“Family weekend visit”

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This Hotel has got a lot going for it namely its wonderful location and superb staff. We stayed for 3 days as part of a 3 week family holiday in Florida. It is right on the beach and has its own great pool area. The room was beautiful and the Hotel has an air of quality about it. The Sunday brunch was brilliant and the pool food and drinks tremendous.We enjoyed our stay but there were a few niggles that if they had not been there would have made it perfect and our stay longer:
1. Wifi was appalling
2. This is not a cheap Hotel and its annoying to have to pay an extra resort fee per day, an extra fee for use of chairs, umbrellas etc on the beach and compulsory valet parking
3.Coffee machine in room yes but no cream or sugar
4.Although we were residents of the Hotel we could not get a table for dinner on the Saturday night despite requesting one on the Friday, this would not happen in Europe.

I feel all of the above niggles could be ironed out by management concentrating on the big picture and not chasing nickels.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Michael M
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location here on Clearwater Beach and also that you found our staff to be superb. We look forward to being a part of your family vacation for years to come, and thank you once again for your feedback!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Sandpearl from 03.06.13 1nd left early 02.09.13. We booked a Gulf Suite but through Preferred Hotel Group had an upgrade to a Gulf View room..

Check in toook maybe all of 5 minutes. Vrey efficient, very friendly, and we were on our way. Our room on the sixth floor (608) was perfect. Agreat view of the hotel grounds and pool with a perfect view of the beach looking toward Pier 60, or (61?). The balcony was great for glasses of wine and when the weather got too windy and a bit of rain started to be able to sit and still enjoy the view. The room was well equipped. The bed was comfortable, the pillows wonderful. Mini bar and coffee and what you would expect from a resort were all there. The room was refreshed daily.

The bathroom was a nice size and you had plenty of room to move around in. The shower was great, but we were a little disappointed in the shampoo, conditioner that were provided. The quality did not seem as high as other places we have stayed. Bring your own as we did, just in case. Towels were nice weight and of good quality too..

The closet was plenty big for two and included two robes. I hate when some hotels only provide one robe, when two people are stayimng. Ironing board and iron as well as in room safe were also provided.

The hotel was or did not seem very crowded till Fridayand then you could tell a spike in guest, but still never felt crowded as it may at spring break or during the summer. The Tate Grill was a great place to order drinks and take down to the lounge chairs on the beach. We were told they had beach service,but never saw any or was approached for service till the time they start putting the unbrellas away and stacking the lounge chairs. We did have to walk to the Grill to help ourselves. Even in February, I would expect a Resort of this quality to still provide that service and attention even in February and especially if the beach chairs and umbrellas are set up mfor guest to use as they would be any time of year. We ordered a pitcher of mojitos from the grill and enjoyed it at our base on the beach.

The concierge was helpful in having a taxi for me to get to my business function as this was business for me and pleasure for my wife. I would not suggest using the taxi's stationed at the hotel or any taxi other than one that identify's itself as a taxi. The one waiting at the drive and entrance to the hotwl was less than professional' The lady driver wasok, but she had no idea where I was going and had no GPS in the car. She kept making calls to a few people to get directions and still couldn't get any help. I finally used my navigation on my phone and told her where to go. I was late to my meeting do to this. And on top of it all she was the most expensive by at least $10.00 ($55.00 w/ tax) as opposed to $34- $37.00 the other three rides. She also did not have a card reader in her car and used an old fshioned manual press to emboss the card info. This makes me a little uncomfortable because they have all your information when you leave, not just the receipt. We also hired super shuttle from the airport and it was $59.00 to Sandpearl and we had to wait 20-30 minutes to see if the driver could get more fares. I would suggest hiring a taxi or a private car as it seems easier and more direct. At the hotel United Cab is a good cab and reasonable, both locally and for getting back to the airport. They charge a flat $36.00 f4rom Sandpearl to the Tampa Airport.

We ate the first night at Bobby's Bistro down the street and it was wonderful food from start to finish. The other two nights we ate at Frenchy's Rockawy Grill which is right next to the Resort and it was pretty good and reasonable.Frency's has real beach atmosphere. My wife had lunch from the Tate Grill one day and said it was good also. We just like to venture out and try things away from the property no matter where we travel. For alcohol in your room, there is a good little liquor store behind the Clear Sky Grill that is open late and reasonable.
Thye in room mini bar was sticked with all you need, but it is nice to pick your own wine and have a real bottle instead of a split and full bottle prices. Nothing against the Resort for this, you expect it in a mini bar.

My wife had a pedicure at the Sandpearl Spa and absolutely loved it. She commented the service and quality were excellent. She would book a sevice with them again without hesitaion.

All in all, we loved our stay at the Sandpearl! Everyone was friendly and helpful! The Resort is beautiful and the location right on. From looking at the other hotels that line the beach the Sandpearl seems to be the only choice and the best choice. We would stay at the Sandpearl again without hesitaion and in a Gulf View room or Suite.
he

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mccrazyone
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with such great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and location as well as our friendly staff. We look foward to seeing you again the next time you visit Clearwater Beach!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The good things about this hotel are many. The room I had was excellent, with a stunning view out over the gulf (and overlooking the swimming pool, which was pleasant). The room was large, with a nice sitting area, nice (though small) balcony, and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was nice as well, with a big free-standing bath, as well as a decent shower.

The resort generally was excellent. All the staff were extremely friendly; always nice when you go in a bar one evening and the next they have remembered your name. While I was at a conference, so we were mostly eating buffet style food, that was excellent. The one "a la carte" meal I had in the beachfront restaurant was really nice.

As a place to hold a conference, it was hard to fault as well. All the meeting space we had was in good condition, and everything went well.

The only thing that let it down, and has cost it a 5 rating, was the check-in experience, which was far too slow. I did arrive late, but even so, having only one person on reception who also seemed to be having to answer an inordinate number of phone calls, just isn't good enough. The second problem was that on my last morning there I found I had been sharing my bathroom with two cockroaches. Well, I think it was two - they were the ones that came out of hiding!

Room Tip: You'll want a beach view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank PaulMJohnson

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the room, resort, and especially the resort staff. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and have been sure to pass them on to the appropriate departmental managers. Thank you for providing us with feedback, we really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I attended a conference at the SandPearl and my wife joined me for a few days of rest and relaxation. I will start with the positives: the service was impeccable. From the valet to the bellman to the front desk and concierge, everyone was superbly trained in the art of customer service. The location of the hotel is perfect as well. Excellent restaurants, bars and shopping were just steps down the street and the beautiful beach was right out the back door. Finally, the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful.

Now for the so-so: while we'd requested either a beach front or bay view king we were given a double on the south end of the hotel. While we could see both the bay and a partial view of the beach, our fifth floor balcony was directly above a restaurant and bar across the street. The nightlife and live entertainment stretched well into the night, forcing us to keep the balcony door closed just so we could sleep.

The beds were very uncomfortable; so uncomfortable that my wife and I had to each take a separate bed just so we could get to sleep. We had planned on buying some cans of soda at the pharmacy down the street and keeping them in the small in-room refrigerator. Unfortunately the fridge was not working properly and wouldn't cool. We got a fresh bucket of ice each night, but I was very disappointed that housekeeping never replaced our ice bucket liner during our entire three night stay.

The excellent location and service somewhat makes up for the lack of comfort of the room, but the nightly rate certainly didn't deliver the comfort I expected.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank T Darrin A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Sandpearl Resort. I am glad to hear that our service throughout your stay was impeccable. I appreciate your feedback and have passed on your concerns with our housekeeping and engineering departments. Again, thank you for writing a review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a board retreat. Arrived at midnight to soft music playing in my room and beautiful accommodations. Able to get heart night's sleep on a very comfortable bed and quiet surroundings. Woke up to a wonderful view . Able to enjoy coffee and breakfast sitting on their beautiful beach with the whitest and finest sand I've ever seen. Great location near clubs, shops, restaurants, walking paths.. Super friendly staff. I used one of the bikes they have available. Steve, working at the activities desk gave me lots of helpful tips to make the most of the limited time in had. Also really enjoyed all of their good food including dinner at their on site restaurant. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank nmsmaine
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort. I am glad that you enjoyed the beach and that you took the time to take a bike ride on the beautiful Clearwater Beach. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Florida.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

the Sand Pearl was a terrific surprise. We attended an industry function which is normally held at a convention type hotel. Although this is not a small facility you had the feeling of a well run inn with reasonable priced rooms a very friendly staff and a well laid out property. It is located right on the beach with a very nice pool area in the middle of the complex. Our room was very clean, large, and had a huge balcony( we were on the 4th floor). I'm sure our group will return.

Room Tip: 4th floor has large balcony
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Carl v

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Sandpearl Resort. It is great to hear that although you attended an industry function you still found time to enjoy the property and location. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return to the resort.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We just returned home from an overnight getaway from the Sandpearl - which was formerly the Clearwater Beach Hotel during our childhood. The property has totally changed since we stayed there on our wedding night in 1998. For several years, the property has donated auction items to one of my favorite charities and this year's donation topped them all - room, spa credit and dinner for two at Caretta on the Gulf! After being greeted with some complimentary welcome bubbly, we were surprised with our outstanding gulf view junior suite accommodations. Our muscles got worked during our couples massage at the Spa. We then ate tasty appetizers on the beach at Tate Island Grill (the pulled pork nachos were over the top ...) and watched the sun set from our balcony. The day ended with an excellent dinner at Caretta on the Gulf. The portions were very generous - even on the prix fixe menu. A special thanks to Manager Dan Kauffman and his wait staff for taking care of us. We returned to Caretta the next day after our morning run and took advantage of the breakfast buffet - which was quite good and in line with most resort offerings and pricing. Thanks to the Sandpearl for your continued generosity and supporting non-profit organizations. We hope to return in a few months on our anniversary!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Molly W
Jason O, Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review of your most recent stay at The Sandpearl Resort and Spa. I am so glad to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy everything that the resort has to offer and especially so many things that make The Sandpearl so unique. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Dan Kauffman and the rest of the Caretta on the Gulf team. I would love for you to return and spend your anniversary with us, please contact me at the resort so I can assist you with making that happen. Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you soon!