“Blueberry Pancakes”

Ranked #13 of 700 Restaurants in Clearwater
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Voted best breakfast and lunch in Tampa Bay area. Diner style food. Southern charm.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Blueberry Pancakes”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Great place to mix with the locals - amazing blueberry pancakes, good vibe and great coffee what more do you want to start the day!

Kissimmee, Florida
“Great fun and wonderful value”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Servers are there year in and out. Very nice people.
Sometimes we go twice a day--early for breakfast and later for lunch and that holds us all day.

Belleair Beach, Florida
“Monstrously inconsistent in food quality, cleanliness, and service. Just hope luck is on your side when YOU go!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've gone to this Sand Key (not Clearwater) location several times and have given it many chances because it is close to me. I've held off on writing a review because I was truly hoping that I could ultimately comment positively but sadly that is not going to happen.

First, its a very small location and their kitchen is literally the size of a walk-in closet so its not surprising that its hard for them to execute on a consistent basis.

Second, its always very busy for breakfast if you get there after 9am on the weekends. They have about 7 booths, the rest tables (7 with 2 outside), and about 5 to 6 counter seats and let me tell you, its a tight fit at the counter. The reason for the busy location is not the food but the convenience. You see amongst ALL the condos in Sand Key this is the ONLY breakfast place that is even slightly decent. The other option is to cross the Clearwater bridge and have breakfast at the even more poorly run tourist restaurants.

Okay, back to the review:
I sat at the counter as there was only 1 other patron as the sign-in sheet had a long wait.
The counter itself was still dirty and had dishes left from the last guests sitting there. Also, many other dirty tables were waiting to be bussed. There also seemed to be a shortage of silverware as they were literally rolling it as people seated; despite the fact that one tall waitress had apparently rolled hers already (her side work duties) but was telling everyone "hands off".

I order my usual: Mom's Best which is 2 eggs poached soft, bacon crisp, grits (w/cheese) wheat toast dry, and coffee w/skim or 2%. My soggy bacon this morning tasted like ham which means, in their busy state both ham and bacon were cooking next to each other and apparently the ham is more flavorful than the bacon. In any case I was disappointed as well as disgusted. They now must use some sort of poaching dish that must be placed in a shallow non-stick water well because while my eggs were "soft" in the yolk, the whites seemed almost fried. The toast was slightly burnt but at least it was dry and the grits were very grainy and the cheese was slightly bitter and tasted almost like it contained some bleu cheese. So the cheese may have been going bad.

Just very disappointed in what I believe is a very easy dish to execute. Breakfast is not hard if you can cook and I can.

The service was its usual: they smile and act all interested when they're at your table but you are hard pressed to actually get service without pressing them with requests. They're running around all the time and take tables in some order versus having an actual "station" which means they could be running all over the place which is usually the case and clearly the reason for the spotty service.

I'm not saying they don't try but its simply not set up well. End of story. The super small kitchen, the server station (coffee) is behind tables in the corner, they're clearly not organized to even have silverware rolled the night before so there's plenty for the breakfast opening.

I'm sorry, but I won't be going back nor can I in good conscious recommend it.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank insider64
Hornsea, United Kingdom
“Lovely Breakfast!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were staying close by and decided to pay a visit. It's a very popular place, and I can see why. Good service, good menu and very reasonably priced. The breakfast we had was lovely, and my husband could probably write a guide book on breakfasts!

Pennsylvania
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

A great little spot for breakfast. I know they are open for lunch also but I ate breakfast there. Huge menu to choose from and everyone at our table was happy with their food. Friendly staff great service and you can sit outside and enjoy the view