“Good Value”

Ranked #28 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Uppsala, Sweden
“Good Value”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I went to Clearwater Beach with a couple of friends and we booked 2 rooms at this motel. The location was very good and it was close to the end of the beach area where we spent most of the weekend. The room I stayed in was fairly big and both beds and couch were comfortable. I think a cleaner bathroom would have made the impression even better though, since it looked just a bit dirty. It was also pretty quiet there and the road barely had any traffic. I didn't try the pool out, so I can't say much about it but it looked clean. When you are there the beach will most likely be of greater interest anyhow so I doubt it matters. A plus was that it didn't smell like smoke, as it so often does in older motels. Note that the check out is at 10 am, so it's a bit earlier than most places I'v been to.

One of the best things about this place is as indicated by others before me the owner and manager Joe, who really seemed to enjoy his job and take pride in the place. He was always around and could help us with whatever we were missing, which made the experience all the better. If this is the cheapest you can find I would definitely recommend it. I believe it's worth a visit. If I would ever come back to Clearwater Beach I'd most likely go back, if the price was right. And the beach really is close by, and a few nice restaurants with live music as well. So come try it out and have a great time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paulina K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Topsham, Maine
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We love this place!! First time guests back in August and we came back for more last week. Joe the on-site manager is THE BEST! Can't say enough about how great this little place is. Quiet, private, romantic, colorful, cozy, close to the beach, great pool.......
Highly recommend.
Thanks again Joe for a great week.
Jessica and Dale Sherlock

Room Tip: Get a room with a kitchen and save some money not eating out.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica S
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This a very small, quiet motel right by Clearwater beach. The room was tiny but clean. The shower had the strongest water pressure I've ever experienced.... I thought the shower head might blow off and hit me in the face! ;) We came for some relaxation by the pool and it was quiet, but the photos made it look more secluded than it actually is. There is a street running right next to the pool - which wasn't shown in the photos on the site we booked on. Oh well! At least the bed was comfy and the location was great.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank MermaidTears
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Me and 3 other of my friends recently visited Clearwater. We were left by another friend and Joe, the owner, let us stay there on such short notice at such a generous price. We all agreed the trip was perfect once we arrived at Amber Tides. Not only was the owner amazing, but the place itself was perfect. We were seconds from the beach and we even enjoyed the pool area a lot as well. It was a very quiet and relaxing place that none of us will ever forget. We are already planning our next vacation to Clearwater and there is no way we will stay anywhere but Amber Tides! Seriously, this place is amazing and completely made our trip the best it could possibly be.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank asparks9
WI
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My son and I rented a small efficiency and while it was small....it had everything we needed. The kitchen area had a fridge, microwave, stove and all the basic kitchen implements you could need (even a blender!).

The pools were nice as was the landscaping and grilling areas. Lots of areas outside to grill out and dine! Having the ability to cook/grill while on vacation saved us a ton of money!

The owner seemed very nice and while we were only 2 blocks from the beach--it was quiet where we were.

It's an older motel....but well kept and with charm you just don't find in a Holiday Inn Express or the like.

I'd definitely recommend for those looking for a relaxing beach vacation!

Room Tip: Pay the extra to upgrade to a efficiency--having the kitchen area will save you far more $$ than the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank succulenze
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I, along with my cousin and his girlfriend, stayed here last week for one night and had a blast. The hotel has two pools that are sparkling clean, a nice grilling area and comfortable rooms. It's your typical retro small beach hotel.
We arrived early, around 9am and Joe walked us to our room and on the way showed us the features of the property. I asked if there was another king room available for my cousin and he held the very last one until (without payment) they arrived and paid, even though people had called for it in between. Our room was $88/night after taxes and is a block from the beach and a block from Shephard's (for nightlife) and IHOP (for breakfast).
King room was a tad small and a little worn but it was clean with a flat screen TV and comfy bed. The only downside would be that the shower and shower curtain could use a little Tilex and grout cleaner. I don't know if I'd stay here for a week or anything, but for a quick cheap weekend away to the beach, this place definitely fit the bill.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LeeshaLJ
Corydon, Indiana
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Amber Tides from April 7th through the 13th. This place was a little slice of Heaven. The manager, Joe was a God Send. Not only was he a wonderful Host, he was also very knowledgeable about Clearwater Beach. He helped us find things to do each night and even printed out emails for me when I bought tickets online.
The first night there at around midnight, my husband put the cooler on our bed, not realizing that the breather was open at the bottom. I was quickly awakened by ice cold water running up my leg and back.. The whole bed was soaked. Even though we did not want to call Joe at such a late hour, we had to do something. Joe came quickly to our rescue with new blankets and sheets. Even though we flipped the mattress, it was still wet the next day. Joe then did something that no other manager had ever done for us. He upgraded us to an apartment with a dry bed for free for the remainder of our trip. The apartment came with a full kitchen and ended up saving us a bunch of money on food. Just to eat lunch on the beach was at cheapest $40.00 a day and that was just for lunch. Joe then gave us directions to the nearest grocery store and after shopping we decided to have a cook out on one of the many grills provided by the motel. We invited Joe, and he actually showed up. I do not know any other manager that would have excepted an invitation to a bar-b-que by their guests. It was a wonderful evening of fun and laughter.
Now let me tell you about the beauty that is Amber Tides. It is off the main stretch by only a few blocks, but you feel far away from the hustle of the pier and the many shops and restaurants and bars that again are with-in a couple block radius of the motel itself. ( I loved this because we could leave the car at the motel and walk everywhere, it saved gas and parking money. There is not a place on the beach that you can park for under $10.00 a day). The motel itself is shrouded in beautiful palm trees, flowers, and shrubbery. We felt like we were at an Oasis every day. The beauty itself would keep me coming back year after year. There are two pools, one is heated and the other is not(they are talking about turning the second one into a hot tub, I really hope this does happen, it would ad something extra to something already extraordinary). The rooms themselves are homey and very comfortable. The paintings on the walls are breath taking. There are "Real" comforters and sheets on the beds. Not stuffy Hotel blankets that are scratchy and ugly. The comforter we had in the room actually matched one that my husband had owned before, which made him feel even more at home here.
I have heard a lot of people on here talking about this place needing repairs, but I think it is just the opposite. It is a cozy mom and pops motel that is very welcoming and charming. It was built over 50 years ago and still has the original tile and grout. The upkeep that they put into this motel is amazing. I mean sure, there are flaws here and there, but that is what sets it apart from other places. I have stayed in very upscale resorts and hotels and always felt like I ws just anoher number or another dollar in their pockets. Not here. I felt like I was with family the whole time there. Everyone knew each others first names and learned most peoples life stories all while hanging out by the beautiful pool that is 3 feet on one side and 6 feet on the other. There are plenty of poolside chairs and pool toys available for people who might have overlooked packing these items. They also have extra buckets for kiddos to take to the beach and a two person bike that you can borrow if you would like, without any extra charge.
I cn seriously go on and on and on about how wonderful Amber Tides is. I promise that whenever I am in Clearwater Beach, I will never stay at another motel, hotel, or resort again. Amber Tides will have my business until either it closes or I pass away. Joe made a customer for life, and a friend. By the time we left, I was calling him Uncle Joe and my husband called him dad a couple times. (He was not afraid to tell you to walk to a bar, and not to drink and drive.) He is also a very smart person, whom you can have an intellectual conversation with, and he is always with-in the vicinity or a phone call away.
If you want a stuffy Hotel or resort where you are just another number and another dollar this place is not for you. this place has class and a personality all it's own. You will feel like part of a family here and I guarantee that if you give this place a shot, you will never go to another in Clearwater again, unless you are just one of those people that are stuffy and cannot be happy no matter how much someone try's to please you. If you need it here, Joe will do everything in his powers to get it for you or help you find a place to get it. I would come back for Anniversaries, a family get together, or vacation. I loved this place and Joe so much, that I am now sitting at my own home, day dreaming about being "home" at Amber Tides. Keep up the good work Joe. You are the best at what you do and I cannot wait until our next vacation there or when we move to Clearwater Beach, I will always come back to visit you and to make you another dinner.
BTW, I forgot to mention, that you are not going to find a better deal, either. Like I said, It is 2 blocks from the beach and 3 blocks from Pier 60 and it was as cheap as it is to stay in a hotel in our little home town of Corydon Indiana, that has no beaches, nor does it have many family activities, the historical value is all we have here and a casino close by. You cannot beat this price and quality and hospitality all wrapped up in one place, even if you spent $500+ a night at a resort. We will always return home to Amber Tides and Uncle Joe.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a full kitchen. It will save you hundreds of dollars, just to cook your...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple