“bad Bad BAD”

Sunrise Resort Motel South
Ranked #86 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Pretty bad only one air conditioner. Dirty plates spoons knives forks. Horrible beds.Window in bedroom lookout to a wall. Maid never came till we left. Never going there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank TheHotelFinder

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Where to start....We stayed in room 18.
Front desk girl wasn't very friendly and impatient. We had to track her down from her upstairs apartment several times. She could use some customer service training to be sure. When we go to the room, it was very old (extremely!) and smelled musty. I didn't mind the old TV really, it worked and that's all that mattered there. The couch was old and dirty. The amenities were nice such as the fridge and range/oven. Plenty of dishes and silverware which seemed to be maintained well. Beds were old and spongy, not very supportive. AC worked well but was a little loud. Windows did not close all the way, we had to stick towels in the crevices to keep the cool air in and the noises out. The shower was awful. Water temp fluctuated often and the tub didn't drain while taking a shower. Most of the light fixtures and outlets didn't work. The carpet was so dirty my feet were black from walking on it. The internet was spotty at best and didn't work for the majority of the stay. The highlight of this property is the pool which was relatively clean and the water nice and warm. The option to grill was nice, but only one of the gas grills actually worked; the one was out of propane and the other (which we ended up using) was filled with charcoal ash - obviously no maintenance done to this otherwise I wouldn't have found charcoal in a gas grill! It worked fine once I cleaned it out - but annoying none the less. There was a small charcoal grill there that we didn't use. The option to bring a cabana for free is somewhat misleading. They require a $20.00 deposit and want it upfront in cash. I told them to put it on my room and after a short reluctant pause they agreed.
Overall I would not recommend this dump to anyone. Its in a convenient location and some unique amenities are found, but next time we will spend more for a nicer hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lower level to avoid having to walk up and down stairs!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Have been staying here for over 20 years on vacation. Still worth it.
Is this place older? yes.
But why would u pay top dollar to stay at a ritzy place for a room u will only sleep in?
You come to Clearwater Beach for the sun & the beach!!!
Stay here for affordable CLEAN rooms not to mention the biggest pool around compared to all the other mom & pop places.
Short walk to store, beach, restaurants .
Im coming back later this year too

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank cl57
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Motel located on the main drag of Clearwater- What about the pool? Very cool.

Bay area view inside the pool? awesome. Rooms? Well it's not the Ritz but the price is 75% cheaper.

Beach? Three minute walk across the beach.

Surf shop (Wal-Mart of Clearwater), across the street.

Restaurants? 20 second walk or 5 minutes for Crabby Bills.

Memorable Experiences? priceless..........

I almost hesitated to write this review, I think I'm giving away a big secret. Well, I am.

Your welcome!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DVD1972
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We made the decision to make a short trip to Clearwater Beach for a night to see the Aquarium and Busch Gardens. I almost always reserve in advance but this time I figured we'd just find something when we got there. We have stayed in Clearwater many times and have a couple of favorites we usually stay at. Upon arrival at the beach, I saw Sunrise Resort. We had stayed here once years ago and remembered it as being a good choice. I figured I'd check it out before going to our usual motels down the street. No one was in the office but I called the number and within 2 minutes someone showed up. She was very pleasant and offered me a room for $50.00. I said this was a better deal than down the street. I took the room and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a suite with a kitchen and separate living area with sleeper sofa. There are some small maitenence issues in the room but with the price paid, I can overlook that. Overall, very pleased and have added this place to our lodging list on Clearwater Beach.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SmokiesBrynn
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Sunrise Resort is a very clean and affordable get-away for myself and my family. It is an older building but the rooms have been updated and are kept extremely clean. They have a huge heated pool that my kids loved. The Hotel is only a 1 minute walk to the beach. They have breathtaking views of the Gulf as well as the bay on the back side of the Hotel. Very enjoyable stay will be booking here again next year for our family get-away! :)

Room Tip: The pool building on the 2nd floor has breathtaking views of the bay.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Shane M
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just got back from Clearwater after staying for 7 days. This place was really run down and totally different from the last time we stayed. HOWEVER, the staff was extremly friendly and helpful. I asked for the television to be fixed (only 6 channels) and about 15 minutes later we had a NEW television. I spoke with what I assumed was the owner and was told that they were going to be renovating the entire place. If they would update everything, I may come back. The pool was clear, but there was lots of green stuff growing in it. I guess you get what you pay for. AGAIN, the staff was extremly pleasant and tried very hard to please everyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family