“Caution”

Sunrise Resort Motel South
Ranked #86 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This place was nothing like the reviews I read. We had room 10 half the stuff did not work. The bath room tub faucet could not be shut off it ran all the time at a slow rate. The hot water in the sink was shut down. electrical outlets were out could not use the lap top computer not enough outlets that worked. 1/2 the burners on the stove were out. I made a complaint to manager about the room nothing was ever resolved they just smiled and said ok we will check into it. They never did. The last night of our stay the old air conditioning unit burned up the room smelled like burnt rubber. Oh yes and the smoke dectors never went off. I will be making a complaint to the clearwater fire dept or who ever I need to because this was unsafe. I will never again rent from these people again. If i were you I would look else where for your own safety this was a rip off I even made a list and gave it to management of all that was wrong. When I left and told them I will be lodging a formal complaint against them.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank friendsofTampa
There are newer reviews for Sunrise Resort Motel South

Reviewed March 29, 2011

This place was awesome. Nice little home away from home. Very clean and very close to the beach! We were able to walk just about anyplace.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pnsmosher
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Is this the place for you? Not if you want any hint of luxury or modern amenities. This is an older 50s style motel that gets minimal maintenance. In my room, everything was clean and working, but it's very old and looks it. Free wi-fi but marginal signal. Thin cheap towels, old tile floors and bath, cheap linens, basic TV and kitchenette. But the manager is so polite, the pool is nice and well maintained, the noise level is low for this area where drunken spring break kids are notorious. It's a good value. I came for spring training baseball and it suited me fine. If you bring a lady with you, get out of this Redneck Riviera (south Clearwater Beach) to something nicer.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My girlfriend & I found this little place on a whim.(2009) We rode into town looking for a cheap place near the beach. Ahmed at the front desk gave us a great deal. The large, very clean pool is heated (really warm!?) and it's literally across the street from the beach. Yes, at the time, across the street as a huge hotel was going in, but who cares. there was construction, It' s done now. For the price you pay here you can't walk in expecting brand new everything. It's older, but it's kept nicely. it reminds me of a cottage. The room was cleaned every day, unless we refused. There is a full fridge and oven, utensils, coffee maker, plates, etc. Everything you'd need. As I said I came with a girlfriend in Aug. 09. We had a blast. Spent the week on the beach. Literally a walk across the street, right by the Pier! Location is crazy good. I brought my three young kids (4,6&8)back the following march '10 with two of my neices (25 & 17) and we also had a blast, and a great cheap price. There is a shuttle that takes you down the street, (bars, stores, souveniers) as well as to a grocery store and back. I cam back yet again with three girlfriends, and I am planning a trip with my kids now 5, 7 & 9, my two sisters, & my 2 neices & their friend this March as well,and I am so pumped to go back. I have stayed in very high end hotels on some vacations, and this is not that type of place, but it is small, the management is helpful and kind. If you ask for something they will do their best to accomodate you. Although it is older, it is clean and well kept. The pool is incredible, my kids love to be in it, and the location to the beach is perfect. There is free WIFI in the rooms, which was great for us to stop & relax in room when we wanted to. It's about a block from Crabby Bill's restaurant (yum) and a shuttle takes you to and from bars, clothing stores, further down the beach, to the grocery, where you can stock your fridge for the week and save on dining out if you like. you are very near attractions, the pirate ship & dolfin tours (1/2 a block?) Two doors down there is a little convenience store where prices are high, but they are nice and in a pinch if you need something, you may find it there. Excellent place. I will keep going back , bringing more people, and promoting this place as long as they keep giving me such great prices for my beach vacations! Thank you Sunrise! See you in March. :)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I called a month before my trip and asked prices and was given a wonderful price. I asked to make a reservation and was told by the manager, I didn't need to make one, they had plenty of rooms. When I showed up, he said the price I was quote was not one that could have been quoted. I found out later, there was a volleyball tournament in town. Needless to say, I paid more for my room (at another hotel) than quoted but I refused to pay more to them. Bait and switch. Make a reservation and get a confirmation number.
To be fair, the hotel may be wonderful, I didn't see any of it but the parking lot.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2010

the location is great is like a family hotel, Amed the Manager is very frendly and he is always trying to please the guesses and the most important thing is that I fell very secure. It is a great place to spend time as vacation and relax in a very nice enviroment., Of course I'm a regular guess in that hotel. And the best of all it has a full kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We have stayed at the sunrise too many times to remember, but it was always when monica and gunner owned it. this was our first stay with the new owner. The check in guy was great, the room was clean, not modern, with a very small older TV. the couch is the same sofa sleeper that has been there for years and we had to cover it with towels to feel clean sitting on it. the beds were old, but comfortable. it took about 15 to 20 minutes to get warm water in the shower. one day, the maid didn't show up, so we had no service. i can understand why she didn't come, we were the only ones staying at the entire hotel, as the weekend came, 2 others checked in. i'm not complaining though, because we had the entire HOT pool to ourselves and there was NO noise. the pool was as hot as some hotel's hot tubs. it had not been cleaned during our entire stay though. the SHORT walk to the best part of clearwater beach was about a minute. that is the best thing about the sunrise, the closeness of the beach and pier, where there is always entertainment and fun things to do. the hotel does not offer ANY amenities at all. no ice, unless you make it in your freezer. no snack machines. it does have beautiful grounds though. they had about 4 or 5 cabanas you could take to the beach and we had planned on doing this, but when we went to rent them, they told us they were no longer available. that was a bummer. the place has been freshly painted and our room had new tile floors which really brightened up the place. the manager and his assistant were extremely nice. if a pool and the ocean are your main agenda, stay here! if you're looking for luxury, go across the street at the new Hyatt for $269 a night (which, by the way, totally blocks the ocean view now). what a shame.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple