“Not a bargain*filthy and rude*”

Hotel Cabana Clearwater Beach
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Gulfport, Florida
“Not a bargain*filthy and rude*”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here with my family for a last minute end of summer getaway and was so disappointed. I actually changed hotels in the middle of the week. When we checked in we noticed a thick layer of dust on the furniture and floor. While I don't mind the room looking dated, I do mind the room being dirty. The location is okay. It is near the beach but the area is a bit run down looking. The area closer to the pier is nicer and more appropriate for vacationers and families. The wifi was hit or miss. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. When I asked about it at the desk, the lady was rude and had a "so what" attitude (I think her name was Sheila?). She acted as if I was bothering her. Also, I have never stayed in a hotel that was "BYOTP" (bring your own toilet paper!). Their website advertises "fully equipped kitchens". Not really. The dishes were odd/mismatched as if they were found at garage sales and the utensils had bits of food stuck to them. GROSS! In fact, the entire place (I would not call it a "resort") looked like it was furnished using garage sales. Even the chairs by the pool had the name of another resort on them! All in all we were very disappointed. There are many mom and pop motels in this area that are similar in price but still clean and friendly. We will know next time...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank beachlife727
Mark669Beach, Manager at Hotel Cabana Clearwater Beach, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your response. We are the new managers for the North Sunrise Motel replacing the staff you mentioned in your comments. Our immediate attention is being given to the details you spoke about, with customer service and clean rooms being our top priorities. We regret your dealings with the prior management and hope you will give us a second chance. Making our guests feel welcome and comfortable is our goal. We hope to see you again soon.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Lanskroun, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in North Sunrise on 29th-31st august 2013 (me with my fiancee, my parents, and my sister with her boyfriend). Booked a suite for 6 people 2 months in advance, in june, but after seeing it (it was the one right next to the grills), me and my man decided to book another simple room extra for us, because the suite was missing the door between living room/kitchen and the first bedroom. Absolutely no problem, the guy (forgot the name, but he was wearing a moustache) was super helpfull, and even gave us a good deal. And you can ask for extra pool towels anytime.

The kitchenette at my family's suite was just fine, and the grills outside always ready (all the tools you can get from the reception, you only need coal and food, of course ;-).

The only thing that was a minus, was a cold water in the shower in our room. Tried in the evening, tried in the morning, still just cold! We stayed in a room just left when you go out of the reception, and my family didn't say anything about cold water, so maybe it was only there? Anyway, this was not a pleasure.

The swimming pool is very good, I liked that on one end it was over 6' deep. Also, if you are not noisy or hardcore partying, you can stay at the pool as long as you want to, that's nice.

Location is just perfect!!! A minute walk to the beach, a 5 minute one to the area with restaurants.

Had a great time, definitely would come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Silverwood, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed on night here while visiting Clearwater. It could use a little updating. The bathrooms are very small which made it hard to get ready quickly. Just my husband and I stayed in the room so we made it work. We did not spend much time in the room so I was tolerable of a lot of things I normally would not be if I was spending money on a room. It is in a very good location. You can see the water from the upper deck chairs. It was nice to be able to walk to local bars and not have to drive home that evening.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Loved this little motel just a block off Clearwater Beach. The room & bathroom were tiny - but the bed & pillows were comfy and we didn't come here to sit in the room anyhow. The pool was very nice. The walk to the beach was a short one. The walk to the shops was also a short one. Very good location away from some of the hustle and bustle. This really is a family motel.

At a very reasonable price, especially considering the location, I would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JWminnesota
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After big "winnings" at a yard sale this past Saturday, we decided to use the money for a fun kid-free night at the beach. Every hotel was sold out! I started calling motels that I found on the map and the North Sunrise had one room left.

For under $100, this was an amazing find! We'll definitely be back, hopefully with a room up front because from the corner rooms you can see the Gulf of Mexico and there are nice big rockers on the upper deck to enjoy a lazy afternoon.

This is 1/2 mile north of the main strip of shops and restaurants so it's definitely within walking distance and you probably won't find parking any closer anyway, but if you have little ones or elderly people with you who have trouble walking, this is not right in the thick of the action. You can hop the trolley or get one of those bike cart guys to give you a lift if the timing is right and you can catch one. The bike carts are free but they work on tips.

The room we got was really BIG! Full kitchenette and fridge. Very tiny bathroom but that's OK for me. It was clean. The bed was very comfy and the linens were very soft and of a nice quality, not the scratchy cheap stuff you would expect from a value motel. The staff was very nice. Because it's a small motel, you won't get the amenities of big hotel stays, but then you also aren't paying the ridiculous fees either.

This was a great little place for a last minute beach overnight trip. We will be back, and you could easily stay here a few days especially with the kitchenette option.

Room Tip: Upstairs corner rooms have a view of the Gulf (limited, but still a view).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sollycat
Eagle River, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We booked this hotel strictly on price for Spring Break. Why pay more if all you are going to do is lay on the beach. This hotel is older, and yes the bathrooms are small. But you can not beat the location or cleanliness of the rooms, no musty Florida smells that are so common in some of these types of older hotels and at the end of the strip so it was very quiet. The owners have done many improvements to the property. Our two room suite had new paint and laminate flooring, very nice for sandy feet. We were on the road side of the property and actually preferred it. The sun wasn't beating into our room all afternoon. When anything was needed by our group the front desk or house keeping staff were very prompt to help us. When we asked for more towels, we were given an entire laundry basket full. True we had issues hooking up to the internet, but then I sometimes have those same problems when I stay at Hilton's and Marriott's, so go figure? I would stay here again in a heartbeat if you want a good clean room to enjoy the beach which was less than a block away. I hope these types of motels are never taken over by the "chains" what a loss that would be to people looking for value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Betsey P
Clearwater, Fl
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is across the street from the beach and conveniently located and the owners are quite friendly. The one & two bedroom apartments are quite comfortable and have the convenience of a kitchen. There is a free shuttle running up and down the beech (they work for tips) making it the perfect spot to enjoy Clearwater beach. We are looking forward to our return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends