Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Nice hotel, very friendly staff, probably a little overpriced (esp. since it is not on the beach), definately a problem with the air conditioning system, as it does a poor job of removing humidity from the room which remained damp throughout our stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Travelinsider

Reviewed August 13, 2006

Just stayed 2 nights and in my opinion the hotel is outdated(except for the lobby). The Clearwater Beach area as whole seems to need a major updating. It is about a 10 minute walk to the beach which is not bad but not close enough to go back and forth to your room. This hotel is probably a good choice among what the area offers for hotels. The beach was great but I expecetd more from the Marriott for the price...there was nothing that wowed me. The "suites" were a little bigger than a normal room with a mini fridge and a sink. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. I just don't think that this hotel should be advertised as an luxury hotel. It may have been in 1980 but not in 2006. $150.00 per night would be the most I would pay for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006
9  Thank jsd2643
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I booked this hotel based on the positive reviews I had read. A few days prior to our trip there were several new reviews that had me questioning my choice.

I was prepared for the worst (smelly, damp room, cramped bathroom...) but was pleasantly surprised after arrival. The room was not damp and musty and the bathroom was the same size as a hotel bathroom. This is a Marriott Suites, not Marriot Vacation Resort. The room size is similar to what you would find at an Embassy Suites or Amerisuites. In fact, the masterbedroom was larger than one at a Hyatt Vacation Club condo we just visited.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the staff was outstanding. When we called down for some extra blankets and pillows, they were delivered within minutes and then there was a follow-up phone call about 10 minutes later to make sure we got the items.

This happened any time we needed something. Someone always called to make sure we got the items requested.

I also recommend not waiting for the shuttle to take you to Sand Key Beach. We did this the first day...had to wait 15 minutes for the van and where they dropped you off, was quite a hike to the beach. It is much quicker to walk down the pathway besides the Sheraton. That beach wasn't as "shelly" as Sand Key and the beach chairs to rent were better (they went flat and had cushions and the others didn't).

If you go on a weekend, the pool is more crowded and they ran out of towels for a 20-30 minute time span, so make sure you get down to the pool before 2-3 pm for beach towels on the weekend. During the week, it wasn't a problem and the pool wasn't nearly as crowded.

It is a very family-oriented resort. Our 11 year-old daughter really enjoyed all of the crafts Lisa's Clubhouse offered....also had poolside bingo and movies at the pool after sunset.

It is also very convenient to be located on the Boardwalk. Someone had mentioned Maggie Mae's for breakfast....ditto for that recommendation. The hotel breakfast buffet was okay but overpriced for what they had. Maggie Mae's had a much better selection for a fraction of the price. You may have to put your name on the wait list, but you don't wait long.

Watercolors for dinner was excellent, not overpriced compared to other upscale restaurants in the area. We had excellent service for dinner. Lunch at Watercolors was similar to breakfast...okay and not the same service as the evening crew.

Overall, a great experience and I would recommend it. We had a family of 4 and were quite comfortable with all of the accomdations.

9  Thank happytexastraveler
Reviewed July 28, 2006

We recently stayed at the Marriott Clearwater suites to recover from 2 weeks in Orlando (World Center Marriott, see review) and recover we did. We have 2 kids 16 and 14. Chose this over the Sheraton for the extra room.
On arrival we went to our room, it was on the end of the north side and thanks to a previous report (this is why this website is invaluable) knew what to expect. It was on the 4th floor right above the hotels air-conditioning plant, which sounded like a cross between an old hillbillies moonshine still and a first world war fighter planes engine. Refused the room and was told the only others available were above or below the origional room. After a few unhappy looks at the front desk girl, she said ' oh wait a minute I have found a free upgrade suite on the 9th floor, in the middle of the hotel still overlooking the harbour. This was good.
The suite was clean and much bigger than our other hotel. Although it did smell damp by the balcony door and the bathroom was small. But the view from the balcony was amazing. We watched Dolphins dailey, Pelicans were so funny, graceful Manatties, massive Devil fish (rays) on the last 2 days and lots more.
The hotel design did seem dated and not built on a very big site as everything was crammed in around the pool area.The pool was clean, fairly small and the sun loungers were tightly packed in. And the kids pool is a small hole in the ground.
The food in both the resturant and bar were as expensive, as the pricey World Center, so we ate in Backwater along the boardwalk (2 mins walk) Greatttttttt ! although one of the staff was unfriendly)
THIS HOTEL IS NOT ON THE BEACH!!! and there is only one golf cart to take you to the beach which takes 10 minutes. so if there is a que forget it. ***TOP TIP*** across the road on the left is a public path to the beach 5 minutes walk and you are on the beach. As there is NO public carpark nearby we were almost on our own, Far far better than the part of the beach were the golfcart drops you off and you still have to walk!
More tips... Dont eat at the places on the discount brochures as they are rubbish. They have no locals eating there and rely on one off tourits visits.
Take the Dolphin Racer trip at St Petes Beach, my kids enjoyed it more than all the theme park rides put together!!!
You do need a car here. Although the hotel did take us to Clearwater for free!!
Don't use the fitness center as it rubbish, It is there to increase the hotels rating.
Don't bother going to Clearwater beach as it was packed. Ok the sand was fine but the carparks were very busy and the water seemed dirty.
The Busch gardens rollercoasters were amazing, far better the Orlando..
And don't stroke Lisa the parrot
********SEE GOOGLE EARTH for hotel and location*********
If you are a couple who crave the beach and fitness center lifestyle choose the Sheraton. If you have a family choose the Mariott, the view and wildlife in the harbour is amazing. We did enjoy our hoilday here, but after the stress of Orlando a tent on the beach would have done!!!

9  Thank bigwaverider9
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I was not at all impressed by the Marriott Suites in Clearwater Beach. I did a lot of research prior to our trip -- I wanted to find a family friendly hotel as this was our first vacation with our 18 mth old daughter. I chose this hotel b/c of the separate bedroom as I wanted a place to put her to sleep so the rest of us could stay up later. The big negative was the room. To start, the rooms are extremely small, much smaller than they appear in the pictures. That in itself is not a huge problem, but since there were 4 of us, it was hard to manuver around in the tiny bathroom. More importantly, the room was not clean at all. After 5 minutes of walking in there barefoot, all of our feet were completely black! It was disgusting so we had to wear socks or shoes the whole time in the room. The other problem was the moisture in the room. The room constantly felt "wet". Nothing would dry...I had to wash my daughter's bottles by hand and they would not dry at all. All of our clothes hanging in the closets felt wet and the sheets got that way too. My other issue was the noise...they play very loud music at the pool until 10 or 11 at night. All rooms face the pool and the rooms are not soundproof at all. It kept us awake until they stopped, then we'd be woken up again at 2:30 AM to hear our neighbors having discussions. The walls are paper thin! Another reason I booked at this hotel was the fact that they had a child's wading pool. Maybe this is just me, but in the picture they showed, the wading pool looked much bigger! It is really a small hole in the ground, not at all like the picture!!

On the positive side, the staff is very friendly and helpful. It should be noted that I did not complain about our issues while there simply b/c we had so much stuff and I didn't want to pack up again and move to another room where we probably would have had the same problems. We ended up checking out early, which they let me do for no charge. All in all, I was disappointed in our stay here and would definitely not stay here again.

4  Thank Brenna2006
Reviewed July 23, 2006

The hotel is situated in a beautiful area. The pool is nice and you are right on the ocean. It was a very busy hotel and had a very commercial feel to it. The restaurants and bars are ok but you better come with a boatload of money. They also had numerous company outings and meetings going on during our stay which made the pool really crowded during the day. The rooms were average, nothing special. It cost us a lot of money to stay here and I don't think I would do it again..

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled with family
2  Thank Kirstini
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Have just return from 5 nights at Marriott Suites on Sand Key, with my husband and 2 children aged 9 and 11. We had a fantastic time at this hotel and we were really impressed with the standard of service and friendliness of staff. We had a room on the 9th floor overlooking the pool area. The pool and surroundings were large and inviting. There was live music for a couple of hours every day which you could also enjoy from your room if the balcony door was open. There was background music at other times - this along with the poolside bar and food service made up to a lovely holiday/carnival atmosphere around the pool which we loved. We had no difficulty getting sunbeds even at the busy weekend time. Our children loved the range of poolside activities which took place each day. They particulary loved Lisa's late nite which consisted of dinner in the clubhouse from a nice menu, followed by arts and crafts and a movie - they liked the food and the childcare staff and socialising with other kids from other countries. This activity was from 5.30 - 8.30 on some evenings. My husband and I could then enjoy memorable meals at Columbia restaurant next door to the hotel and accessable by a short stroll along the boardwalk. The suite was nice and bright and the view from the balcony amazing. The best thing about having the suite was that we could put the children to bed, and stay in the room next door, watch TV or chat without disturbing them. The breakfast buffet had a large variety of food and was very nicely cooked and presented. The apple crepes were absolutely divine - I have never tasted crepes so meltingly good. The children liked the fresh fruit and chocolate milk was a bit of a novelty. The consierge was so helpful with lots of local information and easy to follow directions and tips. We had one trip to the Westfield Countyside Mall which is about 30/40 minutes drive away - this was a great shopping mall with an icerink in the centre. There were plenty of choices of restaurant in clearwater for dinner. Our favourite was Frenchy's Rockaway which is on the beach - delicious food and you can catch the sunset. We would definatley return to this hotel, we really enjoyed our stay, I would recommend it to families in particular.

8  Thank ABSH44