“Excellent Friendly Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
“Excellent Friendly Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2005

We used this site when researching our holiday and vowed to reveiw the hotels as we found it very helpful. We stayed here with our 2 daughters aged 9 & 6 for 4 days from the 6th January 05. It was a perfect way to relax and finish off our holiday after spending 2.5 weeks in orlando doing disney and the other theme parks. The staff were very welcoming, the kids loved Lisa the parrott who resides in the main reception area which is pleasant and welcoming. The room had plenty of space & the beds very comfortable. The view from the 10th floor was fantastic and we saw 2 dolphins frolicking just a few hundred feet away from the shore. The pool was excellent although the waterfall is very nosiey. The staff around the pool were very friendly and effiicient. The Kids club was a great hit with our girls. All in all an excellent friendly hotel.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2004

We stayed at the Marriott in May 2004 for 5 nights and loved it. The staff were always very friendly and helpful. Our room was wonderful and much better than we expected. It was newly renovated and beautifully decorated. The bed was so comfortable....just like home. The pool area was very nice and the "kiddie pool" was great for our son who loved every minute of it. The food by the pool was good and handy if you wanted to stay by the pool for the day. The shops and restaurants on the boadwalk were also very good. Lisa, the bird in the lobby was also a big hit with the little ones. We would definitely recommend the Marriott to anyone and we can't wait to go back again!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2004

Just back from a week at this hotel with our 4 kids.Has everything a family or couple could look for .The trolly to the beach makes you feel special with beach towels and iced water thrown in.

Every facility works and is staffed in the correct way .Nothing too much trouble for the staff and even the management pitch in when it gets busy.
Only down side and why it did not get 5 blobs is the price of the restaurants and drinks which are pitched for the corporate market and not those without an expence account! Otherwise excelent hotel -go for the 9/10 Floors at the south end of the building and watch out for the dolphins.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kent, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2004

Before I start with my review I must stress that when my husband and I stayed here in May 2002 the hotel was still a Radisson and I now understand it has been taken over by Mariott and renovated, although I would never risk a trip back to this hotel to find out what it's like now!

We stayed for 9 nights through a package tour from the UK booked with Virgin Holidays. When we arrived at the hotel I just wanted to cry, it was so shabby. We very nearly turned round and drove down the coast to the Naples area which we know is nice (and have since returned to to get married). We found Clearwater to be tacky (although the beach was beautiful) but this hotel was just dreadful.

The hotel is an old building and I found the outide walkways dangerous. The lobby was terribly dated, as were the rooms. When we initially booked we had high expectations as it is an all-suite resort but to be honest the suites were so tiny they would have been better off just being regular rooms. Our room was grubby, the furnishings, wallpaper, bedcovers etc were horrible clashing colours and very dated. The bathroom was so tiny you could barely get in and shut the door behind you. The lounge/kitchenette area was small and the tv/stereo were ancient. We were also right next to the service elevator and above the air conditioning unit so it was noisy. I know the suites have since been refurbished by the Marriott and I'm sure it's now much nicer but the size of the rooms must still be the same. On the plus side the view across the sea from the balcony was lovely, although it is important to note that the hotel is not on the beach.

The pool area was OK and bigger than the pool at the Sheraton across the street (although the Sheraton is on the beach so I guess more people use the beach than the pool). The gym was a joke - there was a handful of machines but they were so old and looked really unsafe.

I have read some good reviews about the restaurants in the hotel and also on the adjoining boardwalk, however as a vegetarian I found them disappointing. Out of all the restaurants in and around the hotel there was only one vegetarian option and it was a starter. I asked at the restaurants whether they would prepare me a vegetarian dish and I was told no because "if you don't eat animals, they'll eat you". Consequently we did a lot of driving around in search of better choices and upmarket surroundings and eventually found some great places in the Tampa area. There is a grocery store on the boardwalk which we found useful for bottles of water, juice and breakfast items until we found that the stuff we bought had passed the use by date. We never went back.

One night we were sitting in our room watching TV when the phone rang. My husband picked it up and the person at the other end was screaming abuse at him, saying that we'd just spilt our drinks down his ****ing shirt and that he'd come up to our room and "sort us out". As we were just quietly sitting in our room we didn't have a clue what he was shouting about but we weren't about to take any chances so we rang the front desk who promptly arranged for us to move to another room and tried to investigate who had made the phonecall. We were eventually told that the call was internal so must have been made by another hotel guest who they couldn't trace. Unfortunately our new room was just as small, grubby and poorly decorated but had the added problem of being a smoking room, so it stank to high heaven.

We also had a problem with the movies on the TV, which took 2 days and 4 hotel staff to sort out.

I'm sure that since the Mariott took over and refurbished this hotel things are much better, but I thought it was important to post my review as my comments regarding the size of the rooms must surely still be valid. I am astounded at the good reviews on this hotel during the period when it was still a Radisson.

On our return to the UK we complained to Virgin Holidays and were sent GBP 250.00 vouchers, which went some way to compensate for our bad experience at this hotel. It cost us GBP 2000 for our flights and accommodation and was a real waste of money.

I sure hope things have improved under Mariott's ownership!

15 Thank Jupiter