“Way better than what I imagined, very satisfied during my stay”

Pelican Pointe Hotel and Resort
Ranked #11 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Way better than what I imagined, very satisfied during my stay”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend over the New Year weekend for a little out of town getaway.

This older hotel was very well kept, fresh paint and the pool deck appeared updated as well. We did not swim, but the pool looked very clean and a few other guests seemed to enjoy it. Coin laundry, ice machine, and a couple vending machines were also available on site.

The view was nice, although it is not beachfront, it is right across the street and you can see the beach from the west facing rooms.

Our room in general was well kept and very clean on our arrival. It was decorated very nicely. We like our room cold so it was nice to have a easy to use climate control which was relatively quiet and chilled the room pretty quickly. Plenty of lighting choices to create whatever brightness you prefer. Rooms also have wireless internet access.

The bedroom area had a cable TV and phone. The bed was really comfortable along with the pillows. There was also a detached closet with hangars. Our room had a window on the opposite side of the hotel and it was nice to keep an eye on my vehicle.

The bathroom was small, but was clean and was modern. One thing I thought was cool was the body wash/shampoo dispensers attached to the wall of the shower/bathtub area. The sink area is outside the actual bathroom and had a soap dispenser. Plenty of body and hand towels.

Our room had a kitchenette complete with mini refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, sink, plates, silverware and plenty of storage. There was even a TV and couch in the kitchenette area, which was nice when my girlfriend wanted to watch shows I couldn't stand. There was also a small table with two chairs in front of the window in the Kitchenette area.

Outside, were also two chairs and a table in front of our room. It was sort of like a semi private balcony due to the wall that extends out a couple feet between each room. Other guests that walked by were all polite and said hello.

Although we did not have breakfast at the hotel, there was a small continental breakfast available every morning in the lobby with coffee, pastries, and juices.

Location was awesome. There are plenty of restaurants and beach shops within walking distance. Other than a trip to the mall a few miles away, we did not have to worry about driving or parking whatsoever. There is even a Walgreens down the street in case you forgot to pack something. The beach is directly across the street and Pier 60 is less than a 5 minute walk.

On a New Year weekend, it was much quieter than I expected and everything winded down around midnight, which is the hotel's noise curfew.

The staff was nice at check in and check out, and the maids cleaned up the room very nicely while we were out. Our rate was very fair considering the time of year, quality of service, and the amenities we received.

The best way I can describe this hotel compared to larger franchises is the difference between a home cooked meal and a TV dinner. This hotel was very unique and made us feel welcome. I will definitely return here during the summer or anytime I plan a trip to Clearwater beach.

I speak so highly of this place because I am a believer of small establishments that provide better service than the bigger chain hotels.

My only regret was not staying a couple extra days!

Room Tip: It is not a beachfront hotel, but is directly across the street. This is a L shaped hotel. If you ge...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ryan F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed over the Christmas Holiday 2011. Friendly helpful staff- Bud, Ashley, Kimberly, Jessica and Mike- thank you for your hospitality. Small, intimate 60's motel vibe currently having an exterior remodel (nice). Rooms clean and functional- close to everything on the beach.
Great experience- so glad we tried this instead of the "chain hotels"

Room Tip: Room 429- nice view and no walk by traffic!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
PelicanPointeMgmt, General Manager at Pelican Pointe Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2011
Thank you for spending the holiday with us. It was our pleasure serving you. I hope you can come again after our remodel is finished. It is going to look fantastic! I would also like to thank you for complimenting the staff and I will reward them for their efforts. It is our goal to provide you with a quality vacation experience at a value price. Have a wonderful new year! Hope to see you soon.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Nice location, friendly staff. Mortified first morning to find mold around bathtub, since both my wife and I are allergic to mold. Result, we couldn't shower! Spoke desk staff and were told would have matter rectified. But later same day found nothing done to remove mold. Again spoke evening shift desk clerk who pesonally came to room with cleaning materials and tried to remove it, but didn't work. She made written reprt to manager, but nothing done by late aternoon of third day. Spoke personally to facility manager who reported he had plumber on the premises. I had to suggest that grouting at tub surface be removed and replaced with fresh grout, which he found to be a brilliant idea. He had it done. We left ten days later, showered and refreshed by our vacation but with a bad taste in our mouth for Pelican Point. Sorry, but we won't be staying there again. Housekeeping staff seemed disinterested. We noticed that if no tip was not left for the housekeeping staff each day, the bed was only thrown together, instead of being re-made.That tip really made a world of difference.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
PelicanPointeMgmt, General Manager at Pelican Pointe Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
This is a difficult review to respond to since the guest stayed here 11 months ago. Since February 2011 we have remodeled the entire building and replaced the majority of the staff. I am confident that any issues that were present a year ago have all been properly addressed.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed with my wife and kids for 3 days for the 4th of July weekend 2011. Clean room, great service, friendly staff, pool for the family, close to restaurants and right in front of the beach. Definitely will stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Luism12lm
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We stayed in this hotel the week before Thanksgiving, which is a great time to visit Clearwater. This hotel was OK for the price. The pool was not heated, which was a big disappointed due to the ocean water being to cold to swim in. Our room was clean but a bit small for 2 people. The noise level is definitely a turn off, the doors to the rooms are very heavy and open and shut very loudly which makes it difficult to sleep when other visitors to the hotel are coming and going. All in all we probably will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
PelicanPointeMgmt, General Manager at Pelican Pointe Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. At the time of your visit we were preparing for major remodeling. This included work on the pool floor. Our pool is heated but due to the construction the heater was not functioning. We are also addressing the doors and installing a brand new locking system. The next time you are in Clearwater Beach you will see a brand new resort that is completely different including new exterior colors and landscaping. We will also continue to referbish our interiors for your comfort. I am sorry that you did not get the benefit of the completed project and hope that you would consider us again after we finish.
Islip, New York, United States
Reviewed December 6, 2011

The location is great, close enough to walk to everything. The trip to Clearwater was a birthday gift for a long time friend. We did a 4 day girls only trip (Yes, the guys stayed home) and not really knowing the area, made several trips to the front desk asking where we should go and what we should do. Jessica was wonderful. Always smiling and full of all the right answers. The only complaint we had was when we arrived, I dropped a bottle of water on the kitchen floor. I grabbed one of the bathroom towels to clean it up. Being that the towel was white, we saw exactly how dirty it was. It creeped us out a bit so we decided to wash all of the floors. Other then that, we had a wonderful stay and would definitely go back again. Carrie R

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carrie R
We are glad that you had a great time in Clearwater. I have rewarded the front desk associate for her performance and I thank you for including her in the review. I also passed along your concern about the floor to my housekeeping supervisor. Thank you for staying at Pelican Pointe and bring the boys next time.
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Ideal location, directly across the street from the beach and within walking distance to Pier 60, restauraunts and night life. The rooms are clean and spacious and offer a fridge and microwave. The staff was always pleasant and helpful. Housekeeping was very accomodating. This is a great deal for the money. I highly recommend this hotel and will return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family