“Good with some negatives”

Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
Ranked #22 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Chicago, Illinois
“Good with some negatives”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

The walls are thin. We could hear the neighbor snoring, and…um, other things, if you know what I mean. There are no elevators and we were on the top floor. Not fun when you have to carry heavy luggage up there. Also, request a room without a pool view. It’s loud when people are there and the waterfall is loud. And if you are in the first building which is above the office there isn’t a parking garage below so unless you are lucky enough to grab one of the two parking spots out front then you have to park in one of the other garages and walk around. It wasn’t planned out very well when they built the place and it’s too late to make changes like that to the design. If you can look past these things, the staff was great and the actual rooms were very nice with very comfortable beds.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Max A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Located in South Clearwater Beach, across the street from the beach and their sister property, the Quality Inn. You also have pool and beach privileges there. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient at check in and they have comp coffee and tea in the lobby around the clock. Pool area is nice, lots of chairs and has a certain charm to it. The parking is on ground floor ($10/day) with the rooms above the parking area. The suites are large with a nice kitchen area and standard bathroom with shower/bath. The bedroom area has a patio and we had a king size bed that was pretty comfy. One thing that concerned me was security as there was homeless people hanging out right by the stairwell to our floor. There's a picnic table in between the Subway located next door and the southernmost building and that's where the seem to hang out night and day. On the other hand, the Clearwater police department is located right next door....lol. It's no Five star property for sure but the Suites are nice if you want to have lots of room and pretty much a full kitchen.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bryandmiller1
Lancaster Co, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

have written and rewrote this review in my head every day since leaving this resort several days ago. Although this is one of the most beautiful and fully equipped accommodations we stayed at it wasn't without flaw, mainly trust issues. Read on.......

To say I was upset when we arrived was an understatement. I was furious and our entire first night in Clearwater was spent in a foul mood with us trying to find other accommodations. Reason being is because after spending a week in Orlando at the theme parks, fighting crowds, being stuck in traffic, waiting in huge lines for food, restroom etc, and dealing with other people's screaming and whining children all we wanted was to relax. When we booked several months in advance we would told by hotel staff that this place had a private beach, directly across the street, that they share with their sister hotel. What they failed to tell you is that you have to walk across the street, past 2 huge condo buildings, thru an Ihop parking lot, up a ramp, thru an outdoor bar and down another ramp only to be greeted by what I would call a sandbox - a 10' x 60' patch of sand, filled to the rim with people, located between two loud outdoor bars blaring country music and filled to capacity with intoxicated people. I would not consider this a true beach, especially when it's located in a channel, with land in sight, no waves, and no shells. Not my idea of a relaxing time after spending a week in Orlando. The real beach, Clearwater, which they claim is a 15 minute walk away is realistically a 40 minute walk, add another 5 minutes if you want to go to Pier 60. They lied plain and simple and I have a REAL problem with that.

I also had a problem that they charged my credit card 2 days before we even arrived. And after speaking to several people at the tourist booth in Clearwater Beach was told that this property was one of the most expensive properties in the area. For the money a private beach should be a real beach, not a sandbox situated between two honky tonks.

Another major problem I had was there were no elevators, none, nada. You had to lug your luggage thru the pool area, thru 2 safety gates, thru a parking lot and up the stairs. Our 3 suitcases weighed about 50 lbs each and it was 93 degrees the day we arrived, the last thing we wanted to do was drag ourselves up three flights of stairs only to be greeted by a room that looked nothing like the website. Another negative. I immediately went to the lobby and spoke to management about the beach, lack of elevator (didn't see that advertised or mentioned anywhere) and they did move our room to one with a breakfast bar, but it was in another building, so we had to lug everything back down, then back up, this time to the second floor in another building as there isn't any 1st floor units.

I was so disappointed and irritated by this whole situation I made a comment on their Facebook page as I did and still do feel deceived. They took it down even though it was honest and well written. In other words they went out of their way to hide that I exposed the truth.

As I sat in the lobby complaining about inaccurate information they continued to tell incoming folks the same thing they told me!!!! At this point I didn't even know if we would stay in Clearwater at all. I didn't feel like lugging chairs and beach stuff on a bus to get to a real beach and I certainly wasn't even considering their "private" sandbox. Fortunately an incoming guest familiar with the area that had overheard my concerns stepped in and suggested Sand Key, a quick car ride across the bridge and a $5 fee, but better than nothing. This woman was the savior to our Clearwater beach vacation. Thank you Amy, wherever you might be!!!

Once I accepted my surroundings I did found the place very spacious and comfortable. Clean upon entry however the sand we drug in on day one only accumulated throughout our several day stay as housekeeping didn't vacuum on a daily basis. The trash cans were limited and undersized. The kitchen was equipped with service for 4 people but lacked some basic kitchen utensils - a strainer, pizza cutter, ice cream scooper, pizza sheet, and steak knives are some of the items we did without. The pool area was clean and decorated very nicely, however the music they played stayed on well beyond 10pm on one of the nights until I called the office and "reminded" them it was still on.

Looking back maybe I over reacted and took their statements too literal. It was a nice place but to sum it up if location and a real private beach is important to you stay elsewhere. If you are able to overlook the fact that they lie about the amenities go for it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
29 Thank mariacdb
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We, meaning myself and 4 family Members from Germany stayed here for 2 nights. I could not have found a better place if I tried.
My 75 year old Aunt who has never been to the US was thrilled. The entire Staff was awesome, no matter what time of day or night you needed anything they will be right there to help.
The suites are very roomy and anything you need is there, the pool area is beautiful as well.
I fell in love with Clearwater Beach, even though I already live in Florida I have told my Husband that is the place I want to retire at.
We will be back to this wonderful place and Hotel, I would and already have recommended Coconut Cove to anybody.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GermanGirl65
Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We had a fabulous experience with Coconut Cove. It was my daughter's Sweet 16 and this resort gave us everything we wanted. Great location as the girls had access to the beach from one end to the other including Pier 60. Hop on and off the trolley or leisurely stroll the street. The resort pool and deck is gorgeous! I do wish there was a hot tub but it's still wonderful! The room was excellent, beds were comfy. Everything was clean and orderly. We had some burnt out light bulbs and no chairs for the balcony when we arrived but a quick phone call and within a few short mins maintenenance was there and took care of it right away. I will definitely be back for more stays here and spread the word to my family and friends. Thanks for a great stay!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shannon S
Commerce Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at Coconut Cove October 10th and had the most wonderful time. It was an extremely clean and well kept facility on top of a wonderful and accommodating staff. The pool area was beautiful and not crowded (although it was a Thursday and a Friday). The location of the hotel was nice because it was a nice close walk to everything that we needed; restaurants, beach, stores, and a bar.

Would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura N
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

we visited Coconut Cove 10/03 - 10/06 the rooms are clean and large. The Staff is wonderful and friendly. The pool is clean and nice. Close walk to everything. Beach right across the street had not problem using the private beach at Quality

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank plmbchsunshine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwater
Sandpearl Resort
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach
Shephard's Beach Resort
Shephard's Beach Resort
#16 of 95 in Clearwater

Been to Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!