“Is it worth the headach?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clearwater
Frenchy's Oasis Motel
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Toronto, Canada
“Is it worth the headach?”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

stayed there with some friends recently. no computer confirmation on reservations,hard to get through on phone. lumped in as a group reservation, even though I book it myself, other people's credit cards charged, everyone was displaced on last night, apparently management lumped all the reservations to check out on the same day. blamed the fault on us, (not their problem?)
the hotel itself pristine! the staff other than being incompetent were nice. no real house keeping other than towels left at the door. 2 out of the 16 couples were compensated, but not the others? the owners should step up how they run the place, such a shame.

10 Thank ahahah_1_ahahah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

it looks cute and is funky but no real housekeeping for the cost. A room facing the water would have been better.The pool was fun and the beach is a short walk. The staff was disorganized with our larger groups bookings for a 4 night stay event. They should have comped some of the guests the last night due to the mess up and confusion and over booking on their part. Otherwise we had the place to ourselves for 3 days to party.

6 Thank sailorgal101
Jen C, Public Relations Manager at Frenchy's Oasis Motel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
This response is directed to the 4 reviews written from the wedding group that stayed with us this weekend. We deeply regret that the overall experience at the Oasis was not enjoyed by this group of guests, mostly due to reservation confusion and interaction with our staff. It’s unfortunate that because we wouldn't bend to requests for additional compensation, above what we already granted at check out, that we now see the threat of leaving negative comments online during our phone conversation come to fruition. Frenchy’s Corporate has spoken to the Oasis staff regarding the negative dealings you've described with them and are moving forward to ensure that in the event of any future incidents, it’s addressed with respect, professionalism and in the best interest of our guests’ experience. We pride ourselves on providing excellent, clean accommodations in a relaxing, intimate atmosphere that is unique from a standard full service hotel. Large group bookings often don’t lend themselves to that type of experience, as we've seen with the past few we've accommodated. We end up with damages to our property and a general lack of respect for the house rules (smoking in rooms, loud noise, etc.). Of course, we wish to continue to accommodate large groups that have something wonderful to celebrate, and will do our very best to ensure it’s a pleasurable and smooth process from the point of reserving the rooms, to checking out, and all the communication in between. We are still a relatively new property (coming up on our 3rd anniversary) and while it is not an excuse, we admit we are still learning as we go with every situation we encounter, and are using it to continue improving the guest experience as we strive for all around excellence. Thank you.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, joining a group of friends to celebrate a wedding nearby. The bride had selected Frenchy's Oasis as the place for us all to stay and had pre-reserved most of the rooms (we made our own reservations by phone). Our group occupied 15 of the 16 rooms for Friday and Saturday, then things went bad on Sunday.
I was concerned that the check-in process was excessively casual and incorrect: "the key's under your mat; I thought you were coming in late last night". I was excited to arrive after an early-morning flight so I just went with it - in retrospect, this was a mistake. We were very happy with the room and motel premises: big room with a balcony overlooking the harbor, cute retro decor touches that fit the location, nice pool.
We enjoyed our first 2 nights, but the problems came the morning after the wedding: the manager walked past several of us by the pool saying "I need you all to tell me who's staying and who's going: I have a lot of people coming in today." Alarmed, my wife and I, and 2 other friends went into the office. Our reservation was recorded wrong, and she insisted that we had to leave our room because new guests were coming. For some reason she would not change the new guests to another room and leave us in the room we were already in. Her manner during all this was defensive and annoyed, and she blamed the computer system and a former employee. She never apologized or acknowledged any inconvenience. We wound up moving in with a friend whose previous room-mate was flying out that Sunday. When my wife went to pay for our room, she was initially told we owed for 3 nights - we had only been there 2 at the time, and were packing to move into someone else's room. Once the adjustment was made, she then charged us the full high-season rate on their website, plus and extra $60 for arriving early (or something - it wasn't clear). We paid cash, and were not offered a receipt. Perhaps it was naive to assume that with a group so large, we would be given a rate less than $149 a night.... Honestly, we were so stunned by the massive screw-up and the attitude of the manager that we just concluded our business and hurried to get ready for the day-trip we'd planned.
By the way, the first floor room we moved into was much noisier than our previous second-floor room, and the terrace was much less private and smelled like fish guts due it's proximity to the harbor. (I did enjoy the visiting egret though.)
It's so sad that this incident marred what was otherwise a wonderful weekend. The bride and groom felt terrible that their guests were treated this way, and they had to leave the motel a day earlier than planned. We personally spent close to $1000 between the motel and several meals at other Frenchy's properties, but did not leave feeling like our business was appreciated due the the motel fiasco. Regrettably, we were so upset by the experience that we neglected to leave tips for the room-cleaning staff - something we never do. I strongly suggest that the management pay the employees working May 5-6 a bonus out of the mystery fee we were charged.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms seem quieter. Try to get some distance from the harbor.
7 Thank 2Beavers
canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Upon arrival at 7pm the hotel itself looked cute and kitschy , but as I went to the office to check in my opinion changed. The office was closed and no one was answering the number listed outside the office, I was part of a wedding group booking so one of my friends that already had a room kindly offered to hold my luggage and let us use their facilities while I waited around for someone to check us in. Eventually an hour later the "manager" called my cel and said unapologetically that my room keys were under a mat and that she thought I would figure it out on my own. Not impressed, once finally inside our room we saw that we had been switched to a queen room after specifically booking and paying for a king room.
The next day at noon I went to the office to ask to use and iron and board for our clothes as we had a wedding to attend and there was no one there yet again. Some random neighbor said they would call the "manager" and see if she could help. No response, so I had to go digging around in a hallway maid's closet to one an iron myself so I did not have to wear a wrinkly dress to a wedding!
Upon check out the "manager" was in the middle of a melt down about some guests "screwing up" their reservations and "it not being her fault", which I found questionable based my own experience with her. The hotel was cute but the management and service was horrendous and I will never go back.
I cannot imagine why this "manager" even works in the hospitality business , unless she was part of job placement program from the local prison or rehab center, and in that case she should not have been doing any kind of customer service, maybe cleaning or laundry service would have been a more appropriate placement for someone with this "manager's" unpleasant disposition.

10 Thank quelaura
Reviewed May 15, 2013

When we woke on our 4th morning we were told that we had to get out because new people were moving into our rooms...totally a booking problem (confirming our rooms from day one was a nightmare, excuses about computer problems and whatnot). Then I heard from my credit card company that I was charged twice...3 more days on the phone trying to sort that out and yet Frenchy's did nothing to compensate us. They are charging 4 star prices for 2 star service. You're better off at another hotel that actually cares about their guests if you want to ensure a stress-free vacation.

6 Thank KTel416
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The staff is friendly, the place is spotless. Save yourself $200+ a night over the Hilton and walk the block to the beach. The room looked (and smelled) brand new even though it's a few years old now. Linens were surprisingly nicer than expected. There's a Keurig down in the lounge stocked with coffees even though there's a full sized maker in your room... Being the only one in my group who drank coffee that made my mornings. The lounge is also stocked with DVDs which might come in handy on a rainy day. There are restaurants and shops within walking distance. Chairs, towels, sand toys and umbrellas to borrow for the beach at your disposal, too. The only thing I missed was a soda machine on premises. I'll definitely choose Frenchy's the next time I stay in Clearwater.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Czechers1979
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Frenchy's Oasis Motel continues the tradition of great service that personifies the Frenchy's name. Manager Leann was friendly and helpful. The motel itself was spotless and was in a great location. Previously we have always stayed at the Hilton, but no more. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 10 overlooking the water. We saw dolphins from our private balcony!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple