“thumbs up!”

Sunrise Resort Motel South
Ranked #86 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Beautiful experience, relaxing, mellow. Took a room on the 2nd floor overlooking pool. First thing we did was to emerse ourselves into the heated pool (this is in January) to spend the rest of the day soaking and sunning. No kidding, it was really warm, unlike some of the others in the vicinity. Cost of the room with full kitchen and two double beds was very reasonable. Rooms were clean, mattresses soft, service friendly, prompt, and exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 7, 2010

We had reservations at the Sea Captain resort but after traveling all day we get there and they said they messed up and double booked our room and they were full. They called the sunrise resort and we were lucky they had a room for our family. We stayed for a week and we were on a tight budget. One room had two full beds then a storage closet and bathroom connecting to a room with a tv, table,kitchen, and a pull out sofa. Myself and my husband shared a bed, our two kids shared a bed, and my sister in law stayed in the other room on the sofa. We were never there for long but it was perfect. No it was not pretty, but it was clean! Never saw a bug! The pool was heated and clean. The other guests there were kind and respectful. If your looking for the ritz don't stay here. Hassid ran the motel and he was spectacular! Thanks Hassid! We had a great time. We walked to pier 60 every night and to the beach every day, We could have gotten by without a rental car for sure. We stayed for the entire week for around $700.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Im actually staying at this place a week at a time for the next couple months because myself and my crew are doing work across the street at the new resort.It's definetly not a place i would want to bring my wife and kids,.The rooms in my opinion are very dirty,t.v's are from the early 80's showers don't work right. Stay away from here..

"

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2009

After staying at Sunrise for many years, through name changes, color scheme changes and 4 different owners I must say things are feeling better.
No more rude people running the motel ignoring requests for a clean and warm pool. No more agreeing on paper to be poolside and being told your room is taken when you get there; then arguing there was never an agreement. No more being treated poorly and feeling like the owners don't care about you after getting your money.
We were not coming back, but took a chance and were pleased.
Hassid, the young man running the motel is very nice and accomodating.
Pool is in the sun all day, there is a short walk to the beach. Clean rooms with kitchens.
Construction is nearly complete across the street and it is a nice quiet stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My husband and i stayed at the Sunrise motel in early may, it was so close to the beach, the rooms are really cute and very clean. Hammid at the front desk was friendly and accomodating. The room we stayed had a kitchen and was right in front of the beautiful heated pool, which also has an area to grill right beside it. I was one of the best nights we've had yet. Frenchy's bar grill is one block away,,, what more can you ask for?
As far as the construction nearby.... we were having to much fun to notice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

As of June of 2008 there are new owners so Im not sure how the place will be run now. I have stayed at Sunrise for maybe 6-8 yrs in a row. The pool area is wonderful, sun all day long. I have to admit that the hotel is older but I am not in my room except to sleep. The beds are okay most rooms only have double beds. I have read reviews about the owners being rude. Well like some one else said maybe its the way you come across also. The owners prior to June of 2008 were very nice people and while there are rules I feel its needed to keep it a nice small resort that it is. I did not have any problem ever with the owners--all of the staff was wonderful. If your looking for a Resort then the Sunrise is not for you. Its old but clean and I have never seen one bug ever in the years I ever stayed there. If you would like there are a few rooms facing the pool area that have recently been remodled (kitchen area mostly). Sunrise is now run by the actual owners so like i said im not sure if the rates have changed or if there has been any renovations. I hear they painted the place a horrilbe color but have not been there yet in 2009. While you do have to walk a little farther to the beach now because of the high rise being built. It is not that far--in the long run it will be beautiful after the construction is completed. The South end of the beach is nicer so i like being in that area. As far as im concerned you wont find a nicer pool.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2008

HUGE building w/3 cranes in your "view", very loud. Had a jackhammer working yesterday on the road. Obviously a service road because main drag has nothing of the sort. Have to walk about 3 blocks to get to the beach, like most "hotels" in the area that are not on the beach. We made a reservation on the phone, got a good rate, got to the hotel & were baited & switched. Over the phone we TOLD the guy that we had 3 adults & 1 infant, he wrote down 2 adults. The lady (if you can call her that, she is just plain RUDE) ran our card for the full amount then asked how many. After we mentioned we had a teenager with us, she grabbed for my husband's cc and proceeded to tell us we'd have to pay an additional $10 per night. When we protested she just got even more evil. We got a refund (lost our deposit but it was worth it) and went down the street to a much newer & nicer place without the construction and with a GREAT view of the gulf. Shorter walk to the beach too. DO NOT waste your time or money staying in this old hotel where the staff do not understand honesty or customer service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Justatouristlikeyou