“great value in Clearwater”

Pelican Pointe Hotel and Resort
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We booked this hotel based on the price and having read the good reviews. We were a price conscious group of 6 young people and the hotel's website let us book two connecting rooms as one unit. This was cheaper than booking two rooms separately. The hotel is in a quite residential location (about a 10 minute drive to the mall area with a wide selection of restaurants and also a 10 minute drive over to Clearwater Beach). All the staff we met were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and good sized as were the bathrooms. Would have liked to stay more than one night (just a side trip from Orlando) and definitely recommend this hotel. The included breakfast was basic but there was plenty to eat and the staff were constantly restocking all the items. Great place if you haven't got a beach front budget. All in all a great find.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank Sarahbeac1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed May 16, 2006

First off, I would like to say that Clearwater Beach, Florida is beautiful!

Pelican Pointe is situated right on the beach strip, and this proves to be an excellent location. Everything that you need while on your trip is within walking distance. I will not review some particulars.

Check in: My girlfriend and I booked through Expedia. When we went to check in, Joanne (the manager) notified us that there was not a booking under either of our names. I found this odd, but thought that there was likely a mistake made at some point during the booking. Joanne was very nice, and provided us with a guest parking pass, and allowed us to park on the premises, while she figured out what had gone wrong. She asked us to come back in half an hour or so. My girlfriend and I took a walk to the beach...it was amazing! Nice white sand, and clear blue/green water, very impressive. We then grabbed a pizza at a pizza place down the road and made our way back to the hotel. When we arrived back at the hotel, Joanne handed us the keys and we were off to our room, everything worked out fine. There was an error made on Expedia's side.

The Room: The room was very nice. We had a corner room which looked out towards the beach. There was one queen size bed, one couch, one chair, two dining chairs, and a table. Also, there was a mini kitichenette with a sink, cupboards, mini fridge, and a microwave. In addition, there was a tv, dresser, and alarm clock. Everything worked fine. The back of the remote, which holds the batteries was broken, but worked nonetheless. One night, around 3:00am, my girlfriend woke me up because she smelled something, and I started to smell it as well. I knew exactly what it was...the air condiontioner had frozen, and the fan was running quite hot. I went down to the front desk, and there was a lady who was very nice, who came up to our room and advised that we turn it off for the night and allow the ice to melt. We tried it the next day, and it worked fine.

The Beach: Unbelievable...truly amazing. Very respectable for being a public beach. Nice white sands, not too rocky/shelly. Overall, extremely impressive.

The City: Everyone in this small city seemed very nice, and we did not have a problem with any of them. Sometimes the drivers will cut you off and such, and maybe not signal, but that wasn' such a big deal. The drive in from the airport was beautiful, and very easy to follow the directions.

Dining: There were plenty of nice retaurants in and around the city, a couple nice pizza places, one which was on the beach, and also served ice cream, which was nice for a walk along the beach at night to cool off. There was also a nice Oriental Buffet along 60 West/East coming from/to Tampa. I believe it was a $6.00 lunch buffet and they had lots of selection, very good!

Overall, our stay at Pelican Pointe was a very positive experience. Being students, it was one of the best deals that we could afford, and we got a lot more than we ever expected.

Try not to dwell on the bad reviews, there are a lot of people who book reservations at these condo/motels and expect to be staying at a five star resort. Do not expect this. DO expect quality service, an impressive room, and an amazing time in Clearwater Beach!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2006
23  Thank PaulyRags
A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas NV
Reviewed May 1, 2006

After reading some of the other reviews, I was sceptical but decided to give it a shot. Along with the bad points already mention something very strange happened. We were sitiing outside of our room on the first floor when we were appoached by a member of the staff. We were chastized for getting face make up on a towel the night before and told that were were supposed to use the "rags provided". Sure enough she brought us a pile of ripped up, stringy old rags. I told her that I researched the hotel and where was this rule stated. She explained that it was posted in the elevator. At that time I pointed out that we were on the first floor, there was no need to enter the elevator to read the posting. She advised that if we "over used" the towles again (instead of appling a rag to my face) that I would be charged. The location was good but, I found this "resort" to be something of " rag" itself.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member