“A split review”

Ranked #42 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
New York
“A split review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

This is a split decision about this hotel. It had some great things to it. The hotel is an excellent location, we arrived at night and when awoke in the morning and walked out of our room the view was breathtaking. The pool was so warm, the room was clean .

On the other hand, the hotel outside is scarey, it probably hasn't been cleaned and painted since the 70's, the elevators inspection expired in 2006. The pools walls were so dirty that someone had written wash me on them, although i did see the staff clean the pool every morning ,they just never cleaned the walls. The lawn chairs were dirty, rusty, and moldy. No one is at the hotel after 9pm if you need something.
When we were leaving our room one morning the housekeeper told me not to bring sand into the room since they had put new floors in. I wasn't dragging extra sand in but we are on a beach.
The bathroom also needed a little work.
I guess if you aren't spending much time in your room then this is for you, the location can't be beat, but it was a alittle scarey.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — How dirty the outside is.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lafprop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
ocoee, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

we love going to clearwater every year, and we always stay there at the ritz . i have been going since 1997, with my family, it is great for long or short vacation with the family or just a romantic get away with your loved one... like we try to do every year..
is great in price, the rooms are real good and the pool is small but nice. what i like is that you can walk to everything there's the beach right in front of you and restaurants, gift shoppes,park and at night great entertainment at the shepards hotel they have food,tiki bar and the wave their nightclub wich is great.. is like being at key west just not that far away!! check out my pictures you'll see.
thank you for being great in service.... see ya next month
cuz this year we're going more than once...

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — not enough parking
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank marianovoa1972
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2006

I spent 2 weeks in August at the Ritz with my wife and two small kids. The service was great as well as the room. The people at the front desk were very helpful and offered discount cards to the nearby restaurants. I realized that we forgot to bring a blow dryer and asked at the front desk if they had a loaner. I followed the manager to a few storage rooms who finally gave up saying that their loaners “tended to sprout legs”. Though I ended up at the Walgreens nearby and picked up a cheap travel dryer, I was impressed that she made such an effort for me. Housekeeping was also exceedingly helpful especially when my daughter ended up stuck in bed for a few days with a virus. Extra sheets, towels,… no questions, no problems. I mean, honestly, one day the housekeeper came in with a vase of flowers from her garden!

The location is simply excellent, within walking distance of just about everything and the beach right across the street. There is outdoor entertainment up the street at Pier 60 that includes a couple playgrounds under roof for kids to play in and entertainers and tabletop vendors at sundown. There is no internet access at the motel (there is free wi-fi offered by the local chamber but the signal was too weak) but there is a very nice internet café nearby.

Kids cruising the strip on the weekend can get noisy but the local authorities are very visible and do an excellent job of keeping things under control. My kids and I had a great time checking out the hot rods that came by. By midnight everything is generally peaceful again.

On departure I kidded the owner to “take the money and run” if they ever got offered the major bucks that are being paid for properties on the strip. She firmly stated that they and a few other hotels and restaurants are committed to staying put. They are a family operation and continue to invest in room upgrades and keeping up the property. “We’re not going anywhere”.

As you may have guessed, I’ve been coming to the Ritz for some time. Over 20 years now. And my family and I will absolutely be back.

If you are looking for 4-5 star accommodations or a place to trash for spring break, I recommend you look elsewhere. If you want a decent beachfront motel in the middle of everything for your family to enjoy, this is it.

• Liked — Classic seaside motel, great location, within walking distance of everything
  • Disliked — Lack of internet but the nearby cafe was excellent
  • Tips/Secrets — The internet cafe has desktop machines as well as ethernet hookups for your laptop. And, of course, bring suntan lotion!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank w2889nj
chicopee, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2006

My wife and I recently spent a two week vacation at the ritz resort in clearwater florida. The room was roomy and comfortable(although a little outdated.) There was daily maid service and the maids were very accomodating. The prices were reasonable. We would recomend this beach front motel.

7 Thank gag123
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2006

We made reservations for Spring Break ahead of time. We specified everything in advance including a non smoking room. And surprise, I open the door of my room and I cant even enter from the overwhelming stench of continuous cigarette smoke from the past few years. There is also no sense of organization in the motel. The "cleaning lady" also happened to run the service desk, be the day time manager and was the rudest person I have met yet. I switched to a different hotel half an hour after arriving. I will never even consider the smallest chance of stepping foot into The Ritz Motel ever again!

• Stayed March 2006
88 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hillsbro, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2005

I called ahead about a month before traveling to reserve a room but after talking to the morning clerk, I decided against staying there. She was very rude on the phone and I felt as if I was being interrogated. We ended up staying in Treasure Island for a week and then heading back up to Clearwater Beach. Against my better judgment, we stopped at the Ritz. The evening desk clerk was absolutely charming and very helpful so we checked in. The room was clean and was nothing like I had expected given the appearance of the outside of the "resort". Unfortunately we had some rather seedy neighbors who decided to keep us up until about 2 a.m. (There seemed to be alot of questionable characters staying there while we were there.) When we finally got to sleep, we woke up to a rattling in the air conditioner before it finally quit leaving the room stuffy. I went down to inform the clerk the next morning and asked if we could be moved to another room. She looked at me and said in an accusing tone, "no one has ever complained about that room before", and "were you turning the unit off and on?" and that all she could do was send a maintenance man sometime to check it out, but she would NOT move us. I came to the quick conclusion that this was the rude clerk that I had spoken to on the phone before my trip. We hung in there for one more night and the maintenance man did get the unit running but you could only operate it on very cold and so we pretty much had icicles hanging from our noses the remainder of our stay. Needless to say we had to open the back window and leave the front door open just to stay comfortable.
Upon checking out the following morning I turned my key in to the NOT FRIENDLY clerk and she asked if I had left the remote to the TV in the room. I told her I had not recieved one upon checking in and she informed me that they ALWAYS give the remote upon check-in. The interrogation continued...."what room were you in?' and after I answered her she looked in the cubby hole with our room number on it and what do you know......there was the remote. "Well, it's here now", she scowled, as if I had somehow snuck it in there while she wasn't looking.
If you are looking for a place to stay where you want to be treated like a guest and not some inconvenience then this is NOT the place for you. The daytime clerk could definitely learn some lessons from the evening clerk. Kindness and courtesy are important to me. If I had been shown some, I would not be writing this review. We should have been moved to another room considering the hotel wasn't even half full or recieved an apology or offered a discount, etc. Instead we were treated as if these things were our fault. I should have gone with my gut instinct and steered clear of the Ritz. Never again.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
80 Thank paradisehunter
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2005

This motel is a throwback to the 1950's, with simple rooms and plaster walls. The location is ideal, with the clientele mostly families. Basically, a nice place to stay for the price. However, it's obvious the owners are throwing little or no money into the motel with the condo construction boom threatening its very existence. The air conditoners are sub-standard. The room lighting is dim. The cleaning staff forgot us one day and then lied about us putting a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door handle. When they did clean the next day, they did a good job. The slavic-born managers speaking broken English are courteous, but very strict about check out and requests. The small pool is very clean. Overall, we would stay here again during spring break, but would not choose it for any other time of the year.

• Stayed March 2005