“Poor Bar Service and Atmosphere”

Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa, Canada
“Poor Bar Service and Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were driving around the Beach Walk of Clearwater - early for our dinner reservation at a nearby restaurant. We decided to try the bar in the Hyatt and check out the hotel generally. We found our way to what seemed to be the bar area. At a "welcoming" desk there were several young people chatting to each other. When we stopped in front of them we were asked if we could be helped!!! We said we were just there for a drink and we were waved casually to a table for four people near by and told that someone would come to serve us. The area was very open with seating too low to see out the windows to the Gulf - which is what we were hoping for - and there was no lounge-type seating, just hard chairs at normal height tables. The floors were all tiled and the whole atmosphere was cold, exposed and uncomfortable. I understand that the hotel management may have to deal with sand coming into the hotel but in a bar one wants to feel relaxed and cosy. There was only one other table occupied by a group of about 6 people.

After a while I decided to look for the washrooms, but was surprised, on returning, to find no-one had been to our table to serve us. I went up to the bar where two staff members were chatting - no other guests were around - and said we wanted to order drinks. They seemed surprised.

We checked out the outdoor area, which would have been a much more pleasant place to enjoy a cocktail but found that it had been reserved for a wedding party.

The hotel seems to be providing lots of employment to the youth of the area - but please invest in some training for them. This is not what we expect from a luxury-class hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear your experience was less than satisfactory. We will be sure to pass your feedback on so that we can train our associates. Please feel free to contact us if you'd like to discuss this further.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Prescott, AZ
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely new hotel overlooking the Gulf, with fantastic views. However, they lack inside amenities, such as more than one restaurant, a nice cocktail lounge, and outside eating protected from winds & weather. The rooms are VERY spacious, with kitchens, which can be helpful with families.
The restaurant was very disappointing as it has a cold feeling, and also actually cold! We had no other choices.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large, with beautiful views....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sequel
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Can't say enough good things about the Hyatt Regency on Clearwater beach. On arrival we discovered we had been upgraded from a one bedroom suite to a two bedroom suite and we loved the additional space. The kitchen was useful for preparing breakfast and a few snacks, and we made good use of the refrigerator. I can't imagine actually cooking a meal there. The utensils and saucepans were only very basic. We had a gorgeous panoramic view of the beach and the ocean and sitting out on the balcony was heavenly. I recommend the SHOR restaurant for dinner. The location right on the beach is perfect and my two children loved the pool. I would have preferred not to pay the $25 daily resort fee or the $16 daily parking fee but I was well-warned of this in advance so it didn't come as a shock. I would definitely go back to the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Reserve an ocean view room, well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JoannaP28
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear JoannaP28;

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. Often, we'll hear enthusiastic feedback from our guests about the wonderful views our rooms have of the Gulf. We'll recognize our Executive Chef from SHOR, with regards to the delicious food prepared. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back with us again!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I was disappointed the minute I stepped through the doors at the Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa and thought maybe I was in the wrong hotel.
I am so use to the higher in Hyatt Regency`s such as Orlando and my favorite Bonita Springs having such beautiful lobbies with welcoming staff waiting to help you. I would also like to add that my two night stay in Clearwater Hyatt was bought with my Hyatt membership points that I have accumulated over the past year from all my Hyatt stays. So this review is coming from someone that knows what is normally expected when staying at your higher in Hyatt resort. For the amount of points it cost me for two nights I could have stayed 5 to 8 nights at a regular Hyatt and would have probably received more of a resort service/feel. I am so disappointed that I wasted my points at this Hyatt resort for my 21st wedding Anniversary. The lobby is so drab I don`t even remember seeing pictures on the walls or even a flower arrangement and rather than having smiley happy staff waiting to help you, you have a do it yourself check in computer. After staring at the computer for a few minutes a young guy came out from the back and we asked what are we supposed to do and he said, you can check in yourself or I can help you if you want me too.

However, the hotel was very clean and our room was very spacious with a huge bathroom. They have a small pool on the 8th floor, not your typical huge resort size pool/pools and the hot tub is on the 16th floor. There are no gift shops or convenient store inside the hotel; you have to walk next door to the surf shop. If you have kids I would not recommend this hotel. Also, most Hyatt resorts offer valet parking for $20 a day and free self parking. Not at Hyatt Clearwater, they charge $13 for self parking. Oh, did I mention you have to ask for feather pillows and the bed was horrible! I feel like I still have the springs stuck in my back. I will stay at your Higher in Hyatt resorts again, but this is not what I would consider being a higher in Hyatt, nor do I feel I should have been charged at a higher point status for this Hyatt and I will never stay or recommend this hotel to anyone that is use to a real Hyatt Regency experience because they would be very disappointed as I am and wish I had used my points elsewhere!

Room Tip: Go to Orlando Hyatt 45 minutes away or Hyatt Bonita Springs 2 hours and 45 minutes south of clearwat...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LaurieDurrell
tennessee
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent a girls weekend getaway at the Aqualea Hyatt on Clearwater Beach. I have always loved Clearwater Beach and the Hyatt is a great addition to Beach walk.
Had a 2 bedroom suite that was roomy and decorated very tastefully. 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen was definately a plus. While we didn't cook any meals, it was nice to have a full size refrigerator to store snacks and have ice available.
Pool area on the 8th floor was very nice with plenty of chairs. Beach towels were provided and if I had a complaint, the towels would be it. They were small and very thin. Not worth the $25 resort fee. But thats the only complaint. Bar by the pool was great. Walk out the front door nd you are on the beach!

The best thing about this hotel was the friendliness of the staff. No one passed you without asking if everything was ok and thanking you for staying.

It may be a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jfhtn
Dear jfhtn:

Thank you for going out of your way to share about your girls getaway at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed relaxing by the pool. Hyatt takes great pride with our associates offering great customer service. They will be recognized as such. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your friends back, for another relaxing weekend. Your referral is greatly appreciated.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Clearwater spring break 2012 and we had a great time. On the positive side, there are many attractions and restaurants near the hotel and the rooms were quiet, large and comfortable. The room was very spacious, had a great bathroom and had a small kitchenette and eating area, which made it easy to provide snacks for the kids. On the down side, we had to pay for parking, the beach was not exclusive to the hotel and was across the street and the hotel restaurant food and service were not great. Overall, we had a good experience and the hotel did have a very nice pool if you didn't want to deal with the crowds at the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sonia T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We decided to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary at the Hyatt in Clearwater. What a great experience! From the glass of champagne at check-in to the Engineering staff, they exceeded our expectations in most every way. And the few times they didn’t, they immediately recognized it and made up for it in spades. Our 2-bedroom suite was outstanding and the view of the Gulf from our balcony was fabulous. There were a couple of glitches at the Shor Restaurant, but overall the food was fantastic. The pool was terrific, and the rooftop hot tub was the perfect ending to the cool October evenings. Having just endured hurricane Sandy, we wish we could be there right now!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank praiseplayer
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your anniversary. It's great to hear our staff was able to help make your special vacation one to remember. We're pleased our staff went above and beyond your expectations. We will be sure to pass your compliments on. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate