“Below average motel”

Ranked #66 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Adelaide
“Below average motel”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked this motel as we wanted something cheaper than the hotels on the beachfront. We knew that it was a cheaper type motel and our expectations were set accordingly. We got there and got into the office to check in... it smelt really bad and the guy behind the counter (the owner i suspect) was not that friendly and had really bad English which made the check in process tedious. We then went to our room and it smelt musty like if it had not been aerated for months. We had a small kitchen as we wanted to cook some meals while there. We opened the kitchen cupboards and found 2 plates, 2 forks, 2 knives and 2 bowls of different sizes. There was no dishwashing liquid so who knows how we were meant to clean our dirty dishes and who knows if they were clean in the first place as the previous customer would have had the same problem.
The beds seemed clean and we slept well on them. The air con was fairly old and noisy but this didn't disturb us.
Breakfast was included in the price as stated on the booking website... well, i don't call this a breakfast. It was made up of packaged danish pastry (very average) and a coffee. There was no room to have breakfast in. In other words, don't tell your customers you'll get breakfast if it consists of 1 very average item
All in all, not a great experience and there are far better motels for the same price.

Room Tip: try another motel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EddieAdelaide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tournan-en-Brie, France
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed for only one night. When we entered the room, its smell hit us, a very strong smell of cleaning product. It is almost like if someone went sick in that room, or smoked (when it was a non-smoking one), and they tried to hide the smell with a lot of cleaning product.
I had a really hard time to sleep, and even opening all the windows didn't do anything. I woke up with a strong head-ache, and was really disappointed.
Other than that, the room was big and comfy, and even if the bathroom was a bit small, it was ok!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Efw28
Luray, Virginia
Reviewed March 9, 2013

i again stayed here for a couple of days for a swim meet at the nearby long center pool and i had a great time here. loved my clean, comfortable room and nice soft bed, where i slept well. loved the heated swim pool and jacuzzi, so nice, very clean and well maintained. the staff was very helpful making sure everything was fine. i highly recommend this motel. wish i was still there now.

Room Tip: non smoking rooms are the best both 1rst and 2nd floor rooms are great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MALCOLMSMOMLuray_va_
Lebanon, NJ
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night, by myself, and found the motel adequate and clean. However, I doubt that I would bring my family there. The office stinks of curry or some strange incense from some faraway land. The room was clean and had no such odors, but it is somewhat old and worn. As a single traveler, I have absolutely no complaints. Had a good night's sleep and hot shower, which is all I require. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: After smelling the office, I asked to see (and smell) my non-smoking room before committing. I defi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed two nights here on a business trip with my dad accompanying me. While I was away, dad watched the Phillies practice which was just over a mile walk away. The room was clean, but there was some evidence of past renters taking advantage such as the room being marked "No Smoking" but the nightstand having cigarette burns, but the room smelled fresh and clean. The staff was very helpful. The area is great, too. There is a Publix next door as well as a small restaurant, and ice cream shop and across the street are a couple of fast food places.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is our second year to stay at The Gulf Way Inn and we couldn't be happier. The owner (Victor) is very accomadating and friendly, clean rooms, beautiful pool. We will definately be back next year, we stay for six weeks.
Lloyd & Sandy W
Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Although the owners were friendly, my girlfriend and I did not enjoy our stay. The suite was big enough. But everything from the pillows to the cabinets even the mattress was stained. The beds were very firm. The pillows were too used. The "free wifi and breakfast" was a joke as well. None of our devices could pick up the signal for more than a few seconds. The free breakfast was acrually just a box of Walmart pastries. All in all it was not enjoyable and wouldn't recommend this place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joshua M

Travelers are raving about these Clearwater hotels