“Dinner and a Show”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Countryside Blvd. and US 19
“Dinner and a Show”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have gone multiple times and both my wife and I enjoy it. The restaurant is clean, but dark and sometimes seems a little grungy. The food is excellent and the portions are huge (especially now with the free lunch coming with some dinners). The wait staff outside of the chef is really hit or miss. Sometimes they are very prompt and my drink never gets below half way, and other times I could be waiting for a refill for 10 minutes. The Chef is always entertaining, and usually does his best to interact with the crowd. The prices make sense when you consider it a dinner and a show. The email/mail list also provides a lot of deals including free meals.

• Visited August 2013

“First time going to a Japanese steak house and we can't wait to go back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

The portions are huge, and the food is good. The cook at or table was funny and did a great job.We had lunch boxed for the next day and that really turned into two days. So much food and so good. We have already made plans to return.

• Visited October 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“Still My Favorite Japanese Steakhouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have tried other Japanese Steakhouses, but this one is still my favorite. The food is consistently good, and the sauces are great!! I went with a few friends that were visiting Florida and they loved it. The food and service was great. We had Chef Jeff and Angelique; they both made it a fun night. I ordered a combo dinner of Chicken, Shrimp and scallops, which came with a free chicken lunch box,. Love having extra leftovers!! Another great dinner at Arigato.
I usually spend about $30 when I am there, and I think it's a fair price for the food and portions served. When we arrived, we did have to wait a little while to get seated, but I forgot to make reservations; I should know by now to call ahead.
I noticed some of the other reviews talk about the décor. I agree that the décor is outdated, but to me the most important part of a restaurant is the food and service. I have been going to Arigato for almost two decades and really have never had a bad experience so I am amazed by some reviews. The worst ones seem to relate to a money issue (service charge, discount, groupon, etc) so I just wonder if some reviews are more related to a money or coupon issue rather the real experience.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Tarnowfl
Tampa Florida
“Once was enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Usually when I review some place local I'll go 2 or 3 times first. Not this time. Typical Japanese steakhouse style concept. The place is old, outdated, looks dirty and the food was so over salted I had trouble eating it. Other than a kid wanting to go for a birthday or something like that I'm not sure why they get good reviews.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Westshore
Clearwater, Florida
“Really Good Food, Mediocre Showmanship, Disjointed Service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I brought my son here for his 18th birthday. I had made reservations and we had to wait for others to be seated-that weren't part of my party. When they showed up a woman came out to take our drink orders. They eventually came out and we sat around waiting...then the chef finally showed up and took everyone's orders. It was a painstaking process, but that was due to the chef's English ability I believe. Then the food cart eventually showed up and we got one flaming onion and one burst of oil flame. That was it as far as Japanese chef showmanship went- no brilliant spatula juggling, popping cooked shrimp in anyone's mouth ...nothing. Pretty disappointing. It was more like a slowly drawn out hibachi style restaurant similar to BD's Mongolian Grill- you're just watching silently as someone stands there and cooks for you. If you expect interaction or fun you better bring some people with you. The prices are what you'd expect at a Japanese steakhouse. For 5 people I paid $200, which is fine if the experience and food is worth it. The food was good, but it wasn't $40 per person level good- and that's with my son getting a $20 discount because it was his birthday. They don't have anything on a 4 or 5 star American steak house. What I really didn't like is that they automatically added in the gratuity. I've been a waiter in a previous life and the house policy had always been 8 or more in a party when that is done. There were 5 in mine. The service and show was not worth their obligatory 20%+ tip. They ask you if you want a cake, I did so I ordered it, it was $10. It was a good cake, but it doesn't look like a birthday cake, more like a Bundt cake. I wouldn't recommend this solely on the prices and lackluster atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013