Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Forney, Texas
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel is located right next to Columbia Restaurant which I also recommend trying. The pool can be a bit crowded as there is no direct beach access. The staff were very helpful and even brought out extra umbrellas to lounge chairs where there were none upon request. The hotel does have a free shuttle that will take you to a public beach just up the road. There are watersports activities available for a fee directly at the hotel. Our room overlooked the pool from the balcony, I would request a room on the north side and you would have more of a view of teh bay. Overall, this is a nice hotel with plenty to do.

2 Thank jfwild83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The real difference maker for me at this hotel is the staff. We've stayed here twice and both times we've had great experiences with everyone we've met. It began at the front desk check-in and carried through the restaurant, the poolside bar, the housekeeping staff -- everyone was fantastic.

The hotel itself is nice. It's not quite South Beach but it's a lot better than Panama Beach. It's a good dependable location with a great team of people.

1 Thank Pacorulz
Troon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is the first time we stayed at this hotel and it certainly won't he the last. All staff we encountered were excellent. They also hold weekly receptions for Marriott rewards customers which is a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kokomo, IN
Reviewed June 21, 2014

The hotel is not on the gulf side, however, you should know this already when booking the hotel. All rooms have an amazing view of the harbor side from your private balcony. The entrance to the rooms is an exterior entrance, which you can in fact see the gulf! The staff was amazing, everyone so friendly and eager to help w/ any request. We had one issue, our mini fridge wouldn't cool. They had someone up to our room w/in 5minutes w/ a new fridge AND comp'd us FREE internet in our room for our "trouble". They offer FREE wifi in all public areas but charge from the room. The rooms are nicely appointed, mini fridge, microwave, coffee makers, hair dryers and this is an all suite property. The updates were nice and no complaints. They offer a free shuttle to the Sand Key Beach, which FYI- you can access fairly quickly across the street through a small path between the Sheraton and condos. We found this easier and faster. There is a restaurant on site, which is pricey. They offer a Starbucks on site also. The bar/grill at the pool we found to be VERY pricey and you are not allowed to carry in food or drinks. However, the pool area is nice w/ cabanas available for rent & a hot tub available. Plenty of seating and umbrellas. The boardwalk behind the pool does take you to a nice area w/ a few places to eat and shops. The Valet parking is inexpensive but we just used the free parking. There is a business center on the second floor. The fitness center appeared nice but we did not utilize the facility. They have daily events for children and offer staff babysitting for a fee (we didn't utilize this service either). The spa services available are directly onsite and the fees seemed reasonable. We enjoyed our stay here so much we will be back in September. This is a clean hotel and quieter. If you are wanting a bunch of "Clearwater Beach" action, this isn't the place to stay. We were wanting a quiet area and this was perfect!

1 Thank msditty
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Even though this 5-Star Hotel is not on the Gulf (but on the ICW) don't let that bother you. The Intracoastal Waterway view is fantastic. The Gulf is a short walk across Gulf Blvd so the distance is quite short.

The Hotel has all the amenities one could hope for. The staff from top to bottom are excellent and very customer focused.

Book your room early because this is a VERY popular hotel. If you are traveling with little ones there is a Baby Rental place that will deliver your equipment for FREE. I believe they also do Beach Rentals as well. Anyway, the Hotel has just about everything you need to make your stay comfy.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get rooms above the 3rd floor for best views of the water
Green Features: The entire staff makes sure you have the best available items to make your stay comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike D
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I read other reviews before booking this hotel and now am surprised by the higher ones. I travel quite often and stay almost exclusively with Marriott, last year I stayed 347 nights and have been a Platinum for years. I'm just pointing that out because maybe some might think I am being overly critical but if you look at my other reviews I am hardly what I would call a tough customer. Other reviews were right about the staff at this hotel, they are EXCELLENT and that is about where it stops and problems begin. I'll start with a few positives, the valet parking is inexpensive, 10 dollars and the guys are efficient and helpful, no complaints there and regular parking is FREE. The front desk staff was great and check-in was easy and I was using Marriott Points. I went to the room and we dropped our stuff and I began to look around. This is a CATEGORY 8 property meaning you pay 40K points a night to stay here and was one of the determining factors for me. I figured that if it was a Category 8 it had to be very nice. It takes a lot of nights to get 40K points so I don't like to feel gypped when I use them. This property should be a 5 or 6 and I know Marriott upped all their properties for no reason I can see other than wanting to save money at the expense of their business travelers. We were in room 826, the room was small, the entrance is more like a MOTEL than a hotel, you enter the room from outside. The bathroom was so small you could barely be comfortable in there by yourself, the shower curtain was about a foot too short, the water pressure was terrible once you threw the diverter to the shower. Paint on doors looked bad, granite countertops were added to old worn out tables in an attempt to "upgrade" them. Carpet was old and worn, the cheap closet door was falling apart. I'm not trying to be rude but it had the feel of a Holiday Inn with bathrobes in the closet. If Marriott wants to call this a Category 8 it needs a FULL remodel.
The electric wiring looked dangerous behind the desk, a very old electrical console sat on the desk to plug into, I hadn't seen one of those in years. No open electrical outlets near the beds made it inconvenient. The TV in the bedroom suddenly stopped working on check-out day, no folio was left under the door making check-out longer. There was construction going on in the lobby the entire stay which didn't help the situation and this room was going for $300.00 a night. If I had been paying cash I would have left at that point, this hotel is not worth close to that rate.
The pool area is nice but the pool is undersized for the size of the property. The pool was packed.
We sat down by the water at the bar to get some food and after being seated and not getting so much as a glass of water in 15 minutes we left and went down the board walk to a restaurant where we got good food and good service. We did return to the bar later and had a good time, the bartender Stan was very good and friendly. The room service food was marginal at best, my friend took one bite of his sandwich and left it, for two fish sandwiches and two slices of pie was over 60 dollars. View from the room was nice but there is really no beach but an area for jet skiing and other water sports.
I have been to other Marriott Suites and Resorts and this place is neither. I can't even really compare it to an Embassy Suites because those are far nicer. When I was checking out an older couple was complaining about their bathroom, specifically the tub needing re-finishing or replacing and commented about the carpet being dirty and the "age" of the property. Lastly, they give you coupons for a free continental breakfast in lieu of a Marriott Honors Lounge. This seems cheap to me and then they offer to let you pay $5.00 for a breakfast buffet upgrade. The assistant manager, Jessica tried to make things as right as they could be and she did help a lot, the problem is that this property is old and worn and nowhere near what Marriott should demand from their owners. Needless to say, I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Go to another chain. There were many better looking properties when I went looking, Sheraton across...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Larry W
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Larry W,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay.

I would like to follow on Jessica's apologies as we are sincerely sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have hoped for. We appreciate all the comments and we are planning a full room renovation starting in 2015.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Your Service,

Jan Vanco
Assistant General Manager
jan.vanco@marriott.com
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I was here on business and really enjoyed the location and hotel. It's not on the beach but on the bay. Staff were very friendly and professional. I didn't eat in the restaurant but the banquet food was very good. Pool lounge is where everyone ends up as it is relaxed and poolside.

Rooms were very clean. Note - the hotel is older so sinks and tubs are a bit worn, but clean.

It is a bit of a ways from Clearwater Beach itself, but to me that's a positive. Not so noisy. Beautiful views too!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business