“Definitely worth a try!”
Review of Salt N Pepper Bistro - CLOSED

Salt N Pepper Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a small family own and operated Bistro. All our cooking is done at order using fresh ingredients. We carry a nice selection of meat, seafood and fresh pasta dish. We also serve savory or sweet crepes.We offer a very nice selection of imported Paulaner beer and a large variety of wine by the glass or bottle. Our Bistro is small so please make a reservation.
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We just moved to Clearwater from St. Louis, Missouri. There was a place where I used to work that had the most amazing crepes. These crepes are much better than those!

In Paris it is very easy to get a crepe off the street - that is very common - that is part of my heritage. My maiden name is French - growing up my dad used to make all sorts of crepes - from cream of mushroom/chicken to chocolate with strawberry. Growing up in America it is uncommon to have crepes at the dinner table - for me they bring back so many memories. I am so happy to have found a place in Clearwater that has crepes! I will keep coming back for sure! Thank you for bringing back memories of home!

1  Thank anagiga78

Reviewed July 28, 2014

With the reviews our expectations for dinner here were high. The menu is heavy on cream sauces, as one would expect at a French restaurant. There are however some " lighter" Italian dishes with Provençal sauces. The Caprese salad was surprisingly good considering Florida tomatoes are so bad. There was lots of olive oil and herb dressing which made dipping baguette wonderful. My wife's Shrimp and pasta and Provencale sauce was very good and shrimps quite large.
I ordered the Wild Salmon special which was advertised as served with lemon dill sauce, escalloped potatoes and green beans

The server asked how I would like the salmon served and I said medium-rare. It came well done with a heavy cream sauce. The beans were over-cooked and everything way too salty.

Prices are high for this area and food preparation and execution should be more consistent. In sum-not impressed and I won't be back.

6  Thank phmokda
jclinusa, Owner at Salt N Pepper Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

I would like to start by saying that Provençale is not an Italian dish but a French one; Provence is a region in the south of France. Also thank you for the compliments on your wife’s dishes and the appetizer.
Concerning your meal, it was clearly stated on the board that the salmon was topped with a lemon CREAM dill sauce. Now when you where served you did not complain about it, which you should have mentioned if you did not want a cream sauce. However you chose to eat your dish and when you where asked about it you again did not mention any of the complaints in your review. If it was not to your liking (everyone has different tastes and the majority of our customers don’t complain about how much seasoning we use) you should have simply stated that the dish was too salty for you, and we would have gladly cooked you another meal using little to no salt.
We are genuinely concerned about our customers and try our hardest to please everyone and try to give you the best dining experience we can. This is difficult if you refuse to say anything.
It looks like your wife was very pleased as she thanked and complimented my wife on her way out saying that everything was perfect and she will be back.
I must inform you that the dishes are not geographically priced but in accordance to the quality of the ingredients we use and the quantities served. All of our dishes are prepared from scratch to order.
You also mention consistency, which I don’t understand how you can judge as this was your first visit.
“Bad human communication leaves us less room to grow.” - Rowan Williams

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My family & I ended our Clearwater Vacation (also my Birthday dinner), with the best dinner we had while in Florida, at the Salt N Pepper Bistro! We had read such amazing reviews about this place, we had to try it for ourselves...and we were NOT disappointed. A cozy French Bistro, with fantastic dishes that are made from fresh ingredients, and a Chef that cares about not only each meal he prepares, but the people eating them as well. The Chef came by to check on our family (at table 2) and cracked us up as he shared stories about how he & his family came to own & operate Salt N Pepper...what a great way to make your guests feel so welcome! I had the Crepe Chicken Supreme and it really was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten! We had really hoped to have dessert (because I am sure they are fabulous) but we were so happy & full after our meal, that we decided that the next time we vacation in FL, we will make a special trip back here and save room for dessert!! Thanks to the Chef & his wife for a great ending to our vacation!

1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I ate a superb dinner at Salt n Pepper last night. I have traveled extensively in France and the chicken provençale I had reminded me of the simple but perfectly cooked dishes I have had in bistros and auberges in France. There is nothing "fancy" about about Salt n Pepper. They obviously concentrate on good food rather than on interior decoration.
I only recently discovered Salt n Pepper (through a friend's gift certificate) and from now on if I want a real French meal, I will go to Salt n Pepper!
Oh, one more thought: I had a glass of ordinary table wine ("vin ordinaire" in France) that Salt n Pepper recommended to me to go with the chicken provençale. I have to be careful with red wines because (like many Asians) I find some red wines a bit rough on the edge, but this wine was very smooth, had a gentle, subtle taste with a good bouquet and went perfectly with the chicken. (People usually drink white wine with chicken, but for provençale sauce you need a red.)

1  Thank Johann F
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My Husband and I went to the Salt N Pepper Bistro for our anniversary dinner while staying in Clearwater. The Hostess was extremely pleasant and friendly. She and her Husband (the Chef) have developed a wonderful atmosphere that is both hospitable and welcoming. The lobster bisque is the best bisque I have ever tasted. So creamy with fresh bits of lobster and a wonderful blend of seasonings. Not at all over-powering. We shared the strawberry, chocolate crepe and it was heavenly! The only thing stopping us from going back the second night was the Clearwater traffic. If you are anywhere near Clearwater you must try this slice of French Heaven in FL!!

2  Thank Lisa C