“Beware!!!!!!!!!! Very Important!”

Chart House Suites on Clearwater Bay
Ranked #24 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed February 10, 2009

BEWARE!!! This hotel requires you to sign a BLANK credit charge slip in addition to the charge slip for your room. When I questioned the blank charge credit slip with my credit card # on it, I was told this is incase I break anything or I incure any extra charges during my stay. This was NOT a credit card authorization nor was it a security deposit, it was a BLANK CREDIT CHARGE SLIP. Since I REFUSED to sign the blank charge slip, I was told I was not welcome to stay there. If you sign a BLANK charge slip, you are taking a BIG RISK! DON'T DO IT! They can write any amount on the slip and you are responsible for the charge since you "signed" it! I was never told in advance that I would be expected to sign this blank slip. As a result, I had to scramble looking for a new place to stay during my vacation! Fortunately I found the Days Inn down the street that had the exact same accomodations, was closer to the beach, was extreamly clean and had the same views plus they served breakfast. I also saved $25 a night staying at the Days Inn.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank 071810b

Reviewed November 17, 2008

Nice from the outside, not too bad but some problems. Large room and large balcony, but slightly tacky and rough around the edges. 0.7 miles to nearest beach but on a pretty harbour. Problems: bath had a crack, no remote control for TV, linen in bags along the corridors on arrival at 6 PM, and 1 cockroach (OK only 1 but maybe even that's too many...)

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Hubbie & I have just spent 4 nights here at the end of a Florida holiday.

Selected it from reviews here on TA and can't say we were disappointed. Beautiful 4th floor room with a balcony view overlooking the Marina - we could've sat there all day & just watched the changing scenery. It was weird seeing electronic gear on the yachts that's manufactured a mile from my house - & I was half a world away! LOL!

Lovely twin Queen room, with an old (but clean & functioning) fridge, microwave, coffee filter & toaster. Bathroom spotless.

Beds very cozy & firm enough for us.

The pool at the hotel is tiny - nice for a quick dip to wake up or chill down - but not for the serious swimmer.

Reception were lovely - & when we reported some minor faults that developed with equipment they were fixed within 30 minutes. Very impressed.

A few restaurants within walking distance, also pizza take out & a Subway. Usual trash beach shops & the ubiquitous Walgreens too. Felt safe walking around day & night.

By the way - the Hotel is now yellow - not white as in all the on-line photos. I suggested they update their website!

Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Southcoastgal
Reviewed September 27, 2008

I chose this hotel for a mini reunion with three old high school friends. We had a room on the top floor with a view of the marina. The room was clean, the beds were very comfortable and the A/C was cold. We spent a lot of time on the balcony which was shaded from the sun during most of the day. Porpoises swam through the channel nearby.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool was small, but we had it to ourselves. The location is convenient to the beach and nightlife (Sheppards has a live band on the weekends). The beaches are clean and white.

I highly recommend this hotel and would love to stay there again. It is an excellent value!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank hardyboyz
Reviewed September 3, 2008

My wife & I have one child, a 7 year old jack russell-beagle-basset mix still at home. We arranged what we were told was 'PET FRIENDLY' rooms at another establishment thru expedia, but for the 2nd time they (an employee) gave us bad info, gave the hotel scant, wrong info and we drove from Atlanta only to find out we could not stay there. I also specifically requested handicap qtrs which the hotel did NOT know. To their credit, after first talking with the owner to see if the pet rule was firm, the Gen'l Mgr, Debbie B, got on the phone immediately and made arrangements for us at the Chart House Suites! Because of her "Pro" attitude we will be pleased to stay at Comfort Suites when we are w/o the mutt-child. Debbie did all she couild to make things work, and we appreciated it. We understand rules. As a result we landed at the Chart House, met the always lovely Miss Rose Figeroa and had a stay that was enhanced by being able to peer out the window at the docks, yachts and water. The room was clean and well maintained. Miss Rose saw to our every need, helping us several times with our questions. I don't believe she had a room that was both handicap and pet friendly, but the child came first! We were just thrilled to have a place closer to my relatives, and one that provided several happy memories for my wife & me. Even with the dog it was such a romantic place that my wife has mentioned it several times to me, as well as to friends. Further, it was quiet at nite, but this was mid-August which I suspect is just out of tourist season.
The final word: Used expedia.com twice and had what could have been a disaster twice. They cost us considerable time & frustration finding a replacement hotel. (NCarolina) To their credit, expedia.com did refund both times, but the hoops I had to jump thru were particularly annoying and time consuming in both instances. I cannot afford this sort of inept service when arranging trips, so while I do not despise expedia.com, I do hold management responsible for having employees that say they have seen to my needs, but haven't.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Poppaham
Reviewed February 3, 2008

A friend told me about this hotel and after reading the reviews, I decided to try it for the Holidays. After speaking on the phone with the Manager (Rose), I was positive it would be a wonderful experience. Although she teased me about missing the cold weather at home, she was most helpful in finding things for me to do (she knows where to find anything).
They are in the process of fixing up the hotel, and I was assured by all the staff that all will be finished by spring.
The place was fantastic! The rooms were BIG and you couldn't ask for a better view, and it was great to wake up and see dolphins while I had my coffee on the balcony. I do agree that they need to update a bit, but I'm coming back after the spring break crowds leave to enjoy myself again, hopefully the construction by the beach will be finished by then.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank NYDIVA
Reviewed December 8, 2007

My wife and I have stayed here several times over the past twelve years or so and the place was going before we discovered it, so the description "new building...all new furnishings and amenities" is a bit of a stretch. We love it here but would be first to admit that this once new and immaculate property, with its delightful Nautical Moderne touches, has been allowed to gently run down over the years. On our most recent visit, we stayed in two different rooms: one had not been touched up in ages, the other had been freshened up recently with new paint, wallpapers, etc.

Don't get me wrong. The interiors are not at all shabby and the housekeeping is satisfactory. It's just that a firsttime visitor would probably notice things more. The balconies and balcony furnishings need much attention, as do the exterior stairwells, the pool area and adjacent patio, a thorough scrubdown at the very least and probably some kind of resurfacing. At night, the exterior lighting is inadequate, especially in the parking area, though we have come to realize that this is certainly a very safe area and we often walk to dinner over in the more touristy strip.

As other Tripadvisors have noted, the Chart House is in a quieter, more residential part of Clearwater Beach but not as isolated as, say, Sand Key--you can still walk to the main beach or local restaurants. There is good public bus service along here as well.

And as other Tripadvisors have noted, be sure to ask for a room on the marina side. The balconies face north and are shaded all day, with wonderful panoramic views to the Gulf on the west and the Intracoastal Waterway on the east. Of all the waterside places we've stayed it, this is the closest to actually being on a bobbing boat. The marina is only a few feet away: you can lie in bed in the morning or at night with the floor-to-ceiling patio doors open and enjoy the restful sights and sounds of this peaceful spot. All day long, pelicans and herons flap lazily up and down the inlet, the pelicans often stopping for spectacular diving exhibitions--sometimes you can hear the wind swishing through their wings as they come past low overhead.

The desk clerks have always been friendly and helpful and sometimes brew up coffee in the lobby. Rooms have small frig and microwave. There's an ice machine and vending machine if you need a quick snack at night or whatever, and a Walgreen's just a short stroll away that has food and liquor and beach supplies in addition to the drugstore.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple