“Anachronistic in a good way.”

Bob Heilman's Beachcomber
Ranked #27 of 693 Restaurants in Clearwater
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Anachronistic in a good way.”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

This is old school dining. I for one love the ambiance and charm the beachcomber has. And I'm told it used to be even better. We made reservations and sat in the music room. The volume and musical selections were perfect. I usually hate live dinner music, but this was perfect accompaniment for this establishment.

The wine list is expansive with some good choices and frankly, reasonable prices compared to what us Canadians pay at home at a restaurant.

The relishes were different in a good way. Serving them with crackers really makes you feel like you've gone back in time. I quite enjoyed the beet and horseradish relish, while my wife preferred the apple butter.

My wife had escargot, which were tasty, but just a little saltier than she prefers. I had a shrimp cocktail, which was perfect. I was a happy man. My swordfish was cooked to perfection, nice and moist. My wife's ribs were smokey delicious. We both ordered the mashed potatoes, which were a touch under whelming, lacking a little in flavor enhancements.

If I'm ever back in Clearwater, I would definitely try the Beachcomber again.

PS. My wife loved the hot bacon salad dressing.

2 Thank equipe0

• Turkish first
“Lovely evening”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by the nearby hotel where we were staying.
The ambiance is lovely. Soft live piano music was in the background the entire time we were dining. It is fine dining. I have food allergies and the server was knowledgeable and accomodating.
The salads that accompanied the meal were generous and varied. I had a tomato salad that included fresh mozzarella and delicious black olives. My husband ordered veal marsela, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had a chopped sirloin steak smothered in mushrooms and onions and it was totally yummy, though it was large enough to feed two. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
“The good days are gone..”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I've been coming here since I was a child. Tonight I'm sad to say, was less than steller. My goodness it was terrible from the start. I'm so bummed I have to complain about an establishment that I've frequented more times than I can count. We made reservations a month ago for this evening. It's our wedding anniversary. We always request a seat in the music room. We get there and they weren't ready for us so we we get scooted to the bar to wait. When they finally come over to seat us, they want to put us in the other room. We said no; we specifically requested the music area. Meanwhile we see walk ins being seated left and right.... in the music room!! Finally when they got us our table we were ignored for quite some time as if to be further punished. The story gets worse with ongoing terrible service and food. Even the poor woman at the next table had her food go back to the kitchen as did the gentleman on the other side of us. Not a good situation. My dish, the seafood combination was so overcooked and dry. A shame to do to a beautiful array of seafood. Needless to say I sent it back and was soooo fed up I just wanted to leave! We got our bill and went on our way. I left without eating. Without a nice anniversary evening. Thanks alot Beachcomber, for spoiling our special night.

7 Thank Maria D
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Shrimp, Shrimp Everywhere!!!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We braved the traffic at Clearwater Beach on a Friday night and found our way to Bob Heilman's Beachcomber. Free valet parking was a nice touch. The restaurant has a somewhat elegant atmosphere, but many patrons were casually attired, coming in from 90+ degree temperatures! After drinks were ordered, a service of relishes was delivered to our table. There was one selection that looked a lot like mashed up beets and my cousin urged me to try it. I HATE beets, but I applied a bit to a cracker, chewed on it a while and discovered something I never thought possible: a beet concoction that actually tasted good! It was, as I anticipated, a mashed beet, but it was mixed with loads of horseradish and other goodies. I must admit, I liked it. I also enjoyed the rest of the meal. I opted for a shrimp salad that must have had a pound of shrimp in it (couldn't finish it). The half-dozen oysters were nice and fresh and tasty, too. If you don't like shrimp, there's plenty of other fish on the menu: grouper, trout, halibut, scallops, snapper and even frogs' legs. Landlubbers can also opt for steaks. The portions are substantial and the prices quite reasonable. I'd go back!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Warren F
Muskogee, Oklahoma
“Felt very outdated.”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The waitress was poorly trained and the atmosphere looks like its straight out of the mad men era. The food was good. The live music was an old guy on a old piano/keyboard playing lounge/elevator music.

Visited July 2014