“Wouldn't Rave About It”

Ranked #41 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Melbourne Australia
“Wouldn't Rave About It”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Well our stay didn't start well we dealt directly with the owners and when we arrived they said they knew nothing about our booking,,, luckly I had all our E Mails to confirm our booking [from the owners] after nearly having an arguement they said the only room they had left was a bigger room than we had booked so we would have to pay more than the agreed rate we had booked. we were then given a room that was very noisy and one of the blinds didn't even work the bathroom was so small you had to contort yourself to get to the toilet. The location was OK but there are so many in a better location, the parking was only on the street and not secure.
Would I stay again NO Would I recommend NO

Room Tip: Don't rely on dealing direct thru the owners
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rauchous
MichalinaAnna, Owner at Sands Point Motel, responded to this review, May 7, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. It did seem like you weren't very happy from the beginning which in that case you should have switched to one of the better motels you mentioned. We always want our customers to be happy with there stay. Also instead of charging you a lot more for the bigger room we only charged you 4$ more. Again we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. Thanks for your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here and will definately stay again! We traveled with our 9 month old daughter and stayed here for 5 nights while looking for a house in the Clearwater area. We'd reserved a smaller room (1 room with bed and small kitchen sink/stove ... no table) but when we arrived, the owner showed us the bigger suite (bedroom, living room, kitchen area), which was great and only $10 more a night. We glady accepted it! And still, a great price! The room was very cute and it was so nice to be able to grocery shop and make our own meals! They didn't have a portable crib but, when we bought a pack-n-play at a local Target and opted to leave it at the motel for them (instead of lugging it to the airport and paying absurd checking fees), she gave us half the cost of it towards our stay! So they have a crib now! :)

The motel is a block from the beautiful beach and great restaurants. The owners are on-site almost all the time and are very friendly. The other guests were great too! A few stay there year after year for weeks at a time! Everything is very well maintained. The ONLY thing I'd change is how bright the bedroom was in our room. There were blinds but no curtains so it was blinding in the morning (I'm a picky sleeper!). We'll definately stay again! Curtains or no curtains!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Our family and extended family have been coming to the Sands Point Motel around Easter time for over 15 years! We love the location (close to restaurants and the beach), pool and surrounding area including shuffleboard, rooms (cleanliness, accommodations, price) and most of all the service, The owners, friendly and caring, are onsite most of the time to ensure the guests are taken care of everything is running smoothly. Each year we come back we look forward to seeing the improvements that are made and we are never disappointed. We have already booked for April 2012!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ektelon
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Rooms are clean and comfortable. Walking distance to the beach, Pier 60, and many other attractions. The onsite pool is clean and always warm. The service is great and rates are reasonable. This is me second time here but its the first time with a wife and a two year old daughter, and they love it. Definately a place worth coming to.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
louisville, ky
Reviewed March 30, 2011

After seeing the high rating and reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I definitely expected more. I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel or even a 3 star one, but was disappointed none the less. Positives: the motel was clean and quiet and a block from the beach, the owner extended checkout from 10:30 until 11:00 when I asked, due to not leaving for the airport until 12:30, even allowing us to leave our bags outside of the room and to sit by the pool until the taxi came. Negatives: extra daily charges for kids staying in the room, pool closes at dusk, and daily maid service to room was poor. Out of 4 nights, on one occasion the bed was left unmade and on another the bedspread was thrown on the bed without even straightening out the top sheet underneath. Bathroom garbage was not emptied and sink not cleaned. We took out our own garbage from the bedroom area. The room was crowded, it had 2 beds as requested, but also a table with 2 chairs squeezed next to one bed with a big easy chair squeezed in front of it. There was no way you could get to the table or even sit in the easy chair due to these items being jammed in the corner between the side of the bed and the wall. On the day of check out, I requested 2 extra towels so that we could shower before leaving for the airport. I was told by the owner that she wasn't supposed to give out towels on checkout day because she left clean ones the day before. I explained that we showered after returning from the beach on the previous day and had already used the towels. She let me know that she was doing me a "favor" by giving me 2 more towels. The 85.00, + 10.00 for 2 children, daily rate was reasonable, but the guest service was not.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank leah w
MichalinaAnna, Owner at Sands Point Motel, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
I apologize you're not satisfied with your stay but I did let you stay 30 minutes for free (I could have charged you for this, any other motel would have). You booked the room for 2 people yet you had 4 stay and instead of charging you 10$ (5$ each person) I only charged you for one person (5$). Also, you slept in late till about 2 everyday, our service runs only in the mornings. Not until the afternoon, we do have other duties around the motel. Next, the pool closing at dusk is the law in Florida, I promise you would not be able to find a pool in a Florida motel that stays open past that time. Lastly, you picked the cheapest room, therefore it was small. And if you were unhappy during your stay I would have not wanted to keep you a minute longer, you were free to check out the minute you were unsatisfied.
Platteville, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We have been coming to the Sands Point every winter for the last seven years and these are the reasons why:
- It's about 100 yards to the best beach in Florida.
- The owners/managers are the greatest and treat us like family.
- The rooms are very clean and have everything we need.
- We can walk to many very good places to dine or shop.
- It has WiFi, a very nice pool, shuffle board, outside grill, and great friends.
- The prices are very reasonable and an excellent value.
- It's small, quiet, and very friendly.
You need to make reservations well in advance. If you have further question, you can email me at riderbigdave@yahoo.com. Please write "Sands Point" as subject and I will respond.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Davey70
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for Christmas. We had a wonderful time. When you see other reviews saying beach is 3 walk away, this is very true! You have a boat harbor across road from you and beaches are on the other side. This is island you are on, so you are surrounded by water! I loved it. I will warn you this is a old motel but is a wonderful motel. We were greeted with an old oil smell but people were frying fish in the place! We got use to it. We did not want to leave when our time was done.

We stayed in the one bedroom apt. It is truly a one bedroom apt! Felt like home.

For those that used Google maps for directions. To make things simple. Just follow FL-60 W all the way to motel. This road is a highway all the way to motel! Trust me the name changes for this road many times! Just watch for 60west all the way and then when you get to the beaches turn into the circle and then go toward the beaches. Then take back road on the left and then motel will be on the right about 4 blocks. Have fun we did!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple