“Above Average - and it is!”

Above Average Charters
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went on a 6 hour fishing trip with Above Average from Clearwater in Aug 2012 - being myself, my husband, my (quite old!) dad, my two sons (chalk and cheese!). Although Captain Richard is not the most talkative of people, he was very pleasant, polite and made sure we found some fish. We wanted to catch fish we could eat, and we caught spanish mackeral and baraccuda (excuse spellings if they are wrong), and we threw back some others that were not edible - and my son also caught three fish already bitten in half!! Although there was a threat of a storm, Captain Richard kept a close eye on the weather, checked if we minded getting wet (no) and made sure we got out full time out on the water - in the end we didn't get wet anyway. There is a toilet (head?) on the boat - just a warning if you are not that agile, it is a steep step down and back up again. We had photos taken of out catch, Captain Richard cleaned the fish for us - that's an experience to watch in itself - and then packed it up in loads of ice for us. we all enjoyed the day, which says something as my sons do not usually enjoy the same things. There are two "fishing chairs" but there are other bench type seats to sit on, and we had three rods going which I thought at the start was a bit off as there were five of us, but obviously they know from experience that sometimes you don't want to fish but sit and enjoy being on the sea. I would recommend a trip with Above Average - if you have any questions Helen is extremely friendly and helpful - make sure you take a cooler (we got a $2.99 one from Walmart!) to take you catch home in - or you could take it over the road to Crabby Bills for them to cook it.

All reviews
"reeling"
in 11 reviews
"filleted"

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Small friendly and highly professional family business, diligent to safety with superb fishing and dedicated to complete consumer satisfaction.Good quality fishing gear in excellent condition, loads of fresh ice for the fish because with luck you will need it.The boat is in good order and well kept with two mighty powerful engines.You can trust Richard the owner - skipper, to give you the best possible chance of a FANTASTIC day.I would not hesitate to re book as I know it's are a hard act to follow.!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We were complete novices with two teenage boys who wanted to catch big....and we weren't disappointed! We caught a huge amount of fish, all different types. Captain Richard was friendly, knowledgable and really professional. We had an amazing time, the boys say it was the best day of the holiday, thank you!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Captain Rich took us shark fishing on Tuesday July 3'd. The seas were still recovering from a nasty tropical storm, but we still had a great time and had lots of action starting with a 7 foot nurse shark. I love to fish, but for this trip my goal was simply to make the trip memorable for my kids. Mission accomplished! I'm attaching some pictures. My favorite is the 'kiss the shark' one!

I could tell Rich is a father -- he really made the trip enjoyable for my kids. In fact they commented to me on how much fun he was and they would go again. Seeing land while fishing was important to them and we caught our fish about 2 miles from Clearwater beach. Also, I appreciated it that he was considerate and asked if it was ok to smoke.

I'd highly recommend Above Average Charters. We were only in Clearwater for a week and wished we could have fished again. Helen was very kind on the phone and helped with my decision on what type of fishing 3 teens would like.

Thanks Rich and Helen and I hope to see you guys soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We were a party of 3 women on vacation in the Tampa area. I was a little hesitant not knowing how a boat captain would be with an all female charter of novices but my daughter was really looking forward to catching a big fish so I emailed. Right away, Helen called and she was friendly and helpful. We had an amazing day. We laughed and got to know Capt. Rich and had a wonderful time. We will not forget it. He was a gentleman and he was a great Captain as well. He really cared that we had a good fishing experience and we sure did. My daughter had the thrill of hauling her really big king mackerel over the side and more. After fishing Captain Rich cleaned our catch for us and packaged it. We took part of our catch to Crabby Bills and it was delicious! The rest we fed to a crowd of 7 the next day and boy, were we proud. The boat is in a perfect spot right next to Clearwater beach. It was a beautiful day! Thanks, Rich and Helen. We loved it!