“Dated but close to everything...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beachwalk Inn

Beachwalk Inn
Ranked #42 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Pittsburgh
“Dated but close to everything...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Our time frame was 3-6 April, we began by looking for a room several weeks earlier but everything was either full or coming up at $200+ per night...then this one came on my radar at around $403 for 3 nights right on the beach so we took it.

First impressions....1950s or 60s..tiled bathrooms and older windows and rusty air conditioners (but working fine)....dated but clean and a strong air of sanitizer...but Frenchys restaurant was next door and all the shops and beach and the uptown section was a nice walk...so the room served its purpose...it includes a refrigerator...an Insignia TV with an inconsistent remote - my girlfriend hooked up her cellphone with remote tv features for one night).. ( and CFL bulbs that sometimes need replaced...management throws in beach chairs if you get them quick and parking had no 'resort fee'...they do have a pool that was tempting..

Would I stay there again? Debatable...management is tightfisted...but the location and lack of other cheaper places would call me back...

Room Tip: watch eating ice cream...I gained 5 pounds in 3 days...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank J S
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Beachwalk Inn, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
I always thank people for reviews, even if they call me "tightfisted" Please understand, yes all other hotels ON the Gulf, Clearwater Beach price is 200.00 plus for time of year you come. You try my job here.... not all families can afford Hyatt, Hilton, but still should have nice clean place for family Florida vacation. To keep our price lowest on ALL Clearwater Beach ( except for 2 old motels that just waiting for bulldozers- nasty) I have to be as you say "tightfisted" but at same time I spend several thousands to replace - upkeep etc... and older building cost more then brand new. So owners and I talk and we know what go on around us - in next year or two EVERYBODY be 250.00 - 300.00 a night. New hotel across the street by same people as Sand Pearl be 300- 400 a night. Understand - we could tear down and build all new, 10 rooms per floor, 15 stories. This is what we could do. Trust owner no problem get finance for 35 million new motel/hotel. But we have guests that been coming here for 20 years and more - every year. So we stay.... as we are, and most hope we don't change. Air condition - I understand you not understand so I explain. We on Gulf beach - A/C is sucking salt air thru vents all day - all night. You be rusty in two - three weeks also!!! Yes, we use energy saving eco light bulb. Next time you visit here - try stay at Hyatt, only 1 block away. They charge you 250.00 or more (more then 2X our price) .... PLUS then you pay to park everyday, 16.00 - 25.00 if valet, Also pay for resort fee ( 28.00 a day) to use pool and get two bottle water and newspaper - if you ask. Then you pay 3.00 for cup of coffee - and 7.00 for english muffin and egg. I think they also charge 10.00 for wifi password. They charge for every little thing, they be " tightfisted" with palm out for tip.... here, I include 1 parking spot with room, free coffee, free wifi, no silly resort fee to use pool. Newspaper 50 cents on curb....we are a MOTEL NOT a HOTEL! Peoples don't understand difference - I undertand.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
new egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a wonderful stay for 4nts/4days. Room was very clean and location is wonderful. Staff were so very helpful... we were able to borrow a wine corkscrew and beach chairs, and they even made dinner reservations for us. Bed was so very comfortable, air conditioning worked perfect and best of all, the room was so so quiet! We did not hear anything from anyone above, below or either side. We did not have a microwave or stove, but did have a fridge and coffeepot which were both very helpful.
Tiny quirks, all sorta related - 1) room service came in for the first time the day before we left. You can get new towels but only if you go down to main office and ask. Otherwise you would have same 2 (very small) bath towels all week. Sheets were not changed at all. To me, they did not need it. I would rather save the water consumption. But if you have a thing about having clean sheets every night, it could be problematic. Nothing was replenished during our stay (b/c no room service), including t.p. We had to go down and ask for that too.
When we would leave the room, the deadbolt lock on our door did not work. We had to rely on the doorknob lock only. It turned out fine in the end, so no problem for us. We stayed during a busy week, so parking was limited... if you had to park in lot under building, you had to back out of lot to get out.
Overall, if that is all I can find to complain about, the place must have been pretty dang good! Yeah, the motel needs some updating but overall we loved our stay! We will definitely return. Thanks, Veronika and the man with recent mouth surgery!

Room Tip: I thought the large deck at the end of our floor (3rd) closest to the ocean was for everyone to use...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jo b
Thankyou for nice review - your room was a standard motel room, which does not have a kitchenette. But ALL rooms have at least a microwave, coffee pot and mini fridge. Dead bolt is not for you - not work because guests never get a key for dead bolt. Just for extra security at night when you are in the room and also maids do not have dead bolt key, only my husband who is maintainece man have key for dead blot. This rare - but if guest steal key and think they sneak back in for free. Not going to work - dead bolt locked till new regular lock replaced.You here at busiest time of year - but no excuse for not getting better maid service, I discuss and show your review to all maids. They should at least checked with you if you needed fresh towels, TP, etc... We do not change sheets daily unless customer requests the additional service. Next time you return I have nice bottle of wine waiting for you, and you stay in larger room with kitchenette. Please call me directly. Thank You again ~ Veronika
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Before you look here, adjust your expectations. If you're looking for that Hilton/Marriott "experience", keep looking. This is an unpretentious, classic, old-school, mom n pop motel which happens to be parked next to one of the great beaches in all of Florida. The "Resort" in the name must have been someone's tongue-in-cheek poke at all the other big $$$ joints up and down the strip. This is simply a cheap, clean, place to park while you enjoy what's outside the door. I got the single bed suite (grin). Small room with and even smaller kitchen. Reasonably comfortable bed. Bring your own pillow if you are sensitive to lifeless, flat, foam and cloth-like pillow substitutes. If you want free breakfast, WiFi, fitness center and a sympathetic ear while you complain about the dirty, noisy, window a/c unit, go pay $300+ at the Hyatt down the street. I personally dig these places.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank hwkrdrvr
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Beachwalk Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
I enjoy and have good laugh reading your review. Honest & direct. All true except I must explain is not as you say , " tongue in cheek poke at all other big $$$ joints" Truth is in 1956 when motel was built here - Original owner name it, Modern Air conditioning, AT&T in room telephone, Television, massage mattress for 5 cents, heated swimming pool. These LUXURY items back in 1950's even if TV was B&W only with 5 stations. In it's day - here really was RITZ on most beautiful beach. Yes, much change over years. Solid concrete pour building been thru 5 good hurricane & many tropical storm. Still standing. Our booking is mostly repeat customers many who come here for years - I be manager here 20 + years I know. Sorry if pillow not up to your standard, I not order cheapest, but not best $30.00 mypillow like have at home. We replace pillows very often. We not insult guests with piece of fruit or cello wrap danish and call breakfast like others do. 3 good breakfast options in 1 block walk from motel. Crabby Beachwalk give our child guest under 12 free pancake breakfast and Beach Shanty 5.00 buy nice breakfast. For $200.00 savings a night - you can buy lobster omelet with steak! You very correct. We slowly changing name to Westmont Inn franchise name, but hard when everyone know us as Ritz Resort Motel all these years. Not want people to think different owner or manager. Thank you for your review, I wish you return. I have nice bottle wine chilled when you come back. Veronika General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This motel is exactly as described. The room was large and has a small kitchen. The location would be hard to beat. A few steps to the beach and not far to the pier. The room and bathroom were very clean. Great restaurants all around you. Staff very helpful with recommendations. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda154914
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Beachwalk Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Nice review, I hope I see you again next years!
Thanks so much, Veronika General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

My room was clean and spacious, and the mini fridge and microwave helped me save a ton of money on meals. The view from the balcony is superb, the beach on one side, and the marina on the other, sheltered from the wind (Southern exposure). The pool and common areas were clean and well-maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. I plan to stay here every time I visit from now on!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Beachwalk Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank You for your review! Happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you this year or next yr :-)
Hamburg, Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Me and my boyfriend spontaneously decided to stay a couple of days in this Motel. The location is just great, you only have to cross the street to get to the beach. Next to the hotel are plenty of bars & shops. Make sure to also check out the pier, there is a lot fun stuff going on at night. The room was nice & clean. A very special "Thank You" to KC, one of the staff members there. He did not only tell us so many amazing places to go, but also made sure we had a great anniversary. It was great & we love to come back in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susilicious
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Beachwalk Inn, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank You for nice review. KC know all best places to eat and party this is true. Here Ritz Resort I say we not just rent 4 walls, bed and bathroom, but make sure you have nice vacation here on beautiful beach so you wish to return again. Far from Germany? Me from Poland. We have many guests from UK, Sweden, Germany, Canada, Brazil - all over world peoples be come here. For best rate please call me direct on toll free phone line 1-800-200-1477 you ask me for room #20 be nice for you and husband. Veronika - General Manager
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We were a group of 9+ volleyball players who came down from New England to play some ball for a few days. We looked at all sorts of reviews and narrowed the search to the Ritz because of location and price. I have to say that the Ritz met all our expectations and then some. An early check in by Alex was much appreciated, anything we needed was provided right away - mostly by KC ... he's the man!! - the price was right (thanks Veronika :) and the location is as good or better than any other place on Clearwater Beach.

Our group was able to gather on the patio of our room for meals and late night get togethers, but only because we were cool about it. We really appreciated that and extend a heartfelt thanks to the Ritz staff for allowing us to enjoy everything that the property has to offer.

While I would love to keep the Ritz the best kept secret on Clearwater Beach, the Ritz deserves to be at 100% of capacity. We will definitely be back next year. In fact, I already reserved the room with Veronika!

Thanks again to Alex, Veronika, KC, Mickey and the rest of the Ritz staff. See you in 2015

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank medina_sod
You most welcome, Thank you for nice review. I been here 20 years and I not going anywhere for at least 5 more. I see you young peoples next years, happy you happy, make me happys.