“As cool and unpretentious as Clearwater Beach”

Seaside Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach
Ranked #51 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Chicago
“As cool and unpretentious as Clearwater Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

My 6 year old son and I (38, but look 36) traveled to Clearwater Beach primarily to see its resident celebrity, Winter the Dolphin. Being a typical dad, I tried my utmost to keep the trip on the cheap, while ensuring that we enjoyed a certain level of comfort and amenities. Travelodge Beach View Clearwater fit our needs perfectly.

We arrived at TPA at 2:30p on a Wednesday. We took a cab from the airport to the hotel, which took about 40 minutes and cost $67 with tip. We met Kathy at check in, and she generously offered (without our asking) to upgrade our room to one with a kitchenette. Needless to say, we accepted, and received a third floor room facing north at the entrance and with a balcony to the south overlooking the pool. From our front window we could see the beach and the Gulf of Mexico. The room had two double beds, a full bath, a kitchenette, and a dining area. It was remarkably spacious, and my son proclaimed it to be the best hotel room ever. For the two of us, I would have to wholeheartedly agree.

We knew from reading other reviews that this is an older property that the management has been working hard to update. The bathroom, bedding and kitchenette were spotlessly clean. Yes, the kitchenette is older, but it is certainly serviceable. The refrigerator and microwave oven were newer and worked perfectly. There was a supply of plates, cups and silver for four, a saucepan and frying pan, as well as a coffeemaker and coffee service items. Everything was very clean. The balcony had two chairs and a small table.

After unpacking we explored the immediate area, which was profuse with restaurants and surf shops. A Walgreens was an easy 10 minute walk south on Gulfview, and there was also a mini-golf course we meant to check out but never reached. We loaded up on snacks and drinks. The laid-back atmosphere down here is amazing, and I wouldn't be a true guy if I didn't express my appreciation of all the young ladies and their collective decisions to walk everywhere in bikinis.

We spent the balance of the afternoon at the pool, where my son quickly made friends. The pool was a little on the cool side, but only to an adult. In the afternoon the sun sinks behind the hotel building, and everything gets a little chillier this time of year. Still, it was the perfect size, with a shallow end at 3' 6", and a deep end at 6'. My son got to show off his cannonball skills, and had a great time retrieving dive rings from the bottom of the pool. I swam with him for a bit, and then ended up in conversations with other parents who were watching their kids. The hotel has such a cool, laid back feel to it that you just seem to naturally start talking with those around you. We took advantage of the pool all three days we were here.

Dinner was at Frenchy's South Beach, and was delicious. It is literally across the street. They made my son a cherry Coke, and we both enjoyed the grouper. He also ordered a cheeseburger off the children's menu, which he pronounced delicious. We followed this with a walk up the beach to Pier 60, where we enjoyed an amazing sunset, shell collecting, and a ride on the trampoline bungee contraption. It was a less than 5 minute walk back to the room where we stayed up far too late eating junk food and watching the hotel's extensive selection of cable TV channels. When we finally were ready to sleep, the noise from Beachview was negligible at most, and we heard nothing from our adjoining rooms.

The next morning we woke, cleaned up, and walked out our door into a horrible, smoky and smelly haze. This was the result of wildfires taking place some 200 miles north of Tampa. I found it remarkable that we could not smell this in our room, and weren't aware of it until we walked out the door.

We spent the entire day at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. On our way to breakfast we ran into one of our friends from the pool who was also going there. We agreed to split a cab ride. When the total fare was $5.25, I generously covered the cost for us all. We had originally planned to walk this, as the aquarium is only about 1 mile away, but I'm glad we didn't. The return trip, in heavier traffic at 4:30 in the afternoon, was only $6.10. If you are in Clearwater Beach to go Winter watching, the Travelodge Beach View Clearwater is an excellent base for your trip.

On our last day, we were scheduled to fly out at 7:45p, Kathy again expressed her generosity by granting us a late checkout to 12:30p (11a is the norm), and also offering to keep our bags behind her desk at check in until we left for the airport. This allowed us one more swim and a chance to shower before spending the rest of the day at the beach. All in all, it could not have been a more perfect trip.

Some final thoughts. First, my family usually stays in moderate to high end lodging. If you book at the Travelodge Beach View Clearwater's price point and are expecting Hyatt or Hilton, you will be gravely disappointed. I am dismayed at the reviews of this hotel by visitors who clearly had unrealistic expectations. If you need this level of service, the Hyatt is right up the street and will gladly accommodate you at four times the rate you will be charged here, and you can forget having free internet and breakfast. Breakfast here consisted of two kinds of cereal (Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran), prepackaged cookies and honeybuns, toast, English muffins, orange juice, apple juice, and coffee. If you need more, there is a McDonald's right down the street. The Internet was more than adequate for us to have video chats on Oovoo with the family back home. Don't expect to watch HD movies through Netflix. My son rarely hits his mouth when eating popcorn, and left a crummy mess on the floor. Housekeeping vacuumed every last kernel that I didn't clean up on my own. We walked around the room barefoot and our feet stayed clean. Again, if you have realistic expectations of what this hotel will provide, your experience will be much better and you won't feel compelled to write a horrible review solely because you made a bad decision as to where to book.

My son and I both enthusiastically give the Travelodge Beach View Clearwater two thumbs up, and hence our five star overall rating. I hope your trip here is as wonderful as ours.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank sdspearsjd
travel401, General Manager at Seaside Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
WOW...What more could I say. Thank you so much for this great review of us and beautiful Cleawater Beach and our famous Dolphin Winter.. You and son spent some special times together. It was a pleasure having you visit with us. Take care...........
Regards,Kathy & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Was staying one night in Clearwater Beach and didn't want to pay very much for a hotel. This was perfect!! Nothing fancy, just a room with two beds and a TV. Although they did have a small kitchen area, just didn't use it. The room was clean. The pool was clean. The location was perfect! Just what we needed without spending a fortune, Beach was right across the street and pier 60 was a short walk away.I will say the service was a little slow checking in, but to have a nice, clean, inexpensive room this place was great!

Room Tip: Best room was obviously on the gulf side. Top floor probably has a nice view. We were on the ground...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank blondie086
Thank you taking the time for our review. Hopefully the next time you can visit a little longer. take care...................
Kathy & Team
Petite Riviere, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

G. Hilchie
Petite Riviere
Nova Scotia

My wife and I stayed 17 nights at the Travelodge Clearwater Beach and were not disappointed. Our first time vacationing on this coast and wanted a place on the beach that we could roam around between Tarpon Springs and St. Petes and this was a good base.
When I first contacted Kathy she said she could arrange something for that time frame and a few days later she came up with a room which was perfect for us. You must know we don't like the high rise hotels but prefer the earlier style of 4 or 5 stories. The room had an excellent view of the beach and if you didn't want to go to the pier for the sunset it was just as beautiful from the balcony.
The staff were very helpful and answered any questions we had on the area. The cleaning staff did an excellent job on the room and although we didn't utilize the pool/sundeck area it always looked pristine and in a good hot area. The little kitchenette was great if we wanted breakfast in or a sandwich before heading out in the afternoon. For us the location was good for different beach locations, baseball and golf not to mention visiting friends vacationing in a few different areas north and south of Clearwater.
We had one little bump with parking but I guess that was a senior's moment and lessen learned.
The room itself was very quiet considering it was on the 3rd floor front of the building where you will get some loud bike noise but not much throughout the night.
All in all I would certainly stay here again and would recommend the hotel, for the purpose we looked for it suited us fine but as I said earlier this is the style of hotel we search for. We are not party animals but like to experience what the area has to offer.
I would like to thank Kathy and her staff for making our stay as comfortable as possible, this will be our choice the next time we are in Clearwater.

Room Tip: room 307 has an excellent view and having the fire lane between the hotel and street, it was not ver...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bluenosers1
What a great review and we appreciate your kind words so much. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit as we enjoyed having you stay with us. Your review will help others know just how beautiful Clearwater beach is. Take care and call when you are ready to make your next trip.
Kathy & Team
Irma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Short version: not the most up-to-date or grandest of hotels, but clean, priced right, and great location.
Long version: we were only here for one night (quick stop in Clearwater Beach) so we didn't want to spend too much on a room. Due to the reviews, i booked this hotel. They are all right. It's not the grandest of hotels, but the room was clean. The shower was hot. The bed was comfortable. There was a microwave and fridge. The location was great (walked to Pier 60, McDonald's right next door, beach across the walkway). Took the hint of asking for a 4th floor pool-view room - we had a beach view from our front window. The "hallway" to each room is an open balcony that you can see the beach from (see my picture) and the front window of the room has that view.
and also, i can't remember the name of the gentleman that checked us in (Jeff?) but he made us feel very welcome.
all in all, if your looking to not spend much $$ or much time in the room, but want the location and beach (view) this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank UPMiGal
Thank you for taking the time for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit even if its was only 1 night. Maybe next time you can stay longer. I will tell Jeff of your kind words. Take care..
Kathy & team
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

There are only a few hotels, within reasonable rates, that have this great location on Clearwater Beach. You can literally walk across the street and you're on the white, sandy beach. Whether you like to watch people or the incredible ocean sunset out your window, this Travelodge is a great stay. Frenchy's, a popular seafood cafe/bar, is two doors down which is typically full in the evenings.

Kathy, the General Manager, was helpful and very responsive from the point of making reservations, to making special requests and checking in. She'll be very honest with you in person and with email responses, of which she is extremely responsive. How often do you have the GM of a hotel personally respond to your emails! That's great customer service.

As for the accommodations, sure they are a little dated but very clean. Hot water went in and out from hot to warm, but not cold. Beds were comfortable and the AC worked extremely well, although the breeze in the evenings didn't require the AC on most nights (March). Nice to have a small kitchenette with small fridge in the room.

Pool area and outside common area is slightly dated, but well maintained and clean.

Drive time to and from the Tampa airport can be about 30-35 minutes, so don't expect a quick trip. Expect even longer on Saturday/Sundays.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean patio view. Can't go wrong with that view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
travel401, General Manager at Seaside Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Hi- Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy you had a nice time visiting with us.beautiful sunsets? Told you........................ Was that picture from your room or Pier 60? Our location is just so perfect, just across from one of the most beautiful beaches and of course great places to eat. Thank you for letting other people know about us. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Just call me or email me. Take care.....................
Regards.
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Two dudes on a golf vacation couldn't ask for any more. Location is perfect for walking to the many local hangouts. Kathy and her staff are amazingly helpful and will do what it takes to make your stay enjoyable. The property is older but the rooms are spacious and kept clean. If you don't realize that going in then shame on you. For the price at this location it is a steal! Better stock up on the Red Solo Cups cuz you have earned our business for years to come. Thanks again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eric B
Thank you so, so much for taking the time for our review. Weather was perfect for your golf and it was so great meeting you both. We had a lot of laughs. I will have red cups available for you next visit, just call me once you know the dates. (no bottles allowed in pool area, in case someone is wondering about the red cups) Take care..............
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

We booked this room due to the good reviews on TripAdvisor. Great location! We arrived early and our room was ready, Kathy at the desk was very helpful! For the cheaper rate we didn't have much of a view but we didn't care. The area is beautiful and I hope we can go back soon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mom04bys
Hi- Thank you so much for taking the time for the review and I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Also thank you for your kind words.......................Hope to see you again soon. Just give me a call.......Take care.