“Good choice at the last minute”

Sunrise Resort Motel South
Ranked #82 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Orlando, Florida
“Good choice at the last minute”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

We made the decision to make a short trip to Clearwater Beach for a night to see the Aquarium and Busch Gardens. I almost always reserve in advance but this time I figured we'd just find something when we got there. We have stayed in Clearwater many times and have a couple of favorites we usually stay at. Upon arrival at the beach, I saw Sunrise Resort. We had stayed here once years ago and remembered it as being a good choice. I figured I'd check it out before going to our usual motels down the street. No one was in the office but I called the number and within 2 minutes someone showed up. She was very pleasant and offered me a room for $50.00. I said this was a better deal than down the street. I took the room and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a suite with a kitchen and separate living area with sleeper sofa. There are some small maitenence issues in the room but with the price paid, I can overlook that. Overall, very pleased and have added this place to our lodging list on Clearwater Beach.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SmokiesBrynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Sunrise Resort is a very clean and affordable get-away for myself and my family. It is an older building but the rooms have been updated and are kept extremely clean. They have a huge heated pool that my kids loved. The Hotel is only a 1 minute walk to the beach. They have breathtaking views of the Gulf as well as the bay on the back side of the Hotel. Very enjoyable stay will be booking here again next year for our family get-away! :)

Room Tip: The pool building on the 2nd floor has breathtaking views of the bay.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Shane M
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just got back from Clearwater after staying for 7 days. This place was really run down and totally different from the last time we stayed. HOWEVER, the staff was extremly friendly and helpful. I asked for the television to be fixed (only 6 channels) and about 15 minutes later we had a NEW television. I spoke with what I assumed was the owner and was told that they were going to be renovating the entire place. If they would update everything, I may come back. The pool was clear, but there was lots of green stuff growing in it. I guess you get what you pay for. AGAIN, the staff was extremly pleasant and tried very hard to please everyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BACC-2011
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

This place was nothing like the reviews I read. We had room 10 half the stuff did not work. The bath room tub faucet could not be shut off it ran all the time at a slow rate. The hot water in the sink was shut down. electrical outlets were out could not use the lap top computer not enough outlets that worked. 1/2 the burners on the stove were out. I made a complaint to manager about the room nothing was ever resolved they just smiled and said ok we will check into it. They never did. The last night of our stay the old air conditioning unit burned up the room smelled like burnt rubber. Oh yes and the smoke dectors never went off. I will be making a complaint to the clearwater fire dept or who ever I need to because this was unsafe. I will never again rent from these people again. If i were you I would look else where for your own safety this was a rip off I even made a list and gave it to management of all that was wrong. When I left and told them I will be lodging a formal complaint against them.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank friendsofTampa
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

This place was awesome. Nice little home away from home. Very clean and very close to the beach! We were able to walk just about anyplace.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pnsmosher
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

Is this the place for you? Not if you want any hint of luxury or modern amenities. This is an older 50s style motel that gets minimal maintenance. In my room, everything was clean and working, but it's very old and looks it. Free wi-fi but marginal signal. Thin cheap towels, old tile floors and bath, cheap linens, basic TV and kitchenette. But the manager is so polite, the pool is nice and well maintained, the noise level is low for this area where drunken spring break kids are notorious. It's a good value. I came for spring training baseball and it suited me fine. If you bring a lady with you, get out of this Redneck Riviera (south Clearwater Beach) to something nicer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

My girlfriend & I found this little place on a whim.(2009) We rode into town looking for a cheap place near the beach. Ahmed at the front desk gave us a great deal. The large, very clean pool is heated (really warm!?) and it's literally across the street from the beach. Yes, at the time, across the street as a huge hotel was going in, but who cares. there was construction, It' s done now. For the price you pay here you can't walk in expecting brand new everything. It's older, but it's kept nicely. it reminds me of a cottage. The room was cleaned every day, unless we refused. There is a full fridge and oven, utensils, coffee maker, plates, etc. Everything you'd need. As I said I came with a girlfriend in Aug. 09. We had a blast. Spent the week on the beach. Literally a walk across the street, right by the Pier! Location is crazy good. I brought my three young kids (4,6&8)back the following march '10 with two of my neices (25 & 17) and we also had a blast, and a great cheap price. There is a shuttle that takes you down the street, (bars, stores, souveniers) as well as to a grocery store and back. I cam back yet again with three girlfriends, and I am planning a trip with my kids now 5, 7 & 9, my two sisters, & my 2 neices & their friend this March as well,and I am so pumped to go back. I have stayed in very high end hotels on some vacations, and this is not that type of place, but it is small, the management is helpful and kind. If you ask for something they will do their best to accomodate you. Although it is older, it is clean and well kept. The pool is incredible, my kids love to be in it, and the location to the beach is perfect. There is free WIFI in the rooms, which was great for us to stop & relax in room when we wanted to. It's about a block from Crabby Bill's restaurant (yum) and a shuttle takes you to and from bars, clothing stores, further down the beach, to the grocery, where you can stock your fridge for the week and save on dining out if you like. you are very near attractions, the pirate ship & dolfin tours (1/2 a block?) Two doors down there is a little convenience store where prices are high, but they are nice and in a pinch if you need something, you may find it there. Excellent place. I will keep going back , bringing more people, and promoting this place as long as they keep giving me such great prices for my beach vacations! Thank you Sunrise! See you in March. :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family