“Busy but nice hotel”

Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Cheshire, Connecticut
“Busy but nice hotel”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days in late March, which I guess is Spring Break around here.
The hotel was crowded (and pretty large) and it's worth noted that check-in is 4pm not the usual 3pm. We got there early and our room wasn't ready. We hung out by the pool and they had our room ready about 2.30, so not bad.

They have a fairly large parking lot that as far as I know is free. At least I wasn't charged anything. They do have valet parking if you want it.

The lobby is modern with a restaurant/bar, a TV and a big talking bird. There's a small store that sells supplies you may need or have forgotten.

For reasons that elude me they put us in a handicapped room on the 4th floor. The room was spacious with a "living area" with a fridge, flat screen, sink, coffee maker, sofa, etc.
The bathroom was a little wacky because it was a handicapped room but fine. Then the on the other side of the room was the bed, desk and another flat screen. We were on the 4th floor and had a nice view of the water. We even saw a dolphin from the balcony. Overall the room was clean and nice but perhaps a little dated. The bed was comfy.

The pool was nice and mostly busy. Lots of kids but the public schools were on break at the time so it's not really a surprise. Also the Phillies spring training facility is somewhere nearby so there were lots of Phillies fans staying there. It's a little tricky to find but there's a boardwalk behind the bar at the pool that will take you along the water and to maybe 20 stores and restaurants. Other than The Columbia not much is all that great but there is a convenience store and for us New Englanders there's a Dunkin Donuts.

No this hotel is not directly on the beach but you can walk there across the street or take the golf-cart shuttle for 5 minutes or so. It wasn't a big deal to take the shuttle. Once at the beach you can rent two lounge chairs and an umbrella for $20 if you tell them you're staying at the Marriott (saves you 5 bucks). The beach is a public beach and very nice.

The hotel isn't right in the center of the "town", such as it is, which has it's ups and downs. It's probably a couple miles from the town which is a little far to walk to say dinner, especially if it's hot out. So now you're stuck driving which means painful traffic (even only going a couple miles!) and then finding parking (good luck). Admittedly I was there during maybe the busiest time of year but it was very irritating. And the town didn't seem all that great anyway (except Frenchys).

We interacted with many staff members during our stay and every one was pleasant and very helpful to us.

I paid $279/night (add $25 for taxes) which is expensive but it was spring break.

Overall I would stay here again and recommended it. Look around for a deal because I feel like I could have gotten a better deal if I tried harder.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ejm3
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Ejm3,

Thank you for your thorough review.

We appreciate all your comments and thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

Thank you for choosing our Marriott for your stay in Clearwater beach and I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

jan.vanco@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We booked this during one of the weeks of Spring Break. It is just one key down from the main Clearwater Beach. The local Sand Key beach was awesome and fairly quiet. We spent one day on the beach and one at the pool. The hotel drove us to the beach and the cabana rental guy gave us a $5 coupon for being from the Marriott. It was a beautiful and quiet beach, We had a big breakfast and packed snacks. There were not many fast food options on the beach. Great beach for long walks.

The pool area was so nice the kids wanted to stay there the second day. It was just big enough. The layout made it feel smaller but there were lots of niche areas. It kept it enjoyable. The bar drinks were flowing and the kids loved the Pizza Hut pizzas delivered to our chairs. They had an outdoor locker room which enabled us to stay at the pool until we had to leave for the airport.

We did not do the other activities like wave runners but they are right on property.

Two nights in a row we walked next door to Columbias for dinner. It was wonderful! Out the back of the hotel off the pool was a boardwalk to the shops and restaurants.

The breakfast at the hotel was great - we did the buffet american breakfast each day and sustained us most of the afternoon. Good options even smoked salmon. They also included omelettes made to order. As a gold member, the buffet was included but the american was a $5 upgrade.

Wish we would have stayed longer. Planned to use the Jolly Trolley to head up to Clearwater but enjoyed Sand Key so much we almost never left. (except to hit the Walgreens on Clearwater)

Rooms had microwaves and fridges if you are there for a while. Included bottled water also. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: All rooms open to the beach view and have balconies over the pool. The higher up the better the vie...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank StLouTraveller
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear STLou Traveller,

Thank you for the time taken to write such a thorough review and for staying at our hotel during your stay in Florida.

It is a shame you were not able to stay with us a little longer, but I hope next time you will be able to make your vacation a longer one.

Please let me know if we can be of any service and once again thank you for staying at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key.

Basehor, Kansas
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We got there at 4pm the rooms weren't ready. I had 3 rooms, I was told the rooms were going to be next to each other they weren't! Outside of our rooms you can see the roof they had trash! Good Customer service.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank maggie b
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Maggie B.,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay.

I apologize that your rooms were not ready when you arrived. Our check in time is 4 PM and the rooms should have been prepared for you. We try to accommodate guest requests for room locations, but unfortunately it is not always possible due to occupancy. I would appreciate it if you could contact me on my email address below, so I can get more details from you.

Thank you for reognizing our good service and we appreciate you staying with us at the Marriott during your time in Clearwater. I hope we get to welcome you back soon and once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great hotel, great standards, great staff.

Amazing hotel, superb pool area and pool bar,

Close to local amenities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Across the road to the beach, which is fine

AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! views of the bay and beach

Loved it and cannot recommend it more

Very very nice place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Matt P
Dear Matt P.,

Thank you for the review.

We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay so much and are looking forward to welcoming you back at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key again soon.

Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Just got back from Clearwater and we loved this hotel. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The pool and bar area were great and although busy Sunday was pleasant during the week. The breakfast buffet had a very good variety and the omelet was made to order. Although it's not directly on the beach you just have to cross the street and there is a great length of beach to walk and an area where you can rent chairs/cabana for $25 for the day. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the upper floor - views are great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GGtheGrandma
Dear GGtheDrandma,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay at our hotel.

We appreciate the kind words and I am happy we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one. We all sincerely hope to welcome you back again soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We held a training session there recently. The meeting rooms, food, service was excellent. No complaints. My complaint is personal. My room was fine but the room service was not good. Ordered a breakfast where the food was stone cold, the dinner - lettuce was not fresh, chicken was extremely overcooked and very dry. Room Service is not cheap. I paid $23 for breakfast and about $30 for dinner. I stayed there last year and the year before and the food was much better. Whatever change that was made was not for the better. My colleague had a similar experience in the restaurant. My only other comment was about the sound proofing on the rooms being non-existance which has been mentioned before. I could hear neighbors too well!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Annette J
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Annette J,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience. As happy as I am that overall you enjoyed your stay, I am very sorry about the experience in room service.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the below email address, so I can remedy this issue for you.

Once again my sincerest apologies about your experience and thank you for staying with us at the Marriott.

Racine, WI
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here on business - took my wife. Don't be misled - this hotel is not on any beach - must take shuttle to get there. Room was OK, but poorly soundproofed - could have done without listening to next door neighbors "intimacy". Pool was nice.

Watercolor restaurant was terrible. Grossly understaffed. It took 15 minutes to get water, and another hour to get served. Tilapia tacos were cold and tasted rancid. Lobster bisque was also cold. (the bread was good). Wife's food was poorly prepared. Waitress advised that the new chef was experimenting with the menu and that most of the comments from diners were negative. Next day's breakfast wasn't much better, and certainly no faster.

Considering that we paid ultra-premium rates for both the room and the meals, this was NOT a good deal. Oh, and the $10/day for in-room Internet in today's society is just insulting.

Room Tip: Choose a different property.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank NeilCzarnecki
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear NeilCzarnecki,

Once again thank you for writing two reviews about your stay and I am very sorry you did not enjoy your time with us.

As I asked in my response to your Watercolour Grillhouse review, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly on the below address so I can get some more details about several of the items that you have mentioned.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.