“Better than expected”

Bob Heilman's Beachcomber
Ranked #29 of 713 Restaurants in Clearwater
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1948 Fresh Seafood, Prime Steaks Award Winning Wine List, Generous Cocktails located in beautiful Clearwater Beach Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our meal here. Very consistent. The final tab was less than expected as well. The NY strip was excellent with the home-made onion rings. Definately an older crowd. Service was good but parking is a problem (like everywhere on CWB). Many of the long established restaurants go downhill over time but apparently not the Beachcomber. I would definately go again.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

My wife and I had an enjoyable evening.
The waitress was very pleasant,attentive and professional. The food was very good and well presented.
We enjoyed the quiet peaceful atomsphere. The meal was reasonable for such a fine restaurant.

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I must say the reviews calling it a place for the geriatric crowd are warranted BUT don’t let it influence your decision; unless you’re a 20-something looking for a date. The week we stayed in Clearwater Beach we went twice. The food is good and this is one of the few places you can go (with kids) for dinner that is a bit more upscale than the fried-food joints that populate the area (though they will accommodate you if you in fresh-from-the-beach wear).

The location is just north of Pier 60 making it walking distance from most hotels in the area. The room is nicely decorated and has lots of atmosphere; the live piano player was a nice, sophisticated, touch. Personally I loved the white leather bankette area, though a woman next to our table found it too bright. Service was hit and miss. The first night it was ok, not incredibly attentive (there was a bit of a wait to get her attention) but not shoddy—the server did humor my daughter’s need to have her uber-hot fish/chips put in the freezer for a few minutes and was attentive enough that they came back perfectly temperate. The second night we had Fred, clearly a professional waiter. He was brilliantly attentive and just the right amount of gab to make one feel welcome without being too chatty; he also humored the freezer request to perfection. He made a perfect wine (by the glass) pairing suggestion for my steak.

LOTS of choices on the menu! Steaks, Veal, Fish, Shellfish and a couple off the wall selections like Beef Stroganoff. Lots of fresh daily specials. The food is very flavorful but had some rough edges. The Clams Casino has great flavor, came out still sizzling but the clams were a bit tough and lemon wedge sitting on the hot serving plate was too hot to handle. The House salad was crisp and fresh, great flavor in the creamy ceasar vinegarette. Bronzed shrimp (sort of a blackened-lite) was very tasty as was the garlic/butter sauce but the shrimp a bit tough. Prime NY strip ordered black and blue, came completely black and blue—tender as melted butter, the char on the outside was a bit burnt tasting but not overly offensive. Side dish of fried eggplant was light and delightful—a perfect sub for fries; whipped potatoes were light and delicious as were the onion rings. For desert the Profiteroles’ puff had a slightly soggy texture but the vanilla ice cream and hot fudge to die for. My daughter’s chocolate ice cream hot-fudge sundae was similarly delicious. The praline Sundae was exceptional.

Host graciously called a cab for us on the second night when it was too rainy to walk back to our hotel.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

This place is great for a night out, but it's not my favorite by a long shot. The place just seems a little pretentious. The servers are great, and the food is pretty good, but it's not the best place to take a date, that would be Caretta's at the Sandpearl. But I would go back probably, and I reccommend this place. :)

Reviewed August 6, 2010

We go to the Beachcomber every time we are in Clearwater Beach. The food and service is excellent. They even have 2 for $28 specials from 4:00 to 5:00. We love the old time, clubby atmosphere and the piano music! It's a throwback to an earlier era. My husband remembers the Beachcomber from trips to Clearwater his family made in the 50' s and 60's. Try the fried chicken!