“nightmare”

Ranked #84 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
midwest
“nightmare”
Reviewed January 13, 2008

this resort is a prime example of misleading the public to what they are offering. What we saw and got when we arrived was nothing like the pictures on their web page, or the telephone calls in booking this. we were told our room would be in the main building, what we got was a room on top of a roof, with steep stairs to get to it. My husband could't make them, they knew he could't deal with many stairs as i had told them in a conversation. I was assured everything would be fine. Not so, we were forced to drive late at night to find another place. They offered no assistance. They promised to refund us, to date they have not, they will not return any phone calls, respond to any letters. To all travelers be careful of glowing pictures, do your home work, there are some very dishonset people out there. We would never recommend this place after the way we were treated, or return to clearwater.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank lctagatz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Warsaw Indiana
Reviewed October 5, 2007

We stayed at the Sunrise Sept. 28 - Oct. 1. 2007
The staff was friendly and helped us arrange ground transportation from the Clearwater Airport. AAA+ Transportation was on time and friendly.
The rooms were exactly like the photos on their web site.
The hotel is older but was in good shape and the grounds were immaculate.
There were 11 of us in 6 different rooms. All of the rooms were clean and had at least a microwave and refrigerator. Some had kitchens.
You can see the sunrise over the bay in the morning from the pool area.
Britt’s Laguna Grill is across the street and had great food and drinks.
We had a ball on the Pirate Cruise (Drinks are included)
There is a lot of construction going on but it did not bother us.
There was a small convenience store just north of the motel.

• Liked — The location & pool
  • Disliked — Constuction in the area
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beachbum2707
neveragainClearwater, Manager at Sunrise Resort Motel South, responded to this review, December 19, 2007
Thank you so much. We are truly glad that you enjoyed your vacation. We hope that you will come back and see us.
Pikesville
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I was very scared about staying at this hotel, my room had 3 locks and only 1 that worked. The air conditioner cover fell on me while I was in bed and sounded like a Harley Davidson. I had to turn it off and then was hot all night. There is construction going on across the street and the free internet service was a joke. I traveled from one side of the property to the other and could not log onto the net. The front desk girl was very helpful. Pier 60 is a joke, it cost .50 cents to see fishermen and scrawny pelicans with hooks in there back, it almost made me cry. I was so happy to leave. Frenchy’s is near by and the fish was fresh. I loved my meal. Skip this place if you can, spend the extra dollars

• Liked — close to the beach
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Baltimore30

Travelers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We just returned from Sunrise Resort Hotel South, and we did get what we paid for. If you expect to stay in a beach community for under $100 during a holiday (4th of July), then you are not going to have the best accommodations. The room was very clean with good air conditioning and no sign of bugs, but the bathroom was terribly disappointing. The tub drain was clogged from previous use by other guests, the water pressure was minimal, and the hot water was very unreliable. Most importantly, I learned the hard way that one of the maids will go through your belongings and if she finds anything to her liking, she will steal from you. There is a secure safe in the room, and in retrospect, I should have paid the dollar per day charge to use it. I always secure my valuables, but it did not occur to me that I should secure EVERYTHING I care about. I left a small pouch of smoking tobacco and a lovely Italian pipe behind when I went on a day trip only to find that it was missing upon my return! Please note: No smoking in the rooms for fear of a $100 fine, but they do make it convenient to smoke outside. I did not report the theft because the rooms are not all that secure and there are times when both management and the owners are off the property. It was a sentimental loss only, so I didn't want to risk any late night repercussions because I reported the theft. Having said all that, I must say that the guests were lovely, and everyone followed all of the MANY RULES posted by the owners. It was a quiet and friendly place despite the close proximity to the streets and the construction.

• Liked — Other guests
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jrmtsu
chicago
Reviewed June 29, 2007

If you plan on staying at the South Sunrise resort be careful! You don't know when the hot water will come on yet alone stay on. When we told the owners all they said was "we don't know whats wrong". When we first checked the room we said it looks kind off old. There response was "Its a 50-60- mom and pop kinda place. How about cleaning it a little better (mold and dirt under the sink). When we asked for 2 extra bath towels because the ones they gave you are so small you think we were asking for the world ! In there ad it said they are only 86 feet from the beach they are actually 250 feet becasue the beach starts at the water not the east side of the parking lot.

Missouri
Reviewed June 25, 2007

I stayed at the property this month and I have to say for the money I paid, I could have stayed somewhere nicer. I was told upon check in that they misquoted me my price for staying which I had the emails in hand and said that I had to pay an additional 160.00 approx. to stay, I adv them that we had emailed back and forth continually and that they knew who I had with me, after driving 20 hours to get there, and a major volleyball tournament going on, they would refund me my money and I could go elsewhere!! After driving 20 hours and a fiance and 4 teens, I did not see that being an option.
Also while we were there, it is up to you to get the towels out and pull your own trash, if you miss it, you wont get any clean linens, and I was told that you dont get clean sheets except once per week,and I stripped my bed and got a call from the manager, she said that it will be 15.00 for clean sheets, I told her to bring my dirty ones back, needless to say they did not charge me for the sheets.Overall I would not ever stay there again, I did not see that it was a good value for the money. I would have paid a little bit more and got a much better environment. I just want to say that the rudeness of management and the owners did not ruin my vacation, just will not be back!!

• Liked — rooms were ok
  • Disliked — rudeness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank probe30
Garland, TX
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Our Clearwater Beach vacation was one of our most enjoyable vacations ever. The sunsets were indeed, magnificent! The festivities at the Pier are family oriented with music, things to do for the kids, performers. Vendors line the pier selling all sorts of crafty goods.

We stayed at Sunrise Resort Motel -South at Clearwater Beach two years ago and decided to return in 07 ! An older Motel but clean and the prices are very affordable if your on a budget. Our room was a large efficiency complete with mini kitchen. A dip in their clean swimming pool is refreshing after a day of siteseeing.

It is only a block from the beach and short walk to the Pier festivities and to the marina where the boat tours depart. Restaurants are nearby for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner.

We drove over the the St Petersburg Pier where there is a mini shopping mall on the water.

I hope our visit this year is as memorable as the last.

2 Thank Lotidah