“A Real Life "Happily Ever After" Wedding....”
Review of Sandpearl Resort

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #7 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fort Collins, Colorado
“A Real Life "Happily Ever After" Wedding....”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Planning a destination wedding is NEVER easy and never having stayed or seen the Sandpearl personally we chose the resort merely from online reviews, vendor reviews, and pervious visits to the Clearwater Beach area.
We worked with Debbie Glancy in the catering and events department and she was the absolute greatest. She made everything about planning the whole event effortless and fun.
We were so excited to see the resort and upon our arrival were truly surprised by the level of class and sophistication that the Sandpearl provided to us and our guests for the whole stay. Everything from the moment we arrived was PERFECT and beyond our imagination. We were never stressed and every member of the Sandpearl staff was attentive and more than willing to help us with anything.
I would without a doubt recommend the Sandpearl to anyone wanting to stay in Clearwater Beach and if you are looking for a perfect destination wedding spot then you have found your perfect location...make sure to work with Debbie Glancy for sure! She honestly made all our dreams come true!

As far as the resort...the rooms are spacious and amazing comfortable. It feels like a home away from home. Every meal we had either at the Marketplace, Tate's, or Caretta on the Gulf was perfect. The closeness to the beach and the ability to go from the Gulf to the resort was perfect and we had so much fun!

If you are looking for a family vacation destination, couples retreat, or wedding venue you have found your perfect location in Clearwater Beach, Florida! :-)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LiveToTravelAlways11
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear LiveToTravelAlways11,

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for choosing to celebrate such a special day here at the Sandpearl Resort. I am pleased to hear that Debbie Glancy and her team helped to make all your dreams come true. We wish you years of health, happiness, and love.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Splurged for the Mandalay Suite and were not dissapointed! Had a side room so a view of both the bay and the Gulf from our 2 balconies. Room was impeccably clean and well appointed. In-room washer/dryer was a great bonus that we did not expect. The full stainless kitchen had everything you would need. Staff was extremely polite from clothing store to coffee shop and beyond. They were out of their signature "Coconut cups" at the pool bar. On our last night we asked again but they were still out. Later that night, a server showed up at our room and gave us 2 because their shipment had finally arrived. A very nice gesture.

One "BEWARE" which is very significant to me and causes 4 stars instead of 5 (should almost be 3 stars!). Drinks purchased while standing at the pool bar did not have the gratuity included. But if you use waiter service at the pool chairs just a few feet away, the gratuity is included and it was not very apparent to me (printed on bottom of receipt but not highlighted in any way nor mentioned on the menu). Thus they added the tip automatically and I then added what I thought was ~20% on top of the total bill. Ends up a total of ~$55 gratuity on a $150 tab. This discrepancy between procedure at the bar and the pool chaise a few feet away is incredibly innappropriate. I wish that server had the integrity to perhaps track me down as I can imagine it happens ALL THE TIME. (FYI, I did not bring this up with management. So I cannot comment on a response)

Kids Camp was closed, but it was midweek in July so not unexpected.

3 Thank sraema
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This was our second stay at the Sandpearl and the hotel and the location are still as great a ever.

After a two hour drive from Orlando, we were offered two glasses of sparkling wine at reception and were upgraded to a larger room with a sofa and a nice balcony for no additional charge, a nice touch.
The hotel lobby and rooms are still as we remembered them and are not showing any signs of ware and tear after two years. The breakfast buffet is really good and children eat for free so is much better value than the cafe opposite the hotel, would definitely recommend.
The hotel pool is wonderful and the staff attentive. Food offered by the pool is good value and sandwiches are big enough to be shared.
The beach is brilliant White sand and really quiet first thing in the morning. Sunsets are great to watch from the beach bar.
Overall a great hotel and by far the best hotel in Clearwater and great for a family break.

Minor niggles though compared to our first stay. As a returning guest I would have thought that a reception or in our room there would have been a note or something welcoming us back.
Previously on check-in we were taken to a room and offered a seat and a glass of sparkling wine, this time the wine was offered whilst we stood at reception. Nothing major but the room at reception looked as if it had been turned into a shop.

One thing which really did spoil it was on three occasions people were smoking both cigars and cigarettes both in and around the pool and there were cigarette ends in the gravel by the plants. We did complain but nothing was done.

Really great hotel but more attention to detail would make it first class.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Woodm1
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Dear Woodm1,
Thank you for sharing your thought in regards to your most recent stay here at the Sandpearl Resort. I am glad you found the property to be in mint condition. We have done a bit of remodeling of our lobby area and we now offer Collections, our boutique shop, just off the main entrance of the resort. I apologize for the smoking that occurred during your stay, we do have a designated smoking area beyond our boardwalk. I will share your thoughts with our security team to enforce smoking in our designated area only. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
Plymouth, UK
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My then partner (now husband) stayed here for one night at the end of our trip to Florida last year. We wish we had stayed here for more nights as this is truly a delightful place to spend your vacation. The rooms are gorgeous, the food is extremely good and the staff are helpful and courteous. We had such a memorable day and night at the Sand Pearl that we are booked in there for our honeymoon later this summer. We can't wait!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Congratulations! We are pleased you and your husband enjoyed your stay at the Sandpearl Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back on your honeymoon!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The building itself is beautiful and well maintained. Our room was gorgeous, as was the pool, beach, and lobby. All the common areas were well maintained. However, the service and the housekeeping is a joke. My daughters and I dined at Tate Island Grill and our waitress stopped by twice--to take our order and drop off our check--however service beachside, and poolside is much better. Caretta's on the Gulf is not much better. For the breakfast buffet, we watched as our waitress took the drink orders of 5 other tables who were sat after us before she took ours. Housekeeping is what really left a bad taste in my mouth upon leaving the resort. During our seven night stay, housekeeping was so-so. Somedays we'd get our shampoo and new towels others not. And during the last half of our stay, housekeeping almost did not come. I returned from the room at 4:30 on three separate days and room cleaning ends at 5 to start turn down service. I called housekeeping, and they gave me attitude saying my do not disturb sign was on all day--my sign was on from 9 to 9:30 am while I was at breakfast. And as soon as they finished cleaning, turn down service came, which defeats the purpose of your room being cleaned twice per day. The most disturbing thing of the visit though came when a fire alarm was set off. The alarm went off at midnight and everyone on the floor frantically exited the staircase together. Many people were barefoot, and there was shattered glass everywhere in the stairwell--housekeeping had not touched the area in weeks. And once we evacuated the building a staff person wasn't anywhere to be found. A firefighter had to tell us we could enter the building and nothing was wrong. There needs to be better safety procedures in place in the case of a real emergency. This hotel is nice, but it is not up to par with other hotels in the luxury resort category.

3 Thank canadiantraveler085
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Sandpearl. I was glad to see that you were pleased with the beauty and maintenance of the Sandpearl but I was obviously concerned with the service issues you experienced at both Tate's Island Grille and Caretta's on the Gulf as well as the housekeeping inconsistencies.

Regarding your service at Tate's and Caretta's, I truly apologize for the service failures you experiened. We pride ourselves on the friendliness and promptness of our service team but it appears we let you down on this visit.

You also mentioned the housekeeping service throughout your stay. While it is true that we do clean rooms until 4:30 in the afternoon and our Turn Down Service starts at 5pm it is handled by two different teams of associates. If you should decide to stay with us in the future (and I truly hope you will) you can request specific time windows in which to have you room cleaned. You also mentioned inconsistencies with the service they provided. I am very sorry for that. I have already shared your comments with our Housekeeping Team. We will use that as training material to continue to improve on our service.

I have also shared your feedback with the handling of the fire alarm that occured at midnight. Again, thank you.

If you feel it acceptable, I would like to talk personally regarding your experience at the Sandpearl. Please call me at your convenience to discuss.

Regards,
Eric Waltz
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We just returned yesterday from a five day stay at the Sandpearl Resort and all I can say is “AMAZING”! From the first minute we arrived until the very end of our stay, we were pampered and treated extremely well. Kathryn made us feel welcome when we first arrived and gave us so much of her time and attention. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making us feel so special! We had nothing but great service during our entire stay. A big thanks also to Jason, one of the pool wait staff. You were so attentive to our refreshment needs. You went out of your way to give the best possible customer service and were always such a friendly face to see each day. The valet and door service was phenomenal and every Sandpearl staff member that we came in contact with was so very friendly. We spent several evenings around the fire pit—what a picture perfect setting for an evening bonfire. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a paradise destination. After viewing the photos on the Sandpearl website prior to our arrival, I was worried that my expectation of the Sandpearl Resort would be too high—on the contrary. It was even better than described & pictured!! This was such a special vacation for our Mom and family to get away and enjoy spending time with each other. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you. This vacation will be one for the memory books. We hope to some day return for another phenomenal experience!!
Linda and family

Room Tip: Reserve a gulf front room. The view is spectacular!!!!
1 Thank fallriverlane
Dear Linda and Family,

I am so pleased to hear that from beginning to end, your stay at the Sandpearl Resort was amazing! Thank you for recognizing several of our staff members by name, I will certainly share your comments with our team. We hope the Sandpearl Resort will continue to be a special place in your hearts.
mckinney tx
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We came to the Sandpearl for a short 6 day stay, and although it rained one day for the entire day and half of the next, we had gorgeous weather after that. Check in was lightning fast and valet service was almost always very quick to serve us. I complemented the manager on the incredible staff. Our waitress at the Tate Grill remembered my son's name and our waiters at the beach always greeted us by name, thanks Leah, Tia and Jason! Jana at the grill was fantastic too. We have stayed at many high end properties in both the US and outside of the states, and this was every bit if not nicer than them all. You have to understand that you will get charged for the beach umbrellas, but the chairs themselves are free! I didn't know this until our last day. There are plenty of chairs too. We opted for the umbrellas though, because it was quite warm on the beach. The pool was beautiful too. Everyone really goes the extra mile here, the old adage that you get what you pay for is certainly true. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant on site but it was very good. Lunches at the Tate were almost daily and were very good each time. Management seem to have a very good rapport with their employees and that could be one reason why the service was so good.

1 Thank dallasmom2
Dear Dallasmom2,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your most recent stay here at the Sandpearl Resort. We are so pleased that you found our staff to be fantastic! I will certainly share your kind words with our team. We hope to see you and your family again soon.