“The time has come to move on....”

Sunrise Resort Motel South
Ranked #82 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
moncton
“The time has come to move on....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2006

This was our 4th year in a row to the Sunrise South and will be our last. We were informed that most of the Street construction would be wrapped up by the end of April out in front and to the south of us but as most projects go we were right in the middle of it. The Motel has been sold to developers and then leased back to Gunnar and Monica. The Motel was under a new general manager husbad and wife team of Jim and Betsy who were handcuffed by the do not fix and repair order from the owners. For this reason and others that I will not get into they quit when we were there. The destruction of Clearwater beach is well uderway with most of the small mom and pop motels being torn down and massive condo projects being erected in there place. Room 24 at the Sunrise looks out over Coronado Drive and a Direct view of the gulf of Mexico and the Construction. In your site line soon will be A 15 Story 250 room condo and to it's right a 17 Story 350 room condo. My advice to anyone heading to this area of Clearwater beach is to be very informed and do your research. there is almost 60 projects either being completed, started or about to be started in this area. Most small motels have told me that there taxes or there assestments have been doubled to the point that they are being forced to sell there property. This is not only going on in Clearwater Beach but right up the coast to St.Petes beach. For this review I have gotten off on a bit of a rant.....but I hope this helps you in making an informed choice

• Stayed May 2006
14 Thank mabiekim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2006

I stayed at the Sunrise Resort Motel In Clearwater Beach on Coranado Drive this past weekend and what a Dump this place is. The Hotel is very old upon check up I was told there is a plunger at the far end of the hotel because the toilets tend to clog. The last thing I want to do on Vacation is be plunging a toilet but I said to myself hopefully this won't happen. When I entered my Room it was stale smelling and the furniture smelled as if some big sweaty guy had been laying there for a week with out shower. The Decor was from the 70's and had seen better days. The Tooth Brush Holder was broken the tile in the bathroom was hanging from the ceiling and there was some water damage noticeable on the walls possibly from the rooms upstairs maybe a leak? but I figured I am a pretty accomdating person so I would make do and just spend most of the time out of the room. The have no vending machines, no soda , no snacks. The do have a Water Bubbler where for 35 cents you can get spring water but to buy the mug to put it in cost 60 cents not a bad deal but the water comes out hot and you have to put it in a fridge for a few hours before it is cold. The pool was nice , clean but that was the only thing at this hotel that was clean. The Managmet pride themselves on this place being clean but I saw lots of spider webs , dust, mold. The only thing clean here is the pool. I would never stay here again. I would recommend to any one to stay at Barefoot Bay Resort extremely clean small rooms but so clean and the staff is so friendly.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member