“Very Good Hotel”

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Very Good Hotel”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My company's home office is in Clearwater, Fl. I have stayed in this hotel well over 300 times in the past four years. I have never had a problem with the rooms or the service. Rooms have always been clean and the hotel staff has always been accommodating. In regards to the AprilDawn review, I have never seen any drugs or drug activity on the hotel grounds. I have stayed here many times and will continue staying there any time I am in Clearwater.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gator_fan38
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We arrived at the Gulfway Inn in Clearwater early in the morning (2:30 am approx) on Friday March 18th. We were tired from traveling, and went to sleep immediately. When we woke later in the morning, we were grossed out by gum stuck all over the headboard, dirty floors (some kind of metal screen was all over, and glass, which got my attention when it poked my bare feet).

We asked the hotel owner to have the room cleaned immediately, and instead of an apology, he was extremely rude to us. We had rehearsals and left and came back again late that night. There was not 'do not disturb' signs, so when the cleaning lady came in the morning, we told her 'NO' four different times - as we were still resting before our next rehearsal. She continued to pound on door. We opened the door and were forced to wake up and get out of bed. I asked for some garbage cans, as there were none in the room. We went somewhere else to sleep, as we were not allowed to get the needed rest.

After the concert on Saturday, we came back, again very late and tired. On Sunday morning, I got up to get some ice (for the first time) and opened the bucket to find it full of cigarette butts and drug paraphernalia (this is after two cleanings?). Upon opening the curtains, it became evident the walls, floors and doors had thick filth on them as well. There was trash behind the tv stand, and some kind of goo on the bathroom floor. It was just plain YUCKY.

I went to the owner and told him I was very disappointed in the lack of service, being kept from sleeping, not having adequate supplies in our room (there were only ever three towels the entire time because they were 'not cleaned yet') and now finding drug paraphernalia for the second time. Again, instead of trying to make me feel better, he yelled at me and called me names in front of other guests and told me that it was my trash in the ice bin as I had been in the hotel two days and just now found it. He then went right out the door in front of me to the housekeeping room and started screaming at them in a foreign language.

His wife then came out and started ranting at us and how they wanted us out, because other people would quickly rent the room. I asked then to kindly refund us for one night for our trouble, and they refused. We checked out immediately at that point, not staying for the fourth night as planned. To me, it would be the equivalent of ordering a steak at a steakhouse and getting a live rat on the plate in return. They could still charge your card, though you would never eat the thing.

The hotel appeared to be a quality establishment, and we surely paid the rates for it. We could have paid $28 a night if we wanted to stay somewhere there was drugs, bad service, get yelled at and actually have to go somewhere else to get any rest because of the hotel STAFF.

It's bad enough our children had to be exposed to the drug element and the awful treatment we suffered. We were charged for Thursday night (because it was 2:30 am), Friday night and Saturday night...a total of $308. They credited our card back for Sunday night (as we were long gone by then), thankfully. But did not give us the requested credit for not being able to properly use and rest in our room, which we had every right to expect.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank AprilDawn007

Travelers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Kirkham
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights "en route" from Sarasota to Kissimmee. All we wanted was a clean, cheap roof over our heads. What seemed to be cheap became dearer as the owner tried to amend the quoted prices - saying that the price was for a single room ??

We negotiated/bargained and agreed a price. An upper 2 bed room being cheaper that a downstairs King-size ?? We checked the room - to find ants in the bathroom and bedroom - UGH !! Also water was dripping in thru' the ceiling.

We got a surprised look from the owner - BUT got another room with no ants and no leak. We assumed that "you'd have to pay extra for ants and leaks ?????

The beds were clean, the room was passable - and as it was getting late - we stayed.

All in all - not the best experience !! The place is tatty and needs a lot of TLC. The owner obviously treats it purely as a revenue - NO INTEREST or CONCERN WHATSOEVER !!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple