“Great location during Spring Break”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We booked this during one of the weeks of Spring Break. It is just one key down from the main Clearwater Beach. The local Sand Key beach was awesome and fairly quiet. We spent one day on the beach and one at the pool. The hotel drove us to the beach and the cabana rental guy gave us a $5 coupon for being from the Marriott. It was a beautiful and quiet beach, We had a big breakfast and packed snacks. There were not many fast food options on the beach. Great beach for long walks.

The pool area was so nice the kids wanted to stay there the second day. It was just big enough. The layout made it feel smaller but there were lots of niche areas. It kept it enjoyable. The bar drinks were flowing and the kids loved the Pizza Hut pizzas delivered to our chairs. They had an outdoor locker room which enabled us to stay at the pool until we had to leave for the airport.

We did not do the other activities like wave runners but they are right on property.

Two nights in a row we walked next door to Columbias for dinner. It was wonderful! Out the back of the hotel off the pool was a boardwalk to the shops and restaurants.

The breakfast at the hotel was great - we did the buffet american breakfast each day and sustained us most of the afternoon. Good options even smoked salmon. They also included omelettes made to order. As a gold member, the buffet was included but the american was a $5 upgrade.

Wish we would have stayed longer. Planned to use the Jolly Trolley to head up to Clearwater but enjoyed Sand Key so much we almost never left. (except to hit the Walgreens on Clearwater)

Rooms had microwaves and fridges if you are there for a while. Included bottled water also. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: All rooms open to the beach view and have balconies over the pool. The higher up the better the vie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank StLouTraveller
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear STLou Traveller,

Thank you for the time taken to write such a thorough review and for staying at our hotel during your stay in Florida.

It is a shame you were not able to stay with us a little longer, but I hope next time you will be able to make your vacation a longer one.

Please let me know if we can be of any service and once again thank you for staying at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key.

jan.vanco@marriott.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

995 - 1,001 of 1,933 reviews

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We got there at 4pm the rooms weren't ready. I had 3 rooms, I was told the rooms were going to be next to each other they weren't! Outside of our rooms you can see the roof they had trash! Good Customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank maggie b
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Maggie B.,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay.

I apologize that your rooms were not ready when you arrived. Our check in time is 4 PM and the rooms should have been prepared for you. We try to accommodate guest requests for room locations, but unfortunately it is not always possible due to occupancy. I would appreciate it if you could contact me on my email address below, so I can get more details from you.

Thank you for reognizing our good service and we appreciate you staying with us at the Marriott during your time in Clearwater. I hope we get to welcome you back soon and once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great hotel, great standards, great staff.

Amazing hotel, superb pool area and pool bar,

Close to local amenities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Across the road to the beach, which is fine

AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! views of the bay and beach

Loved it and cannot recommend it more

Very very nice place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Matt P

Dear Matt P.,

Thank you for the review.

We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay so much and are looking forward to welcoming you back at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key again soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Just got back from Clearwater and we loved this hotel. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The pool and bar area were great and although busy Sunday was pleasant during the week. The breakfast buffet had a very good variety and the omelet was made to order. Although it's not directly on the beach you just have to cross the street and there is a great length of beach to walk and an area where you can rent chairs/cabana for $25 for the day. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the upper floor - views are great
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GGtheGrandma

Dear GGtheDrandma,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay at our hotel.

We appreciate the kind words and I am happy we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one. We all sincerely hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We held a training session there recently. The meeting rooms, food, service was excellent. No complaints. My complaint is personal. My room was fine but the room service was not good. Ordered a breakfast where the food was stone cold, the dinner - lettuce was not fresh, chicken was extremely overcooked and very dry. Room Service is not cheap. I paid $23 for breakfast and about $30 for dinner. I stayed there last year and the year before and the food was much better. Whatever change that was made was not for the better. My colleague had a similar experience in the restaurant. My only other comment was about the sound proofing on the rooms being non-existance which has been mentioned before. I could hear neighbors too well!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Annette J
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Annette J,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience. As happy as I am that overall you enjoyed your stay, I am very sorry about the experience in room service.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the below email address, so I can remedy this issue for you.

Once again my sincerest apologies about your experience and thank you for staying with us at the Marriott.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here on business - took my wife. Don't be misled - this hotel is not on any beach - must take shuttle to get there. Room was OK, but poorly soundproofed - could have done without listening to next door neighbors "intimacy". Pool was nice.

Watercolor restaurant was terrible. Grossly understaffed. It took 15 minutes to get water, and another hour to get served. Tilapia tacos were cold and tasted rancid. Lobster bisque was also cold. (the bread was good). Wife's food was poorly prepared. Waitress advised that the new chef was experimenting with the menu and that most of the comments from diners were negative. Next day's breakfast wasn't much better, and certainly no faster.

Considering that we paid ultra-premium rates for both the room and the meals, this was NOT a good deal. Oh, and the $10/day for in-room Internet in today's society is just insulting.

Room Tip: Choose a different property.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank NeilCzarnecki
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear NeilCzarnecki,

Once again thank you for writing two reviews about your stay and I am very sorry you did not enjoy your time with us.

As I asked in my response to your Watercolour Grillhouse review, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly on the below address so I can get some more details about several of the items that you have mentioned.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

If you don't want to be in all the hustle/hassle that is Clearwater Beach - this may be the choice for you. The hotel is a little south on the next key. There is a nice little strip center just south of the hotel that offers some shopping a couple of restaurants and a little convenience store/deli. The hotel itself is very nice - the rooms are a bit dated, but clean. My only "complaint" is that the bathrooms are small and showing their age. I am not a fan/do not need huge bathrooms, but this set up has one sink and just enough room to stand in front of it with the toilet right next to you. Certainly adequate, but far from the roomy bath you might expect in a resort hotel.

The hotel offers a free (golf cart) shuttle down to Sand Key beach - a county park less than 5 minutes door to sand from the hotel. It was near deserted when we went. Not the white sand all the way to the water like Clearwater, but very nice if you don't want the crowds. Breakfast was included with our room - free continental, $5 per person per day to "upgrade" to a hot breakfast. Breakfast had good variety, but the service was spotty - sometimes we had immediate service for our drinks, some days not to much. The pool is nice, HEATED and there is a bar/grill that offered service right to your beach chair. Drinks were a bit watered down, but the food (fish tacos) was pretty good.

If you are looking for some good views and a quiet getaway, this hotel is a good choice. Temper your expectations on a large luxurious bath, and expect a bit older room décor/bath, but clean and comfortable for us.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the views
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Craig71188

Dear Craig71188,

Thank you for the time take to review your stay at our hotel.

I sincerely appreciate the thorough review of all aspects of your stay and I am glad we did well for you in most areas and I am sorry we have fallen short in others. Feedback such as yours is very important to us as a training tool and I really thank you for sharing with us.