“Great staff and great value in an older hotel”

Seaside Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach
Ranked #54 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Top notch staff! Every employee was courteous and went out of their way to make sure everything was as it should be! I cannot rave enough about everyone I came into contact with. The accomodations are definitely older and the beds are not comfortable. They are older, and frankly, for the AMAZING location and price, I have no complaints. My only real complaint is that the "free wireless" is misleading. I was unable to ever connect to the internet. Unfortunately, for me, this was a major problem as I could not conduct any of the business I needed to right away. Luckily, I was able to hop on the wifi next door at the Red Roof Inn and finally got some thing accomplished. If had known about this problem, I would have picked somewhere else due to my needs. I hope they fix it in the future, otherwise I won't be able to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Prinsassjo
travel401, General Manager at Seaside Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time for your review and kind words. I am sorry you had problems with the wifi. This is a matter that is being looked into and hope to have corrected soon. For some reason certain parts of the building is not picking up our signal and this is what we are taking care of. We are also in the process of getting new beds and bedding. We already have some of our rooms with the new beds and bedding and yes they do look nice. Our guests who have been here have noticed the difference and told us they had a great night sleep on new beds. We are also trying to update other parts of our rooms the best we can. Call me directly when you know your plans. I will make sure you are in a room where you will have no problems with the wifi. Looking forward to hear from you. Take care......
Regards

There are newer reviews for Seaside Inn & Suites Clearwater Beach

Reviewed March 28, 2011

I can't say enough about Kathy and her team. I made reservations in Aug for our stay in March and it was everything Kathy promised - and more! We asked for a 4th floor room with a balcony view of the gulf and that's exactly what we got. The room was very clean and comfortable but most of all it was quiet. I think Kathy and her team run a tight ship and they do a good job of controlling any wannabe spring breakers form disrupting the place. There were a number of "young" seniors there during our stay and I think we all appreciated the peace and quiet.

Thanks Kathy. It was great - we'll be back.!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MooresMills7

Thank you so much for taking the time for this review and your kind words. It was our pleasure having you stay with us. March is a great time to come to Clearwater Beach. Over the years March break has become more for families than spring breakers. Of course having the Phillies, Yankees and Blue Jays spring training here has been wonderful. We met some wonderful people and of course our return guests that come every year for the Phillies spring training. We always have a great time when they arrive. Let me know when you are ready for your next visit. Remember, March is a busy month for us, our Phillie fans book sometimes 6-8 months in advance to secure the type of rooms they always reserve. Some have already reserved before they even left us. Take care...........
Regards, Kathy & Travelodge Team

Reviewed March 24, 2011

Although the commom areas of the hotel and the kitchens and bathrooms definitely need up dating. The location and staff make up for all that. The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. Kathy and her staff made everything easy and were so very helpful. I will definitely be booking next year. The views were spectacular and Thanks for the tips on the great resturants in the area

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

So glad you enjoyed your visit with us. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. You are correct that the building needs some work. We hope to start painting again after the season. I am trying to decide what color to paint the doors(remember I am a women so I keep changing my mind) any suggestions? My email address is on our Travelodge.com web page. I am open for suggestions. Hopefully by end of year all our rooms will have the new beds and bedding. Call me when you are ready to make your new plans for your next visit.
Take care,
Sincerely

Reviewed March 11, 2011

Just returned from three weeks in the Travelodge. We were hugely impressed with everything, the location, the service et al. The location is perfect with plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance. Housekeeping staff were excellent. Met some wonderful people who frequent the Travelodge year after year and we felt very much at home. Kathy Mittler and her staff were wonderful and extremely helpful. We would absolutely recommend the Travelodge and we are looking forward to returning in the near future!

Joan and Michael Nolan, Dublin, Ireland

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi- It was great to have you visit with us for the 3 weeks. You are part of our Travelodge family and we are looking forward to next year. We get a lot of pleasure when our guests are happy and are having a good time. We look forward to this time of the year, because so many of our dear guests return and as soon as they walk thru our door it feels like family is visiting. Its so good to see everyone and we do have a lot of fun together.
Call me once you know your dates for next year. Take care.
Kathy & Travelodge team

Reviewed March 4, 2011

We were extremely pleased with our stay here. The price is a great value, the rooms are kept very clean and the ease of walking across the street to the beach is the icing on the cake! The staff(Sean) was very friendly and helpful. The cont. breakfast is great for a quick start to your day. This was our first time staying here and I am reserving a room already for next February. Travelodge keep up the great work!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad Sean was able to assist you and you enjoyed your visit with us. Yes, we have a great location and a beautiful beach. Did you get to go to Pier 60 for the beautiful sunsets? Call us when you are ready to visit with us again. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We get to meet such great people. Take care

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Cards on the table from the start; we chose this hotel as it had good ratings here and we assumed it would have a minimum standard similar to the Travelodge brand in the UK - WRONG!

The basic problem is that this hotel has under-invested in any renovation (in fact have they spent anything, I wonder?) for the past twenty years by the look of it. It is all so tired and run down and NOTHING like a UK Travelodge in terms of decor etc.

On the plus side the staff were helpful and friendly and clearly an effort is made to provide a clean room for guests - nice little folded towel animal shapes and so forth.
But as the old expression goes, you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

The reception area is in good condition as is the pool area but there it ends. The moment you get to the lift 'area' the problems start to show. Faded paint, broken lift, an old vinyl floor in the lift, it looks like something from a 1960's tower block - only the smell of stale urine (thankfully absent) would have been needed to complete the picture!

The exterior walkways to the rooms show the same lack of care, with peeling paint and an uncared for appearance.

I apprecaiet that being from the UK Iprobably dont appreciate how humid and hot the Florida atmosphere gets in high summer, but even allowing for this, surely eventually the owners have to spend some money on repairing, replacing or repainting all the rusty ironwork.

Similalry inside the rooms, the wallpaper is bubbling off the wall, presumably from damp. Tiles are broken in the kitchenette, door jambs and skirtings need repainting and the carpet is long overdue replacement.

In the bathroom there is mould and dirt in the sliding window tracks - damp induced, once again. The 'white' paintwork everywhere is looking very tired..

Our room had a connecting 'hear through' door to the next room - very flimsily secured. The coffee maker had loose wiring - but we got it working without electrocution - just!

To summarise - the staff have clearly made an effort to provide a clean room and were friendly and helpful at check in, but the hotel infrastructure needs massive investment to come anywhere near the sort of standard that UK travellers associate with the Travelodge brand and pricing.

In fairness we were hunting for rooms in peak season, so hadn't much choice, however a glance across either side of the road to the neighbouring hotels at similar prices clearly showed a higher standard of care - externally, at least.

1  Thank GCClark

Thank you for taking the time for your review. I do understand what you are saying. I do want you to know that we are constantly working on the exterior of our building. The salt air from our beautiful beach keeps us busy. Our building gets painted at least twice a year. I am at this time setting up a time to repaint our exterior doors. Just trying to decide on the color. We are also in the process of getting new beds and bedding. We can only do a little bit at a time but I believe we will be completed by end of the year. We are also trying to update other areas the best we can. I do hope you give us another try on your next visit to Beautiful Clearwater Beach. I have a lot of return guests from the UK that we see every year and always meeting new guests who come to Clearwater Beach who enjoyed their visit with us and will return. Thank you again, I always like to see what our guests see and we take their comments very seriously. Take care.
Regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We verified our Hotel.com reservations with this hotel prior to our arrival. To our surprise, they were not what was promised by Hotels.com. We spoke with Kathy and she happily changed everything to what we origianally wanted. This was a lesson to us not to use Hotels.com or any third party agency for reservations. We will always deal with the hotel. We are looking forward to our stay, especially if this is the quality of service that we will receive. Thank you for your help, Kathy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

HI- thank you for taking the time for your review. I was glad to be able to fix yor travel plans. It is always better to go to hotels web page(no matter which hotel you are staying at) there you will see what the hotel offers and you can see exactly what you are reserving. Third party web sites do not know our properties and I have heard that they make promises that are not true. They sell rooms. If you do use a 3rd party web site, it is always a good idea to call the hotel directly or email them to have your reservation checked before your arrival date. This will give the hotel the time to see if they can correct any errors. The best place to go if you want to book on line is the hotels web site.
It was a pleasure meeting you and your family.