounds and good food. For such a pricey place, I expected the rooms to be nicer. Don't get me wrong, they are nice but average. The location is great, right on the beach and walking distance to shops and restaurants. Not sure I would stay there again for $500+ a night and we booked early. The prices went up to $700/ night for the time we were there (3/24-27). The service was good and the rooms were clean. However, we were not supplied with a "Do Not Disturb" sign (and were not able to get on from housekeeping). That was annoying!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank papineauSA
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Beautiful resort however
Housekeeping has knocked twice on door 830am and 930am even though there is a do not disturb sign.
Checkout isn't until 11
Long wait for valet yesterday and they brought wrong car

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gatornole99
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Sandpearl Resort. Please accept my sincere apology for the issue you had with Housekeeping knocking on your door too early in the morning even though there was a DND sign. I am not sure why that happened but I will meet with our Executive Housekeeper and review your comments.

If you would like to speak in person and you feel it appropriate please feel free to contact me at the resort.

Manchester
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were lucky enough to visit the Sandpearl with friends. It really is breathtaking. I cannot complement the staff enough, they were incredibly efficient, generous with their time, kindly towards the children and discreet when required. The Concierge were incredibly helpful - nothing was too much trouble and Valet were friendly and quick to deliver.

The views from the beach restaurant are incredible and the food exceptional - we cannot fault this hotel it is perfect in every way.

Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Livvster2000
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Sandpearl. I am so happy to hear that you found our property fabulous.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced with your room type and housekeeping. During busy times it is often difficult to accomodate all requests however we do our best to try to make each guests happy. Many times the agreement that we have with our third party vendors is for a standard room however no specifics are given. It is for that reason that sometimes you can receive lower rates than the hotel offers directly. It does sound though that we could have done a better job of explaining that to you during your stay. i will follow up with our Front Office Manager and review with his team.

If you would like to speak in person regarding your stay, please feel free to contact me at the resort. I do hope that you come back and visit us.